Mandatory Drug Testing (1 Viewer)

Buzzo

Website
www.iprt.ie
Yesterday our Minister for Justice released new prison policy that will introduce mandatory drug testing of prisoners. Today the Irish Times is holding an online poll on the issue. We'd appreciate it if you would take a moment to VOTE NO!

Just go to the Irish Times homepage (www.ireland.com) and scroll down to the bottom left hand corner where voting for the poll is taking place.

Duders this is totally nuts. Please do it.

Pete can you leave this on the general forum just for a little bit please?? or not. whatever. thanks

jesus imagine bring locked up and not being able to do drugs! I'd go mad ted.
that scene in "in the name of the Father" where they go trippin would have never happened.

mc dowell is a hairy ass.

A ludicrous notion from the minister! But at the risk of sounding like a negative nelly, or indeed a moaning michael, online petions and polls aren't worth the paper theyre printed on.

As valid as a TV3 text-in

so what happens if they fail the test?

i'm presuming their sentences get streeeeettttcchheed.

seriously though this is bullshit.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0622/prisons.html

The Penal Reform Trust says, however, that mandatory testing will not accomplish what it is intended to do and will not remove drugs from the prison system.
In some cases, it says, prisoners will switch from cannabis to heroin because it is harder to detect in urine samples.

The new rules outline disciplinary sanctions that can be imposed on prisoners. These sanctions range from a reprimand and confinement to a cell for three days through to fines, loss of privileges such as visits and letters or a loss of up to seven days remission of sentence.

I know. But I still don't want them facists to win. I'm a very competitive activist.
Go team.

rocktopus said:
A ludicrous notion from the minister! But at the risk of sounding like a negative nelly, or indeed a moaning michael, online petions and polls aren't worth the paper theyre printed on.

rocktopus said:

heh heh! I love them - they're always some really handy number like "25% voted Yes" indicating theat a grand total of 4 people texted in.

nEiLo said:
i'm dumb. tell me why i should vote no...

for one thing, the new prison centred reality tv show that rte has in the works will be a lot less interesting without the drugs. on the other hand, the prisoners attempts to evade detection might make great tv. i'm still torn.

sorry i'm feeling silly today :)

Maybe I'm confused here but enforcing manditory drugs tests would at least in some small way go to helping stop the massive problem that ruining Irish prisons??

The point of the prison system is to help reform people but if your sending them into some heroin ridden, pee pee soaked heck hole thats gonna be fuck all chance of it happening.

Queen Buzzo said:
Yesterday our Minister for Justice released new prison policy that will introduce mandatory drug testing of prisoners. Today the Irish Times is holding an online poll on the issue. We'd appreciate it if you would take a moment to VOTE NO!

Just go to the Irish Times homepage (www.ireland.com) and scroll down to the bottom left hand corner where voting for the poll is taking place.

Why in the name of jaysis would you vote no?

You havent outlined your reasons for voting no... explain Mr

sophistafunk said:
Why in the name of jaysis would you vote no?

You havent outlined your reasons for voting no... explain Mr

drugginess = cool

mandatoriness = uncool

United nations sez so:

45/111. Basic Principles for the Treatment of Prisoners

5. Except for those limitations that are demonstrably necessitated by
the fact of incarceration, all prisoners shall retain the human rights and
fundamental freedoms set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights,
and, where the State concerned is a party, the International Covenant on
Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, and the International Covenant on Civil
and Political Rights and the Optional Protocol thereto, as well as such other
rights as are set out in other United Nations covenants.

I'll get some more crap on exactly what rights this relates to if you don't have time to look at it yourself. I don't right now.

I have to go back to work ...here's something very quick:

- drug users may turn to harder drugs as they stay in the urine for a shorter period of time
- the money that is being spent on this could be spent on education or health care programmes in prisons which would contribute to prisoner rehabilitation helping them to lead a more productive life when they are released which would therefore alleviate the rates of recidivism and save us all lots of money on stupid prison spaces.
- in case of detection I guesss inmates will have their sentences extended.... absolutely pointless when the facilities aren't there to rehabilitate them, but that's a whole other argument

Lots more. I'll get back to it.

evil bandit said:
Maybe I'm confused here but enforcing manditory drugs tests would at least in some small way go to helping stop the massive problem that ruining Irish prisons??

The point of the prison system is to help reform people but if your sending them into some heroin ridden, pee pee soaked heck hole thats gonna be fuck all chance of it happening.

They should covertly introduce drugs that melt the criminal part of the brain, thus reforming the convicts. maybe call the drug 'cake' or something catchy like that.

Ideally drug addicts that turn to crime would be treated as addicts in a clinic, not criminals in a prison.
Throwing addicts into the propsed drug free environment of prison will create a lot more problems.
Who's gonna deal with their cold turkey etc????

It's an ill conceived and badly thought out plan.
No surprises there so.

avernus said:
They should covertly introduce drugs that melt the criminal part of the brain, thus reforming the convicts. maybe call the drug 'cake' or something catchy like that.
Toad.

EDIT: hahah, www.marijuananews.com - i can see the news headlines - "25 skinner uncovered in seattle", "Bong canes five in toronto", "sign our 'bring back the golden girls' petition".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back