Do any of you ACTUALLY exercise? (3 Viewers)

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
If so, say someone with bad lungs wanted to lose 2 stone. What would be the best way to go about it? I know the whole eat healthy thing, not a problem. Exercise on the other hand, not my bag. Not the greatest swimmer and don't think I could run (at least not yet) walking fast enough to almost running maybe but their are no marathons in my future. Does lifting weights really just bulk muscle or does it help burn calories more than cardio?

What would be a good gym plan to lose say, 5 pounds a month and be 30 pounds lighter in about six months? Is that even realistic?

IDoes lifting weights really just bulk muscle or does it help burn calories more than cardio?

the act of lifting weights doesn't necessarily burn that many calories. What happens is when you build up muscle (which doesn't necessarily mean turning yourself into a meathead weightlifter - simply toning muscles is perfectly fine), your metabolism speeds up. Your body burns more calories going about day to day activity to sustain the muscle. Thats why lifting weights is probably the best thing anyone can do to control their weight. In the short term you might see a slight weight gain (cos muscle is heavier than fat), but it'll plateau after a bit.

Remember, light weights and high reps = tone.
Heavy weights and low reps = meathead brain-dead bodybuilder types.

What would be a good gym plan to lose say, 5 pounds a month and be 30 pounds lighter in about six months? Is that even realistic?
a mixture of weights and cardio. They should really go hand in hand. The cardio for actualy calorie burn (the cross-trainer is probably the best machine for calorie burn).

The key to any programme though is to come up with a routine that you're comfortable with. The last thing you want is for the gym to become a chore. You won't last out a month if thats the case.

the act of lifting weights doesn't necessarily burn that many calories. What happens is when you build up muscle (which doesn't necessarily mean turning yourself into a meathead weightlifter - simply toning muscles is perfectly fine), your metabolism speeds up. Your body burns more calories going about day to day activity to sustain the muscle. Thats why lifting weights is probably the best thing anyone can do to control their weight. In the short term you might see a slight weight gain (cos muscle is heavier than fat), but it'll plateau after a bit.

Remember, light weights and high reps = tone.
Heavy weights and low reps = meathead brain-dead bodybuilder types.

a mixture of weights and cardio. They should really go hand in hand. The cardio for actualy calorie burn (the cross-trainer is probably the best machine for calorie burn).

The key to any programme though is to come up with a routine that you're comfortable with. The last thing you want is for the gym to become a chore. You won't last out a month if thats the case.

Thanks for a real answer.

no worries.

and just to add to that. Once the weight does come off (and it will), it will go back on just as quickly if one settles into their old ways.

an active lifestyle and daily exercise (even if its only a 20 minute walk), is the way to keep it off.

no worries.

and just to add to that. Once the weight does come off (and it will), it will go back on just as quickly if one settles into their old ways.

an active lifestyle and daily exercise (even if its only a 20 minute walk), is the way to keep it off.

Well, I walk everywhere. Plus I just got the bike fixed. No buses or taxis for me.

What would be the best way to go about it?

Amputation

I know the whole eat healthy thing, not a problem. Exercise on the other hand, not my bag. Not the greatest swimmer and don't think I could run (at least not yet) walking fast enough to almost running maybe but their are no marathons in my future.

Any and all exercise is good, if you can't run a decent distance then going for brisk walks is a good start and build up from there.

Does lifting weights really just bulk muscle or does it help burn calories more than cardio?

Depends on the weights you're lifting, high resistence and low reps bulks up, lighter weights and more reps tones up.

I've lost a couple of stone in the last year or so and I've not gone near a gym. I've a routine of doing bodyweight exercises 4 times a week then trying to go for a couple of walks on my off days.

I've lost a couple of stone in the last year or so and I've not gone near a gym. I've a routine of doing bodyweight exercises 4 times a week then trying to go for a couple of walks on my off days.

Well, I brought a gym membership and it has been 5 months and I have never stepped in. I am wasting money here. I figure in the months I have left, I should utilize it.

This was me on Wednesday

story5-2.gif

This is me today (the lad on the right):

Image3.gif

I :heart: running.

I found exercise pretty painful when I used to smoke. The difference in my ability to do it and my pleasure from it is immense since I quit.

I found exercise pretty painful when I used to smoke. The difference in my ability to do it and my pleasure from it is immense since I quit.

I've never smoked, shouldn't even be around it, in fairness. Running is something I don't think I could ever do long distance. That's why I am thinking short stints at the gym.

I do a brisk 30 minute walk at least twice a day, sometimes carrying hand weights (groceries). I find that this meets my current exercise requirements.

Eating only when you're hungry, eating slowly to give your body time to register that you're full, and stopping when you are full is also a good idea.

Edit: Not to suggest that you eat too much, H, that's just general advice :)

I fixed that for you. Small steps, my friend. I would probably last two minutes then vomit. Granted, that might speed up the process.

ah i'm only messin'. i'm in exactly the same boat. i reckon jogging is gonna be the answer for me. if i ever get off my pudgy arse that is. and it's free. and i'd rather get a cancer than join a gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo

Ah cram it, you smug hoor.

Actually, I'm hoping to join the ranks of the smug hoors after this weekend.
Apart from hospital stays I don't think I've gone more than a fortnight without getting drunk in around 13 years; if I don't but, i'll never get off the cigs.

I am hungover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back