Pink Floyd (1 Viewer)

I'd pay good money to hear him play this new song and maybe some others, and some stuff from Amused to Death and Pros and Cons but not the wall ffs, he's making a mockery of it at this stage.

agreed. My favorite Waters gig was the first solo one he played here years ago. He played lots from his solo albums. Don't think most others there would agree but fuck them.

will give that song a listen.

I presume he played The Bravery of Being Out Of Range, did he? That was a deadly song. What Good Wants wasn't half as good as he seemed to think it was.

no, it was mostly the songs towards the second half of that album - Its a Miracle, Amused to Death, Three Wishes. Don't recall him playing the Bravery of Being Out of Range.

yea and actually I think I'll empty my bank account and just keep throwing 20 euro notes at him for the night

incidentally, the Trinity Orchestra played Dark Side of the Moon at Electric Picnic just gone. I was pleasantly surprised by how great it was. Made a better fist of it than Waters would now anyway.

anyone go last night? I didn't. Figured it couldn't be as good as the O2 the other year and wasn't going forking out that kind of cash to stand at the back in the cold in the middle of september.

I had a grand evening though, thanks for asking, and only remembered this was on this moring.

Anyway, hope you're all having a good day.

Roger Waters talks a whole pile of shite (heard him on the radio the other day) and won't be any use again until he gets bitter and angry like he used to be (ie: until he leaves his supermodel wife)

I didn't go to either show, I was hoping you guys would buy me a ticket for last night to mark my first ten years on thumped but alas...

A friend went to both, he texted to say it was identical to the o2 one, except on a bigger scale. He enjoyed it, but he got a free ticket.

Probably a bit better than the o2 gig for me. The best sound I've ever heard at a large scale gig, no expense spared, pa stacks everywhere. With a crew of 200 on the tour I'd say they were lucky if it was breaking even.

Happy New Year from Roger Waters

To all my friends, in fact to everyone, foe and friend.

Happy New Year!

We are all brothers and sisters in the family of man and we all deserve each others love and respect.

I have spent much of the holidays, take your pick which holiday, reading a remarkable book, “King Leopolds Ghost”. It tells the story of Leopold 11 of Belgium’s catastrophic colonization of the Congo in the late 19th century. It is an horrific read but serves us all well on a number of levels.

Firstly, it is a powerful indictment of colonialism, greed and un-regulated commerce. It would be easy to tut, tut, in disapproval of those bad old days, were it not disquietingly apparent that the rich and powerful are still much attached to the feathering of their own nests at any cost to others. (Chevron v The People of Ecuador) par example.

Secondly, there are heroes in this story, not least E.D. Morel, a humble cog in the machinery of shipping, who worked for a company in Liverpool England, discovered the calumny in the Congo through accounting, of all things, and devoted the rest of his life to exposing it. Then there is Sir Roger Casement, an Irish patriot and human rights activist who eventually gave his life for his part in the Irish republican struggle, on the gallows in Pentonville prison London in 1916.

So, here we stand, at the turning of one year into the next, looking back maybe at 2013, and wondering if there is anything to be done in 2014.

There is.

Firstly, we can learn from the examples of E.D. Morel and Roger Casement. We can admire their sacrifice, and give full voice to our admiration for contemporary whistle blowers. Daniel Ellsberg, Edward Snowden and Chelsea Manning we salute you and all the others who have gone before you. The whistle blowers are our life line to the survival of democracy, the corrupt in government cover their tracks assiduously, without The Pentagon papers how would we have ever known that President Lyndon Johnson had repeatedly lied to congress? Without these brave men, who are not prepared to hide behind the “just following orders” line of defense, the studded, padlocked, iron door marked, “CLASSIFIED” could forever stand, impenetrable, between you the people, and the information that is your constitutional right.

Secondly, keep asking awkward questions.

Is there a Palestinian Mandela?
Is there such a man, languishing in some dark prison cell?
Equally, is there an Israeli F.W. De Klerk?

Why is the Government of The U.S.A. slowly but inexorably turning its back on Mistress Liberty and The rule of Law?

I won’t bang-on, the new year is a time for positive thoughts and looking forward.

However, to look back for just a moment, it has been exciting in 2013 to see so many good people organizing in the Universities and the Churches, in the temples and the bars, uniting across boundaries of faith and nationality in support of Universal Human Rights. I feel your spirit abroad in the land, abroad across the globe. We are a fledgling movement, a mere two hundred and fifty years old, and arraigned as we are against the forces of commerce, racism, bigotry, religious extremism and narrow self-interest, the fight will be long and hard.. As Winston Churchill famously said in November 1942, “This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”

Let us make 2014 The End Of The Beginning.
Love
Roger

Did you read about his new album? Apparently it's based on the idea of a kid from Belfast asking his grandfather "why are they killing the children?" and the grandfathers attempts to explain it. Or something like that anyway. Should be good.

"It's 55 minutes long. It's songs and theater as well. I don't want to give too much away, but it's couched as a radio play. It has characters who speak to each other, and it's a quest. It's about an old man and a young child trying to figure out why they are killing the children."

Read more: Roger Waters Recording First Rock Album In Over Two Decades | Music News | Rolling Stone
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

I've never heard a post-Barrett song by Pink Floyd that I've liked but reading this thread is really interesting. Good work everyone.

I got Piper and gave it a few listens and wasn't really into it so I wrote them off forever. I'm sure they're great but I'll probably never bother again.
you'll be into it a bit more in a few years but you still won't have ventured any further.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back