Ireland squad for the Bulgaria game (1 Viewer)

Was at the game on Friday and Leon Best is shite, thats for sure. Too slow & direct. His running off the ball was far too laboured for someone with something to prove. Folan has alot more to offer.

Mcgeady, when he came on, again, ran around like a spa, but gave no real penetration. Hunt should start Saturday.

Foley & St Ledger look very promising for the future. Didnt think much of Lawrence except for he's built like a wrestler.

Andrews was the stand out player for me. Always looking for the ball and his distribution was much better than previous games.

000251d810dr.jpg

So you do this, and then, when you land, you roll about on the ground until the referee gives you the penalty

why not play st ledger right back rather than break up a solid CD partnership? Heard its to do with Petrov but seems a bit risky. This game will end 1-1.

Not sure about that idea. As far as I know St. Ledger hasn't played regularly at fullback since he was at the posh, despite breaking up the Dunne, O'Shea axis I think it's a better idea to pick players in positions that they're comfortable playing in.

Yes, he'll stick O'Shea at right full and that's the right call.
I think that established partnerships are less important in our relatively impoverished situation than having one experienced, reliable performer who can guide or lead a younger partner in as many areas of the field as possible.

I really can't see us picking up anything from this game. Hope I'm wrong.

Can't gift them as much posession and time on the ball as we did in the Dublin match, or we'll be murdered.. The fact that it's more or less must-win for Bulgaria might work in our favour, if we manage to avoid conceding early on and hit them on the break wherever possible. Bulgaria are missing a couple of first choice defenders and their defence seemed to be their weakest point anyway. Hopefully Whelan and Andrews have adjusted well enough to their international roles at this stage that they won't be totally overrun\bypassed like they were in some of the earlier games. Hard to be too optimistic, given our appaling record of actually winning away games against decent sides and our worse record in partisan Eastern European capitals, but a draw would do just fine here.. going to be tense though.

My opinion on the game: We're fucked
I expect Bulgaria to come away with at least a 1 goal win, unless our defence performs heroically. Trapittoni should get Dunne in the dressing room before the match, and show him the video of Paul McGrath playing Italy in the 94 World Cup, and just say "You do that today"

I'm very nervous about midfield, as usual, but a draw is very doable. They are really not up to much - three decent footballers and eight basically shit ones.
A draw would be grand. It's amazing to think that we haven't beaten a quality side away in a qualifier since 1987!!

I'm very nervous about midfield, as usual, but a draw is very doable. They are really not up to much - three decent footballers and eight basically shit ones.
A draw would be grand. It's amazing to think that we haven't beaten a quality side away in a qualifier since 1987!!

And if we do happen to win tonight, we still won't have beaten a quality side away in a qualifier since 1987

And if we do happen to win tonight, we still won't have beaten a quality side away in a qualifier since 1987

This away thing bugs me. Draw away and win at home against the top sides is the mantra I believe in. Who gives a toss if we don't beat these savages tonight as long as we qualify.

This away thing bugs me. Draw away and win at home against the top sides is the mantra I believe in. Who gives a toss if we don't beat these savages tonight as long as we qualify.
Why does it bug you? Your mantra is fine, but have you enjoyed the thrill of Ireland beating a good team away? It's a good feeling, and it's been a while, is all I'm saying.
Anyway, my mantra is aim to beat your nearest rivals home and away and kill the fucking thing off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back