Champions League 2012-2013 thread (1 Viewer)

Pity. Celtic were great for an hour I misjudged them actually they do play some good ball. They really remind me of Everton, just don't have a Peanut or Ossie type in midfield though.

Juve are a seriously professional side. Their back 3 are really top players. Considering how far Italy went in the Euros I wouldn't be too surprised if they "surprise" a few people.

Celtic would have got something from that game if the referee had the balls and sense to properly penalize Juventus for all their cheating on corners. Lichtsteiner should have been off the pitch, and Scott Brown should have been awarded a penalty (he was being fouled when the ball was in play).
Instead, the referee does nothing, and two minutes after the Brown incident, Juve go up the pitch and win the game.
Basically, Celtic are out of the Champions League again due to an awful referee.

Edit: Well, I say out - who knows, they might go and win 3-0 in Turin? Wouldn't be the biggest surprise considering how much domination they had for the majority of the game tonight.

Celtic would have got something from that game if the referee had the balls and sense to properly penalize Juventus for all their cheating on corners. Lichtsteiner should have been off the pitch, and Scott Brown should have been awarded a penalty (he was being fouled when the ball was in play).
Instead, the referee does nothing, and two minutes after the Brown incident, Juve go up the pitch and win the game.
Basically, Celtic are out of the Champions League again due to an awful referee.

Edit: Well, I say out - who knows, they might go and win 3-0 in Turin? Wouldn't be the biggest surprise considering how much domination they had for the majority of the game tonight.

I don't totally go along with that

Firstly they dominated for an hour against an Italian side who were a goal up, that's pretty standard stuff. Brown did a great job on Pirlo til he got booked.

Vintage CL refereeing alright, Lichstiener is some bollox. The ref did book Lichstiener, but he just turned around and did the same a second later. Which is where my slight issue with your post is.

I hate Stoke style defending, don't get me wrong. It is cheating and the Italians are always at it and always have been, But It so was obvious that he wasn't going to give a penalty that I kind of feel it was up to Celtic to mix it up from set pieces to see if they could get something from them in spite of what was going on. The delivery from corners was poor enough anyway. they never managed to put the ball in an area where it was going to force the ref into giving a penalty if you know what I mean, and they never really seemed to have a plan B from set pieces. Juve for example knew they weren't going to get fuck all from corners and managed to get the ball out to Vidal twice or three times, didn't come to anything but it if Celtic tried to mix it up they might have caught Juve on the hop.

When we lost to Stoke last season we should have had 8 penalties but it was made worse by the fact that we could have had 3 goals from the quality of the ball into the box. Celtic managed one great ball into the box, got a free header and should have scored but didn't.

They were excellent for an hour should have gotten something out of it but you could see the tide start to turn as it went on.

Hope they do get 3 in Turin but I can't see it. Then again I said they wouldn't get out of the group so what do I know

Celtic's problem was/is that they're not terribly good. Too many mistakes. The ref didn't aske Ambrose to fall over and gift possession a yard outside his own box for the second. Etc. To be fair that was an awesome performance from Juve. Away from home, in a difficult arena, and they got teh job done and won comfortably. They're an excellent team, no real weaknesses and options from the bench.

Celtic's problem was/is that they're not terribly good. Too many mistakes. The ref didn't aske Ambrose to fall over and gift possession a yard outside his own box for the second. Etc. To be fair that was an awesome performance from Juve. Away from home, in a difficult arena, and they got teh job done and won comfortably. They're an excellent team, no real weaknesses and options from the bench.

Celtic where better than i thought they would be though. If Ambrose had buried that header it might have swung their way.

I've been thinking about how to get past the Stoke corner defense since I was criticising Celtic for not being able to, Didn't Laurent Blanc have a tactic when he played for France where he used to arrive in the box at a brisk jog literally as the corner was being taken and thusly was virtually impossible to mark ? I can't find any footage of him doing it but I remember him doing something weird from corners in the 1992 euros. Anyone remember what it was ?

I'm just sayin that if the ref. had given Celtic a penalty, and they had made it 1-1, it would have been a different game, and I very much doubt Celtic would have lost let alone conceded another 2 goals. The heads definitely went down though when they realised the ref was going to fuck them all night long. Celtic have written to UEFA about the marking apparently, fair play to them - if that had been Juve against Barcelona, or United, or Bayern, there's no fucking way they would have got away with that shit.

I'm just sayin that if the ref. had given Celtic a penalty, and they had made it 1-1, it would have been a different game, and I very much doubt Celtic would have lost let alone conceded another 2 goals. The heads definitely went down though when they realised the ref was going to fuck them all night long. Celtic have written to UEFA about the marking apparently, fair play to them - if that had been Juve against Barcelona, or United, or Bayern, there's no fucking way they would have got away with that shit.

Bollox. Barcelona are as bad a bunch of culprits of the Stoke style as anyone else. Puyol is always at it. Ambrose should have scored with his free header they might have gotten something out of it.

Any other era in football you'd be saying Bayern and Juve look like real contenders but now we have to wait til tomorrow to judge them against the proverbial yardstick. It'd be great if Milan managed a result. Might even be a bigger shock than celtic managing to beat them.

Dear TV producers.

Stop getting Barcelona fans to do commentary on their matches and continually point out that they are the "best club side in the world" They're playing AC fucking Milan for christ sake not the MK fucking Dons. Had to stream it on Al Jazera Trevor Brooking is a fucking joke who knows fuck all about football tactics. The way he went on at half time you'd have sworn Milan had spent the first half punching people and throwing shit at children. Steve McManama was the only one being objective and he's ex Real. Ray Wilkins was just Ray Wilkins saying "Italians can defend what do you want them to do against that ?"and Gary Fucking Lineker obviously just hates defenders who actually defend.

Anyway that aside that was great. Milan got it spot on. Praying they see it out in the Camp Nou.

Milan did indeed give a masterclass in how to play against Barca. Only problem now is that the 2nd leg could be an insipid affair with everything from the 1st leg minus the Milan counter attack (see Chelsea v Barca last year).

Only problem now is that the 2nd leg could be an insipid affair with everything from the 1st leg minus the Milan counter attack (see Chelsea v Barca last year).

I wouldn't describe that second leg from last year as insipid. The football wasn't all that great bt it did have plenty of tension and spectacle.

Plus Lionheart JT got sent off for kicking Sanchez up the hole, that was great.

I wouldn't describe that second leg from last year as insipid. The football wasn't all that great bt it did have plenty of tension and spectacle.

Plus Lionheart JT got sent off for kicking Sanchez up the hole, that was great.

Sorry, insipid might be a bit strong. The word seems to be fresh in my head...possibly from watching Arsenal on Tues.

ooohh...that's a deep burn.

Looking forward to watching tonight's big game, the away goals are a big factor but Shaktar got a point away in Turin and actually looked quite decent in a losing effort at Stamford Bridge in the group stages.

Just kidding, I'll be watching the united game.

I reckon United will need to score 3 goals to go through tonight.

Looking forward to watching tonight's big game, the away goals are a big factor but Shaktar got a point away in Turin and actually looked quite decent in a losing effort at Stamford Bridge in the group stages.

Just kidding, I'll be watching the united game.

I reckon United will need to score 3 goals to go through tonight.

I woke up with the same feeling and now I'm genuinely considering watching Shaktar and Dortmund. God I hope I'm wrong.

I woke up with the same feeling and now I'm genuinely considering watching Shaktar and Dortmund. God I hope I'm wrong.

Real are a vile club, run by a series of spendthrift megalomaniacs, with a prick for a manager and a preening shithead of a star player who have long standing links to the Spanish establishment, be it royalty or Franco.

And I still hope United lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back