Pink Floyd (2 Viewers)

My dad has that Picnic - A Breath of Fresh Air album at home on vinyl. The cover used to freak me out when I was very young.
picnic.jpg

Green is the Colour is a ripper. Grandchester Meadows was always a favorite of mine from Ummagumma along with the whole of the first cd.

I first heard Ummagumma on cassette and, as seems to have been normal, the original track order was fucked with so it alternated studio track, live track, studio track etc. Side one had Sysyphus, Astronomy Domine, Grantchester Meadows, Several Species and Careful with that axe. Side two had The Narrow Way, Set The Controls, The Grand Vizier's Garden Party and Saucerful. I preferred it like that, I liked it less after I replaced the chewed cassette with the double cd. Have the non-huge floyd albums ever been had a decent vinyl remastering or do you need to get old copies if you want vinyl? I think I might pick up the dark side one at the weekend.

I first heard Ummagumma on cassette

me too. It was the first Floyd I heard. But it was on a single side of a C90 (DSOTM was on the other side), so not much of the studio stuff made it on. I got a copy on vinyl when I was around 14 and thats the only copy I've ever owned (never had it on CD or mp3, etc). It sounds great.

Holy shit that is incredible. Is that Several Species Roger sings over the mental piano bit? I'd like to put together a good comp of these live rarities from the early years -there's only so many versions of Careful and Saucerful one needs. Or Atom Heart Mother, God! Although I think they were at their peak with Animals and The Wall I have pretty much no interest in live recordings from about the time they start playing Dark Side onwards.

Holy shit that is incredible. Is that Several Species Roger sings over the mental piano bit?

sounds a bit like it. Could be some live version of it they did. Those songs were probably almost unrecognisable from the recorded version when played live. I've heard several live versions of Interstellar Overdrive, all completely different (apart from that opening riff). I reckon they probably winged it a bit in those days - in a good way though.

The one on Tonite Lets All Make Love In London is probably my favorite. Nicks Boogie is great too. Have you seen the rehearsal video from1969? Its surely one of the great tragedies in modern music that the film crew werent allowed in to the venue to record the gig proper.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The one on Tonite Lets All Make Love In London is probably my favorite. Nicks Boogie is great too.

agreed, love both those songs and its deffo the best version of Interstellar Overdrive I've heard.

Have you seen the rehearsal video from1969? Its surely one of the great tragedies in modern music that the film crew werent allowed in to the venue to record the gig proper.

no, never saw that. Cheers. Will check it out later.

I wonder is there a definitive list somewhere of all the compilations, movie soundtracks, etc, they had songs on? Must go digging. The first time I became aware there was other stuff to be had that didn't make their albums was when I came across Zabriskie Point. I'd be surprised if there weren't more like that.

what I need to look for next;

A track entitled "Fingal's Cave" and another called "Oenone" were recorded but did not appear on the finished album. Pink Floyd also recorded other unreleased material during the same sessions. Most notable is a lengthy composition which at that time was known as "The Violent Sequence". This piece is immediately recognizable as the basis of "Us and Them" from The Dark Side of the Moon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back