is the internet stifling music. (1 Viewer)

ann post

Supporter
Solutions
By John Taylor
Duran Duran bassist
999999.gif

I hated being a teenager, until I discovered just how powerful the world of popular music was. It helped me find an identity and find myself.
Not just the notes and beats, but the icons and the haircuts and the clothes and the liner notes. Music saved me in a way, or at least it gave me a sense of direction of how life could be.
I became a teenager in 1972. In 1972, I was listening to music that was almost exclusively made in 1972. Some of it had been made in 1971, but that was about it, with few exceptions.

continued...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8347178.stm

ah now, don't be Mitchum about this, Duran Duran are great.

and he's got a point to an extent. But maybe people just listen to music differently now

all queries should be addressed to Bob Lefsetz

'This relative lack of need for current, innovative culture can cause, has caused, is causing - maybe - the innovative culture to slow down....'

Total fucking nonsense article.

I like Duran Duran. Pretty hit and miss after the first album though.

Vaguely relevant but always entertaining:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

???? Yeah well thats life things change , If he had of taught like this in 72 he wouldnt have got anywhere then. If anything the internet has made it much easier for people to get their stuff heard............... blah balah blah social networking

I kind of know what he's getting at. I remember being in Bruxselles a few years ago, on the "indie" side, and they were playing loads of sixties bands, beatles, stones, Kinks ect, all of which I love. But I kind of thought it would be like being back in the sixties and going to pubs and listening to Sinatra & all that crooner shit instead of the latest music. Listening to the music of your parents generation.

I do think pop and rock music is becoming a bit like classical music, a museum basically where it becomes nigh on impossible to improve on the music of the past,
so we end up listening to the old stuff. I as guilty of this as anyone.

We're the box set generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back