shell sink fishing boat with crew on board. (1 Viewer)

subbuteo !

Website
Visit site
"Shell cannot legally remove his pots as he has a traditional right to fish there. If the pots were 'accidentally' destroyed, however, they would no longer pose an obstacle to Shell's proposed pipeline. Pat's near constant presence in his boat was the only thing keeping the pots safe. Now the boats gone.

Pat O'Donnell was twice arrested in 24 hours with no legal basis off his boat last year for fishing in an area where he has a constitutionally protected traditional right to fish as this area lies along the proposed pipeline route.
He made ministers Eamon Ryan and Eamon O'Cuiv (spotted yesterday sleeping in the Dail) aware of this at the time once again at public meeting some weeks ago but no investigation was carried out and no response given by the ministers to this..
Pat asked "Now that the law didn't work for you guys last year and Shell...am I going to meet them with balaclavas like Willie Corduff met his attackers?"

It appears that the answer is yes." http://www.indymedia.ie/article/92657
http://www.corribsos.com/

Fuckin' hell, that's shocking! Well, maybe shocking is the wrong word - just another example of big business looking after no. 1. I should say it's just fuckin awful. Bunch of cunts!

does anyone else think indymedia is a load of biased unprofessional sloppy wank?
(in general, not this story in particular)

does anyone think indymedia is a load of biased unprofessional sloppy wank?

Agreed, but as long as you keep (as least) as much of a critical head about you as when reading the news from many mainstream Dailys, then it can be a good 'Go To' site to hear the general story on Irish activist/protest related incidents. You often don't hear these storys in the MSM (that's for Indymedia-talk for mainstream media ), or just get a snippet or a report a week later, ...or a story totaally biased in the opposite direction.

does anyone think indymedia is a load of biased unprofessional sloppy wank?

do you actually want an answer or are you just trolling?

anyway.......
Biased - maybe depending on the reporter.i guess a lot of the time its used by people directly invovled in things to get a report out so this happens.
its often used to report facts etc that the normal media through biase choose not to report....there is definitely a media blackout when it come to reports on shells actions in mayo in my opinion.so who ever is writing about it is hardly going to be to concerned with giving shells side of things.

as for unprofessional/sloppy i think its main function is to get stories out there not to have amazingly written pieces....and since a lot of the people who use it are not professional journos what do you expect? of course the better the piece reads etc the better but i don't think its the most important thing.

but don't get me started on the comments section.

does anyone else think indymedia is a load of biased unprofessional sloppy wank?

That assumes objectivity exists anywhere in journalism. It doesn't. At times, the only thing seperating it from your average msm news outlet is the absence of sub editors to make things shine that and lack of contemporaneous reporting on issues people actually care about.

Quite possible that Shell have lost control of their Szeckler legion boys or whatever other right-wing paramilitaries they have taken on. Also highly possible they haven't lost control of them at all. I doubt the gardai are going to step up and Michael Dwyer them.

That assumes objectivity exists anywhere in journalism. It doesn't. At times, the only thing seperating it from your average msm news outlet is the absence of sub editors to make things shine that and lack of contemporaneous reporting on issues people actually care about.

oh come on, the bias is glaringly stronger in indymedia than say the irish times or 9 o clock news, you have to admit that. and you insult professional journalists by suggesting a quick sub editors "shine" is the only difference between them and indymedia randomers.

oh come on, the bias is glaringly stronger in indymedia than say the irish times or 9 o clock news, you have to admit that.

I don't have to admit anything. Define bias, I mean indymedia's job isn't to portray themselves as objective like RTE or the Times but the whole idea that you hold those two institutions up as pillars of objectivity speaks a great deal about their hegemonic position. Just look at RTE's behaviour with regard to Cowengate or the Irish Time's coverage of Libertas, hardly objective. Indymedia is just a place for left wing perspectives on the news, no major difference in terms of bias just a bit less professionaly presented bias. Indymedia.ie has gone to shit of late anyways.

and you insult professional journalists by suggesting a quick sub editors "shine" is the only difference between them and indymedia randomers.
I am a professional journalist actually. I know of several other professionals who have been or still are involved with indymedia. I'm currently not.

actually fuck it, this story is pretty fucking far fetched, i mean masked men with guns boarding some dudes fishing boat and sinking it? shell are cunts but they're not stupid. apparently the boat was 10 miles away form the work site and wouldnt pose a major risk to the work going ahead anyway. how in any way would this benefit shell?

Ah right, everyone ignore it then. Its about as far fetched as an Irish guy who worked as security for shell in Rossport travelling to bolivia to live and work as a mercenary and carry out bombings alongside hungarian neo-nazis he met while working on the Corrib site and ultimately ending up being taken out by the police. Except, that happened. You want links?

Ah right, everyone ignore it then. Its about as far fetched as an Irish guy who worked as security for shell in Rossport travelling to bolivia to live and work as a mercenary and carry out bombings alongside hungarian neo-nazis he met while working on the Corrib site and ultimately ending up being taken out by the police. Except, that happened. You want links?

oh please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back