Mandatory Drug Testing (4 Viewers)

would one of these limitations be "not taking drugs"?

just wondering...

Extend the same logic to yr average everyday (and also illegal) recreational drugs. Should mandatory drug testing be introduced for everyone so?
It's all illegal innit???

I'm seeing aoife's point re. the costs of this and the benfite of rehabilitation (is this just an admission that the government don't have the willpower to reofrm the prison system for the good, and so zero tolerance is their chosen way forward?).

But I'm also seeing nEiLo's point about the limitations of incarceration, including the no taking toby's.

I feel so conflicted.

therecklessone said:
I'm seeing aoife's point re. the costs of this and the benfite of rehabilitation (is this just an admission that the government don't have the willpower to reofrm the prison system for the good, and so zero tolerance is their chosen way forward?).

But I'm also seeing nEiLo's point about the limitations of incarceration, including the no taking toby's.

I feel so conflicted.

The gov are just throwing out a crumb to the press, to make it look like they're doing something.

Think about it for a second - it's gonna create way more problems than it solves and cost WAY more money in the process.

aoboa said:
The gov are just throwing out a crumb to the press, to make it look like they're doing something.

Think about it for a second - it's gonna create way more problems than it solves and cost WAY more money in the process.

But isn't that a by-product of adopting a "tougher" line on lawlessness? More police, more CCTV, more prison places?

aoboa said:
Extend the same logic to yr average everyday (and also illegal) recreational drugs. Should mandatory drug testing be introduced for everyone so?

i see your point, but they are in prison after all. you can't have people breaking the law in gaol!!!!

therecklessone said:
But isn't that a by-product of adopting a "tougher" line on lawlessness? More police, more CCTV, more prison places?

All they keep doing is proposing new legislation instead of paying for the resources to enforce and implement current laws etc.

nEiLo said:
no you spa, he means that it could be abused by the guv'ner

zactly. People who aren't taking drugs the prison doesn't like suddenly magicing up "positive" results.And they get to hang on to them for whatever reason.These laws last a long time usually once they are passed it's a bugger to get rid of them. There could be a social context in ten years time where we wish this law had never been passed.dunno. I like drugs.

Its happened before.

nEiLo said:
i see your point, but they are in prison after all. you can't have people breaking the law in gaol!!!!

Okay, so lets appeal to your human side.
Is throwing a junky into jail to go cold turkey with no support cool?
Don't foget he's only a criminal cos he's a junky.

aoboa said:

the irish equivalent of haliburton will probably carry out the tests...

but there is still some logic to the tests... to solve (or help solve) the drug problem in prisons...

how do you stop it so? do you rigourously search visitors to the prison? that would meet with huge opposition too.

i feel that adopting a right-on attitude to every situation/problem will not solve anything.

aoboa said:
All they keep doing is proposing new legislation instead of paying for the resources to enforce and implement current laws etc.

Yeah, but do you not see my point? Instead of tackling crime with the already hefty series of measures available to them, they continue to introduce new legislation criminalising larger sections of society and increasing the associated costs? So look at this in that context.

aoboa said:

By that logic, every time someone comes to visit you're liable to be strip searched by a prison guard in your own home.

therecklessone said:
Yeah, but do you not see my point? Instead of tackling crime with the already hefty series of measures available to them, they continue to introduce new legislation criminalising larger sections of society and increasing the associated costs? So look at this in that context.

That much I understand, the usual words instead of actions but I don't quite get the point you're making.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back