shell sink fishing boat with crew on board. (1 Viewer)

I say - Shell to Shore and jail 5 more
The O'Donnnell issue is, for me, different and seperate. He is not some dilletant riot tourist or whinging luddite. I would be very uncomfortable with the notion of a company like Shell geting such a favourable deal from this state if it turned out they were at the same time waging war on one of it's citizens.
so which 5 more mayo locals would you like jailed, in particular? do you have some millward brown statistics showing which mayo inhabitants are whinging luddites and which ones are valid citizens with rights?

My two cents:

I think the issue for me will come down to exactly what happened to O'Donnell and his boat.

I don't have a problem with the pipe in principle neither do I have a problem with refining ashore. I don't believe the setup is dangerous and I think any legitimate concerns the protesters had have been addressed. I don't have a problem with the nature of the deal with shell - yes it's attractive but I see the necessity of it. Based on all that I say - Shell to Shore and jail 5 more (and if the Gardai want to crack some crusty skull in the process I wouldn't get too worked up abut it).

However:

The O'Donnnell issue is, for me, different and seperate. He is not some dilletant riot tourist or whinging luddite. I would be very uncomfortable with the notion of a company like Shell geting such a favourable deal from this state if it turned out they were at the same time waging war on one of it's citizens.

My 2c:

You're a complete cunt.

valid citizens with rights?

Bollox.

Fahy was the elected representitve at the time.
He made the deal with Shell = We made the deal with Shell. Like it or lump it.

We have a set of law and regulations and procedures which govern the planning process. If Shell follow those procedures then they get to build same as anyone else.

What right is being taken away? Having stuff you don't like happen is not a right!

Your problem is that you have a fundamental misunderstanding about the nature of how parliamentary democracy functions.

Bollox.

BULL-SHIT.

It's dumb as fuck to make the statement that just because Fahey was the elected representative then it was the Irish public too that made a deal with Shell.

First of all for the common sense concept that not everything that an elected representative does is done in the interest of the people or with their support.

Secondly because, if we grant what you say for sake of argument, it was just a portion of people voted for Fahey and in that case it's still bullshit to say "we" but you should say "the people that voted Fahey". But given the first point I don't think that's the case either.

So yeah, you really are just talking shit.

Your problem is that you have a fundamental misunderstanding about the nature of how parliamentary democracy functions.

You quite clearly have a problem too given the points above.

Bollox.

You cant possbly believe that. You cant possibly believe most of what you're saying in this thread. You're just trying to wind up a bunch of people whom you reflexively dislike on account of their politics.

Bollox.

We have a set of law and regulations and procedures which govern the planning process. If Shell follow those procedures then they get to build same as anyone else.

What right is being taken away? Having stuff you don't like happen is not a right!

you're such a dildo. the planning only went through because of a loophole, it's widely agreed (even by irish times-reading norms) that the deal was bollox, you even said so yourself.

You cant possbly believe that. You cant possibly believe most of what you're saying in this thread. You're just trying to wind up a bunch of people whom you reflexively dislike on account of their politics.

Yes I do.
It's how the system works whether people like it or not.

We vote.
They make laws.
If those laws are constitutional, they stand
You don't like it.
Vote some other way.

Untill we live in an anarcho syndicalist paradise, that's how it works.

you're such a dildo. the planning only went through because of a loophole, it's widely agreed (even by irish times-reading norms) that the deal was bollox, you even said so yourself.

Yes it was a bad deal.
However now that the deal is done the same rule of law that prevents the government illegally dispossessing you, also protects Shell.
Unpalatable - perhaps
True - certainly.

So my only recourse to a practice that operates vaguely within the letter of the constitution but fundamentally subverts the spirit of it is to wait until the next general election and vote? That's it? Like I said, you're just winding folk up so Im not gonna engage any further.

Yes I do.
It's how the system works whether people like it or not.

We vote.
They make laws.
If those laws are constitutional, they stand
You don't like it.
Vote some other way.

Untill we live in an anarcho syndicalist paradise, that's how it works.

So my only recourse to a practice that operates vaguely within the letter of the constitution but fundamentally subverts the spirit of it is to wait until the next general election and vote? That's it? Like I said, you're just winding folk up so Im not gonna engage any further.
Well you tell me.
What legal recourse do you have?

Ehm, if anything, my "The law is not always right" was actually a criticism to your way of thinking along the lines of "The law says that, they [Shell] acted within the law, tough shit" Nailer.

Just because Shell acted within the law (which is, by the way, quite debatable) doesn't mean they are right or that they have the right to do what they do at all.

Just because Shell acted within the law (which is, by the way, quite debatable) doesn't mean they are right or that they have the right to do what they do at all.

You are using "right" in 2 different contexts here.
Are they "right"? You say No. I disagree but so what.
Have they the "right". Absolutely they do. They are busy exercising the right as we speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back