The Best Thing About Neil Young Tonight... (1 Viewer)

Venue is shit. I was up in the seats towards the back. Might as well have been watching it on telly.

I was impressed with the venue - i'd good seats on the left of the stage and had a great view. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the old Point Theatre anyway.

I was impressed with the venue - i'd good seats on the left of the stage and had a great view. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the old Point Theatre anyway.

I agree.

Cinnamon: I have some sympathy with the shusher. It can be kind of irritating standing/sitting beside someone singing lustily along completely out-of-tune right in your ear for no good reason other than to show off that they know the entire words to the most obscure song in the set. I mean, at least leave it to the choruses.

I know what you mean but I was of the understanding that the very front is for the hardcore to do their thing in the mosh-pit (remember them?). I mean it's your favourite artist of all time, playing something like "Burned", which is really exciting....

I actually think I was so disgusted with the crowd around me I was singing louder to annoy them. I mean, they were waiting for him to start, then he comes out and starts ripping through Hey Hey My My and there was absolutely no change in their demeanour at all. Really bizarre.

Anyway, I can sing pretty ok, I think.

Setlist:

Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Mansion On The Hill / Are You Ready For The Country? / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Pocahontas / Words / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Lost In Space / On The Way Home / Burned / Harvest Moon / Down By The River / Get Behind The Wheel / Rockin' In The Free World // A Day In The Life

Cool.... seems he started and ended the same as the Barcelona set so.
But the midsection is completely changed.
Would've to loved to have heard Don't Let It Bring You Down.
But that was when he played Cortez The Killer, The Needle And The Damage Done, Unknown Legend, Heart Of Gold and Old Man so i shan't complain.

Would've loved to have gone last night but hopefully will catch him at Glastonbury in a few days

Just remembered that two dudes sitting behind me struck up a chorus of "Ole Ole Ole Ole" when people were cheering for an encore!

I know what you mean but I was of the understanding that the very front is for the hardcore to do their thing in the mosh-pit (remember them?). I mean it's your favourite artist of all time, playing something like "Burned", which is really exciting....

I actually think I was so disgusted with the crowd around me I was singing louder to annoy them. I mean, they were waiting for him to start, then he comes out and starts ripping through Hey Hey My My and there was absolutely no change in their demeanour at all. Really bizarre.

Anyway, I can sing pretty ok, I think.

I was given a free ticket to go see Lloyd Cole a few weeks back. The best part of the gig is when he stopped a few lines into a song and said, "Lets not make this one a sing along please." The song before was ruined by some bint (can I use this word yet because it's a good one) singing along. Thing is, if I'm a huge fan I paid/want to hear the act singing not the person beside me. Outside festival where the sound is shit, fair enough. A small venue where sound is trapped, fuck off.

I was given a free ticket to go see Lloyd Cole a few weeks back. The best part of the gig is when he stopped a few lines into a song and said, "Lets not make this one a sing along please." The song before was ruined by some bint (can I use this word yet because it's a good one) singing along. Thing is, if I'm a huge fan I paid/want to hear the act singing not the person beside me. Outside festival where the sound is shit, fair enough. A small venue where sound is trapped, fuck off.

Yeah, but there's a big difference between a lightweight strummer like Lloyd and Neil Young lashing out "Words" or "Down By The River" on electric guitar through giant speakers in a huge venue. As I said, bring back the moshpit.

How exactly did he come to be wearing half a shirt? Some kind of homage to Diego Forlan?

He was wearing a tee-shirt with a shirt over it. Halfway through one song he obviously decided he was too warm and started trying to take if off while playing. He got it halfway off but then had to start singing again ... then he just left it there.

Yeah, but there's a big difference between a lightweight strummer like Lloyd and Neil Young lashing out "Words" or "Down By The River" on electric guitar through giant speakers in a huge venue. As I said, bring back the moshpit.

Yeah, but you said the problem arose when you were singing along to On The Way Home - which is not a noisy guitar number. And you just admitted you were doing it mostly to annoy people anyway!

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what is being played through what kind of speakers at what volume - if someone is singing at the top of their voice 2 feet from your ear you are going to hear it pretty clearly.

As I said, it pisses me off a bit when people do this but you know, they paid their money too so if that's their buzz I'm not gonna let it ruin my enjoyment. By the same token, if someone wants to stand there for the entire gig stony-faced with their arms folded then that's their prerogative too. They could be enjoying the shit of it in their head and don't really deserve the "singing treatment" just because they are not giving it enough socks.

This really sounds like I'm trying to get at you. I'm not really :)

Only older women who sort of remind me of my mother and sing in a gentle falsetto are allowed to sing at gigs.

I turned down a freebie for this because I was so goddamn tired. Of course now I completely regret it.

Yeah, but you said the problem arose when you were singing along to On The Way Home - which is not a noisy guitar number. And you just admitted you were doing it mostly to annoy people anyway!

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what is being played through what kind of speakers at what volume - if someone is singing at the top of their voice 2 feet from your ear you are going to hear it pretty clearly.

As I said, it pisses me off a bit when people do this but you know, they paid their money too so if that's their buzz I'm not gonna let it ruin my enjoyment. By the same token, if someone wants to stand there for the entire gig stony-faced with their arms folded then that's their prerogative too. They could be enjoying the shit of it in their head and don't really deserve the "singing treatment" just because they are not giving it enough socks.

This really sounds like I'm trying to get at you. I'm not really :)

Leave me alone.

Ah no, I didn't give anyone the singing treatment save for the prick who told me to be quiet but I was in the mood for a row after that. Then I realised it was detracting from my enjoyment of the show, winding up this angry Brit, and I just moved elsewhere.

Ever see the Neil vid "Weld"? Why can't it be like that anymore?

I thought the O2 as a venue of that size was brilliant. You walk straight into the venue, no queues for food/drink/toilet, no obstructed views anywhere, great sound.

It's not the venues fault if you had seats in the gods and were surrounded by pricks. Though in fairness it's a rock n roll show, people going to the toilet and bar is hardly a hanging offence.

I thought the O2 as a venue of that size was brilliant. You walk straight into the venue, no queues for food/drink/toilet, no obstructed views anywhere, great sound.

It's not the venues fault if you had seats in the gods and were surrounded by pricks. Though in fairness it's a rock n roll show, people going to the toilet and bar is hardly a hanging offence.

They were at the same for Andrea Bocelli! They were giving out about it on Liveline. Big shows: people walking in and out buying pints and bloody popcorn or else just standing there. Small shows: people talking constantly and ruining it for everyone else. :) Best crowds in the world my hole.

It remindThumped - Reply to Topiced me of an American basketball stadium.
It reminded me of an airport, when i came in enterance 1.
Wasn't loud enough, Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) deserves a deafening volume, other than that im pretty glad I seen him the once although some song went on of far to long "keep on rockin'" kept on rock for the first 2 or 3 time he went back it to it but 6 times it just milking it for me anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back