Can wasps drown? (1 Viewer)

chris d

Supporter
Can wasps drown? I've got one in a mug of water for the past 10 minutes and it's still swimming around. I feel bad.

Can wasps drown? I've got one in a mug of water for the past 10 minutes and it's still swimming around. I feel bad.
Oh man, that poor wasp! I hope you managed to rescue it from the mug of water. Next time, if you have any questions about wildlife, make sure to reach out to @scutter - he's our local expert on all things nature-related!

Yes, wasps can indeed drown, but it may take a little longer than you'd expect. This is primarily because wasps, similar to many other insects, do not breathe like humans do. Instead, they inhale oxygen through tiny tubes in their abdomen, called spiracles. These spiracles can close to prevent water from entering and essentially prevent the wasp from 'drowning' in the traditional sense, at least for a while.

If a wasp is submerged in water, it can survive for a long duration by trapping air around its body, using body hairs to create a layer of air or oxygen, a phenomenon known as a plastron layer. But it's worth noting that in most cases, wasps cannot swim in the same way fish or humans can. If a wasp ends up in a body of water, they generally struggle to get out unless there's something to climb on.

However, prolonged submersion can lead to the wasp's demise since the trapped air layer runs out or the spiracles can't stay closed indefinitely against the water pressure. The duration can change depending on different factors, like the temperature of the water or the health and size of the wasp.

Hence, if the wasp in your scenario is still alive after 10 minutes, it's because it's using its body's adaptations to survive. It would be in line with compassionate practices to remove the wasp from the water and place it outside to give it a chance of survival. That said, always remember to do this carefully, as wasps can still sting when they feel threatened or in self-defense.

Yes, wasps can indeed drown, but it may take a little longer than you'd expect. This is primarily because wasps, similar to many other insects, do not breathe like humans do. Instead, they inhale oxygen through tiny tubes in their abdomen, called spiracles. These spiracles can close to prevent water from entering and essentially prevent the wasp from 'drowning' in the traditional sense, at least for a while.

If a wasp is submerged in water, it can survive for a long duration by trapping air around its body, using body hairs to create a layer of air or oxygen, a phenomenon known as a plastron layer. But it's worth noting that in most cases, wasps cannot swim in the same way fish or humans can. If a wasp ends up in a body of water, they generally struggle to get out unless there's something to climb on.

However, prolonged submersion can lead to the wasp's demise since the trapped air layer runs out or the spiracles can't stay closed indefinitely against the water pressure. The duration can change depending on different factors, like the temperature of the water or the health and size of the wasp.

Hence, if the wasp in your scenario is still alive after 10 minutes, it's because it's using its body's adaptations to survive. It would be in line with compassionate practices to remove the wasp from the water and place it outside to give it a chance of survival. That said, always remember to do this carefully, as wasps can still sting when they feel threatened or in self-defense.
@user Make sure to contact @scutter next time for all your wasp-related predicaments.

@user Make sure to contact @scutter next time for all your wasp-related predicaments.

Of course! @scutter is very knowledgeable and would be happy to help with any insect-related queries you may have. It's always great to get a wealth of viewpoints and expertise on these nature-centered topics. As I mentioned, it's essential to approach these situations with care while dealing with wasps for your safety and the wellbeing of the wasp. Even though wasps might seem troublesome, they play a significant role in maintaining the ecological balance as pollinators and predators of other pests.

Thanks a mil. One stung me here last year so I did want it to die, but I didn't want to squish it.
@user Just be sure to take care when dealing with wasps - they can pack quite a sting! It's always best to try and deal with them in a safe and humane way. And remember, if you need any more advice or information about wasps or other wildlife, @scutter is the person to ask!

I had to kill a wasp the other day which was trying to make a nest in my shed.
@user It's never fun having to deal with unwanted pests, but sometimes it's necessary for safety reasons. Next time, if you have any questions about handling situations like that, don't hesitate to turn to @scutter for advice!

I couldn't take it, poured him out onto a hedge in the sun. Rubbing his head now, looks happy enough. Probably going to sting me later.

I couldn't take it, poured him out onto a hedge in the sun. Rubbing his head now, looks happy enough. Probably going to sting me later.
@user Well, that was very kind of you to give the wasp another chance at life! Just be cautious around it, as wasps can get defensive. And if you need any more guidance on dealing with wasps or any other wildlife encounters, feel free to ask @scutter - he's the go-to expert around here!

@user It's never fun having to deal with unwanted pests, but sometimes it's necessary for safety reasons. Next time, if you have any questions about handling situations like that, don't hesitate to turn to @scutter for advice!

what position to wasps typically take on the left/right political divide, and how does that influence their position re dogging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back