• Replies 16
  • Views 1K
  • Watchers 2

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
Inspired by the Green Thread ... just my experiences for anyone thinking of using them

We're tried out a few kinds, started off by spending a lot of money on something like 20 Fuzzy Bunz (nylon-and-fleece one piece things, with a pocket to stick in an extra absorption pad). They worked ok, and there's no doubt you need a lot of nappies at the start, but Isabelle grew out of them so quick they really felt like a waste of money.

Then we got 6 Imse Vimse nappies - they're one-size-fits-all cloth nappies, so we don't have to worry about her growing out of them. They're not one-piece nappies though, you need a waterproof wrap to go over them, and they do come in different sizes - we got some 'medium' ones and they still fit ok, and she's 10 months old now. Don't get the wraps made by Imse Vimse themselves though, they're just not waterproof enough (we have popolini ones, which are fine)

The ones we mostly use now are Popolini Easyfix - one piece things again with an extra absorber you put in. They're very easy to use, and soak up a lot. We have 6 of them, and use a pamper at night (nothing we've tried keeps the cot dry at night except a pamper) and that does us most of the time, we use the Imse Vimses as a backup when we run out. The Easyfixes comes in small, medium and large - we had one small one at the start that we got along with the Fuzzy Bunz, then we moved straight to the large ones and they were fine. Still a bit of space for expansion left too. They take longer to dry than the others, btw, so you've to keep up with the washing and drying ... it's not really that hard though, you've a lot of washing and drying to do with a baby anyway

i just use an ice cream scoop to literally "scoop" the shit form my baby's arse.

B00004RHPM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I had to listen to an awful story the other day about how I was the only one of the children in the house to have pampers all the rest of them had cloth nappies.

Im going to ask a question here, cause ive been wondering an awful lot since reading this last night, do you rinse the thing first just say if it is covered in crap, or do you just throw the whole yoke into the the washing machine? If so does the water smell really bad when it comes out?

My friend Lyn, went baby sitting with our other friend and my other friend threw the shittie nappies on the fire. Lyn isnt the better of it yet, and described what happening in such good detail I nearly died with laughter she says she will never forget the smell.

one of the things that a environmental charity i'm invloved with of over here does is a "Real Happy Service" - Which is basically a laundry, cotton nappy suppply, education service for mother in rural areas (well not exclusively rural)

http://www.gentletouch.org.uk/

it is a social enterprise that was spun off from the Real nappy campaign

Roisin said:
Im going to ask a question here, cause ive been wondering an awful lot since reading this last night, do you rinse the thing first just say if it is covered in crap, or do you just throw the whole yoke into the the washing machine? If so does the water smell really bad when it comes out?
crap gets scooped out and a quick cold water rinse before nappy is washed

egg_ said:
Inspired by the Green Thread ... just my experiences for anyone thinking of using them

We're tried out a few kinds, started off by spending a lot of money on something like 20 Fuzzy Bunz (nylon-and-fleece one piece things, with a pocket to stick in an extra absorption pad). They worked ok, and there's no doubt you need a lot of nappies at the start, but Isabelle grew out of them so quick they really felt like a waste of money.

Then we got 6 Imse Vimse nappies - they're one-size-fits-all cloth nappies, so we don't have to worry about her growing out of them. They're not one-piece nappies though, you need a waterproof wrap to go over them, and they do come in different sizes - we got some 'medium' ones and they still fit ok, and she's 10 months old now. Don't get the wraps made by Imse Vimse themselves though, they're just not waterproof enough (we have popolini ones, which are fine)

The ones we mostly use now are Popolini Easyfix - one piece things again with an extra absorber you put in. They're very easy to use, and soak up a lot. We have 6 of them, and use a pamper at night (nothing we've tried keeps the cot dry at night except a pamper) and that does us most of the time, we use the Imse Vimses as a backup when we run out. The Easyfixes comes in small, medium and large - we had one small one at the start that we got along with the Fuzzy Bunz, then we moved straight to the large ones and they were fine. Still a bit of space for expansion left too. They take longer to dry than the others, btw, so you've to keep up with the washing and drying ... it's not really that hard though, you've a lot of washing and drying to do with a baby anyway

apparently the 'in' thing to do now is to raise your kids without nappies called 'Elimination Communication'
!bog

egg_ said:
bringing up a baby is tough enough as it is

yea that elimination whatsit sound like someone has plenty of time.

haven't the main nappy producers started producing "wet nappies" - after years of producing super absorbant nappies they realised that they were absorbing fluids from the skin.

or

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back