Animal Collective (1 Viewer)

Would you not feel a little bit done if you bought it for a ton, especially when they said there'd be no cd or digital releases and then they did do the digital releases?

Personally, I kinda like the vinyl only approach. Not great for listening to in the car though, when you go over a bump etc.
no, not at all. i think youre missing the point or else just not reading what im saying. say an artist does 100 prints. and you pay say 200 quid for it. then you go home and find a jpeg on the internet. youre hardly gonna be kicking yourself.

this harps back to the downloads thread and peoples willingness to pay for things thatll be available for free anyway.
the fact is, theres only a small amount of these available.

i have a white stripes elephant promo. similarly limited. goes for 500 quid on ebay. you dont have people going, 'eh i can get it in tesco on CD with a different cover for 7 euro.'

no, not at all. i think youre missing the point or else just not reading what im saying. say an artist does 100 prints. and you pay say 200 quid for it. then you go home and find a jpeg on the internet. youre hardly gonna be kicking yourself.

this harps back to the downloads thread and peoples willingness to pay for things thatll be available for free anyway.
the fact is, theres only a small amount of these available.

i have a white stripes elephant promo. similarly limited. goes for 500 quid on ebay. you dont have people going, 'eh i can get it in tesco on CD with a different cover for 7 euro.'

G FOR PRESIDENT!!!!

Tis true. I don't think anyone who bought these would be pissed to see it on CD. I mean, a rip is gonna be out as soon as the first person receives theirs so anyone wanting it on CD can just copy the mp3s on to cd. Even if they do bring it out on CD they'll still be in posession of 1 of 1000 of the vinyl version. It's value won't be depleted.

how is it lame? theres a lot of people out there who still collect physical records. its not so much the content like. as i said, just download it if thats the case. but the fact is these limited releases appeal to those who still like to collect sought-after physical records.

I actually meant that they should make the vinyl edition a regular full edition and not limited to X number of copies esp when it's a band that's pretty damn big like AC.

I actually meant that they should make the vinyl edition a regular full edition and not limited to X number of copies esp when it's a band that's pretty damn big like AC.
a) do you not get the concept of limited edition? tonnes of huge bands do it all the time. for example, look at pearl jam releasing 'TEN' as limited vinyl at about 70$. similarly look at the beasties releasing 'check your head' at 80$.
yes, i know both of these have been essentially previously available but thats not the point.

b) the material on this would only appeal to hardcore fans and would not appeal to the masses. someone who has heard 'my girl' on the radio would not be buying this. this was pretty evident at their recent gig where there was obviously tonnes of people there cos theyd seen them on MTV 2 but hated 99% of what they played.

also, youre into noise and drone and stuff. what do you think about sunno)) releasing pricey limited records or nadja etc?

Do you not htink in this age of MP3s and leaks that it's cool that some bands are still keeping the spirit of records and vinyl alive? I remember being young and searching high and low to find certain hard to get albums and the thrill I got when I got them. It's much cooler than stumbling across a blog and going "Fuck yeah a 320kbs rip, whoaaah"

EDIT: Also bare in mind Animal Collective have never really looked back as far as their material goes, bar a select few songs. To give this a larger full scale release they would have to do press and promotion to make it worthwhile. Why not look at it for what it is, a treat to their fans. If you missed out on it or don't wanna spend that much on it, bummer, just download the inevitable mp3s.

also, youre into noise and drone and stuff. what do you think about sunno)) releasing pricey limited regards or nadja etc?

Or Wolf Eyes charging €15 for a cheap ass cdr with a lick of spray paint on it?

I'm a Wolf Eyes fan btw and bought a good few cdrs each time I've seen them play

yes, i know both of these have been essentially previously available but thats not the point.

Er.. Actually that is the point.. I've said I have no problem with special/art editions it's just that the trend to treat the entire vinyl format as a special edition is completely wrong. What's wrong with having a "non-to-go-out-of-print" edition (I don't know what to call the opposite of a limited edition) vinyl alongside the CD? That's what I want.

As you mention I'm into noise/drone/etc so pricy editions of things are nothing new and I admit to spending over $100 for an item off a label but that was 17CDr's, a vinyl and 3 tapes I think (the AM500 boxset) so it was physcially worth the $100, I've also bought that bloddy Sunn O/Boris 3xLP for something like €45 in Tower.

I'm not against pricey reissues or limited editions, I just don't like the treating of vinyl as a whole as a limited edition fetish item.

Er.. Actually that is the point.. I've said I have no problem with special/art editions it's just that the trend to treat the entire vinyl format as a special edition is completely wrong. What's wrong with having a "non-to-go-out-of-print" edition (I don't know what to call the opposite of a limited edition) vinyl alongside the CD? That's what I want.

As you mention I'm into noise/drone/etc so pricy editions of things are nothing new and I admit to spending over $100 for an item off a label but that was 17CDr's, a vinyl and 3 tapes I think (the AM500 boxset) so it was physcially worth the $100, I've also bought that bloddy Sunn O/Boris 3xLP for something like €45 in Tower.

I'm not against pricey reissues or limited editions, I just don't like the treating of vinyl as a whole as a limited edition fetish item.
im not sure you get the point.

anyways, im out to have some fun. oh wait. its lashing.

For those interested I believe that a rip is out already.

Yeh... thats what I was getting at about a page ago! Glad I didn't consider forking out a for vinyl copy. Does anyone want to buy my double vinyl edition of In Rainbows by the way?

600AnimalCollective.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back