Mandatory Drug Testing (1 Viewer)

aoboa said:
Don't foget he's only a criminal cos he's a junky.

Thats bollocks.He/she isnt just a criminal because they are on gear.
Heroin is just an easy justification for it.
If someone held your granny up in her house with a syringe and robbed her leaving her traumatised or whatever would you give a shit if he couldnt take drugs in prison.I know I fucking I wouldnt.

brianoak said:
Thats bollocks.He/she isnt just a criminal because they are on gear.
Heroin is just an easy justification for it.
If someone held your granny up in her house with a syringe and robbed her leaving her traumatised or whatever would you give a shit if he couldnt take drugs in prison.I know I fucking I wouldnt.

That's the same argument that's used to justify the death penalty.

Junky->no money->robs people->prision->released->no money->Junky->no money->robs people->prision->released->Junky->no money->robs people->prision->released->Junky->no money->robs people->prision->released->Junky->no money->robs people->prision->released->Junky->no money->robs people->prision->released->Junky->no money->robs people->prision->released->etc etc etc etc

aoboa said:
That much I understand, the usual words instead of actions but I don't quite get the point you're making.

Neither do I...only joking.

What I'm trying to say is, its seems to be the chosen path of this government to go "hard" on crime, so they introduce harsher legislation, build new "modern" prisons, spend money on CCTV systems, try to criminalise you for having a jar or two, all that shit.

At the same time they won't spend the resources on fighting the root causes of crime, nor will they invest in rehabilitation of convicted felons or drug treatment facilities. Treatment of young offenders is appaling, and can only contribute to rising crime levels.

And in all this, its easier for them to sell the idea of going hard on crime, instead of softly softly. Think of it as the Daily Mail approach to justice, then watch the costs multiply.

I'd see this move as indicative of the government's approach to lawlessness. That make any sense?

Bottom line (for me) is that unless they include paying for proper drug rehabilitation centres in prisons, this is totally unworkable.

therecklessone said:
Neither do I...only joking.

What I'm trying to say is, its seems to be the chosen path of this government to go "hard" on crime, so they introduce harsher legislation, build new "modern" prisons, spend money on CCTV systems, try to criminalise you for having a jar or two, all that shit.

At the same time they won't spend the resources on fighting the root causes of crime, nor will they invest in rehabilitation of convicted felons or drug treatment facilities. Treatment of young offenders is appaling, and can only contribute to rising crime levels.

And in all this, its easier for them to sell the idea of going hard on crime, instead of softly softly. Think of it as the Daily Mail approach to justice, then watch the costs multiply.

I'd see this move as indicative of the government's approach to lawlessness. That make any sense?

Yeah. We were both saying basically the same thing :eek:

avernus said:
They should covertly introduce drugs that melt the criminal part of the brain, thus reforming the convicts. maybe call the drug 'cake' or something catchy like that.

But cake is a made up drug and I for one wouldn't want to be around when it gets into the prisoners Shatners Basoon..

therecklessone said:
At the same time they won't spend the resources on fighting the root causes of crime,

what are the root causes of crime? We can't expect the govenment to do everything for us. At some point you have to realise it's people's choice to do the shit they do. If they end up in Jail for their crimes then they loose certain freedoms and I think taking drugs is definitely something I'd like to see the prison service crack down on.

And maybe I'm alone here but I don't think all the prison service or the cops are half as crooked or malicious as some people believe

Thats a common misconception that all Junkies come from impoverished areas.A large proportion come from stable middle class backgrounds and have no excuse.

They do not have to rob.There is programs there to help people quit heroin if they want.

Some people dont want to help themselves.
This is from personal experience that Im not discussing on a message board.
aoboa said:
That's the same argument that's used to justify the death penalty.

Junky->no money->robs people->prision->released->no money->Junky->no money->robs people->prision->released->Junky->no money->robs people->prision->released->Junky->no money->robs people->prision->released->Junky->no money->robs people->prision->released->Junky->no money->robs people->prision->released->Junky->no money->robs people->prision->released->etc etc etc etc

What will happen if you fail the test? some kind of cold turkey? Well if they're off it then thats good, "oh but they'll fall back into it cos the government won't help them" fuck that shit, look after yourself ye dumbfuck. Blame the government, blame everyone. Fuck it they're getting en suite rooms and piped tv to their rooms in the new prison, fancy food, a drug test isn't to much to ask considering.
ya ya roots of crime, i know, blah blah. Its not good enough that they make a move to fix the prisons, they have to fix everything now at once immediately booo hiss.
And while i do partake, if any of ye naysayers smoke the doob then your also contributing to putting the young lads from the flats into prison. You contribute.

brianoak said:
Thats a common misconception that all Junkies come from impoverished areas.A large proportion come from stable middle class backgrounds and have no excuse.

They do not have to rob.There is programs there to help people quit heroin if they want.

Some people dont want to help themselves.
This is from personal experience that Im not discussing on a message board.

I never said that all junkies are from poor areas. I did imply that being a junky leads to having no money and to having to get money.
I've never been a junky and so can't say why they won't go on the programs. I'd imagine that their first thought is for heroin and how to get it NOT how to kick the habit.

Bag'o'cans said:
What will happen if you fail the test? some kind of cold turkey? Well if they're off it then thats good, "oh but they'll fall back into it cos the government won't help them" fuck that shit, look after yourself ye dumbfuck. Blame the government, blame everyone. Fuck it they're getting en suite rooms and piped tv to their rooms in the new prison, fancy food, a drug test isn't to much to ask considering.
ya ya roots of crime, i know, blah blah. Its not good enough that they make a move to fix the prisons, they have to fix everything now at once immediately booo hiss.
And while i do partake, if any of ye naysayers smoke the doob then your also contributing to putting the young lads from the flats into prison. You contribute.

A side affect to cold turkey can be death. I suppose this is fair enough?

Bluto said:
what are the root causes of crime? We can't expect the govenment to do everything for us. At some point you have to realise it's people's choice to do the shit they do. If they end up in Jail for their crimes then they loose certain freedoms and I think taking drugs is definitely something I'd like to see the prison service crack down on.

I partly agree. I'm all for personal responsibility.

I just think that if you are going to spend money at all, that it is better to spend it on education and rehabilitation than it is on measures which don't reduce criminal incidents.

Like it or not, our prison population is dominated by members of the "lower" socioeconomic groups. There has to be a reason(s) for that (other than the standard of their legal repreentation). Identify it and address it.

Id just like to point out that queen buzzo is the only person in this place (that i know of at least) that actually works in this *field*

broken arm said:
Id just like to point out that queen buzzo is the only person in this place (that i know of at least) that actually works in this *field*
Well i think we all know prisons should be places of reform and education not revolving doors back to your past, and we all know there are underlying causes of crime need to be tackled, but if you can take drugs willy nilly in a prison without fear of a test then we should all be allowed to do whatever we want, la la la laaa la laa....

brianoak said:
A side affect of being stabbed with an infected syringe can be death.

This could go in circles for ever.
It's an issue of treating causes as opposed to treating the affects.
If a junky is arrested for robbing a handbag and was sentenced to rehabilitation with most of the same conditions as imprisonment, do you not think this would be a more rational way of dealing with them than throwing them into a prison filled with drugs, or as the proposal would have, a prison with no drugs and no support system for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back