my arm hurts... (1 Viewer)

sweetoblivion

Live from her fairytale world of clouds and pixies
I thought maybe one of you learned people might be able to give me advice on this. (sorry for the long post!!)

Last year (around August/Sept) I fell and landed on my arm and fractured my humerus bone in my left arm (at the top). I didn't have a cast but was in a sling and wasn't allowed lift it, etc etc. After four months I had physio for a few weeks and the movement improved really quickly so I just had to do exercises at home.

For a while it was a bit weird but it was pretty much 99% better for months.
Then I joined a gym (Shapes, one of those women only gyms, not a 'proper' gym) a few weeks ago, and since last week my arm's started twinging and now tonight it's quite sore.

One of the machines works your leg muscles, you pull it down so you're in a squatting position - but it was really hurting my arm to lift it and at one point when it leaned on my shoulder it felt like it had after I'd broken it (which wasn't sore, just a dull pain)

Have I done damage to it?
Or is this to be expected?
Or have I just not been warming up properly/cooling down properly?
Do I need to go back to a physio?

If anyone has advice it would be great.
Thanks in advance!!

Thanks!
yeah I think I'd better call into one tomorrow. :( I forgot to mention that I did jack all exercise up till a few weeks ago so that could be it too...

Also when I first broke it I was told it wasn't broken; then four days later it was fractured; then it was dislocated; then it wasn't dislocated; then the fracture was on the left hand side; then there was no fracture on the left hand side, just at the very top..... bloody Irish health service.
From looking at the x-ray myself, while I'm no expert, it was clearly smashed at the top right under the shoulder blade. Dodgy place to break.

sounds like a tendon injury, but what do i know
definitely see a doctor or physio before continuing
of course, thumped knows best.

I concur. Thats exactly what it sounds like. I would go to physio. They can massage out any scar tissue for you (slightly painful, but worth it).

And yeah, any more you should stretch the hell out of that area, and make sure its well and truly warmed up before putting any strain on it. The shoulder/upper arm area is one that can easily be worked on. Get some decent stretches from the physio. The best one is just to spin your arms (pivot at the shoulder), keeping them straight, as if you're doing a poor impression of a windmill. Speed up and slow down. Repeat several times.

If you want more let me know and I can give details.

yeah I think I'll ring my physio and try to get an appointment. I really hope it's not a tendon injury. :(
I know the exercises you're taking about there Scutter, I did a few of them but I'll do more next time I'm warming up.

Massaging out the scar tissue sounds painful - when I first got physio I nearly cried when she massaged my arm, the muscles were all knotted and shortened from being in a sling. Sorest thing I've ever experienced, seriously.

Thanks so much for the advice, much much much appreciated!!

did they gym not asess your fitness/mobilty and ask you about your past or present injuries before they set an exercise programme? or did you lie to appear Rollins-like?

i kinda feel that ladies gyms are pooh because they just assume you wanna fad diet and grind your behind to get in a bikini

i had to give the fitness instructor a lengthy list of sports and music realted dislocations, breaks, sprains and what have you before he let me near the gear. i even had to show him my orthotics.

..... i even had to show him my orthotics.

Kenneth%20Williams%20UPP.jpg

did they gym not asess your fitness/mobilty and ask you about your past or present injuries before they set an exercise programme? or did you lie to appear Rollins-like?

i kinda feel that ladies gyms are pooh because they just assume you wanna fad diet and grind your behind to get in a bikini

i had to give the fitness instructor a lengthy list of sports and music realted dislocations, breaks, sprains and what have you before he let me near the gear. i even had to show him my orthotics.

Nope I told them about my arm and the gym instructor was the person who said my arches looked funny...the gym I'm at certainly isn't one where they encourage you to fad diet etc. There are loads of women of all different sizes and I'm one of the youngest there. The 'proper' gym was too expensive for me and is in a different town so to be honest I know I'd be too lazy to go. This one's down the road so I've no excuse. Have my first yoga class tonight, hopefully that won't involve much arm work :rolleyes:

For those who kindly gave me advice, an update.
I didn't injure my arm again :) thank god!
Turns out my muscles are incredibly knotted all over my arm, back and neck and exercising for the first time in years exacerbated that. Also I have bad posture and work at a computer so that made it worse. I just had a wonderfully painful massage and have to go back another few times to sort myself out but it's nothing major thank god.

Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated.
Thumped may be for pricks, but sometimes those pricks rule! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back