The Ice Bucket thread (1 Viewer)

uh oh
it's seriously creeping into my newsfeed now, about 6 people doing it today where i'd only seen one friend of a friend do it up til now

And medical instrument and device manufacturers? They're exactly like the pharmaceutical industry in that they make things to treat/help people and make huge profits but never get blamed for anything. You never hear arguments like "Oh those MRI manufacturers, charging millions per machine and thousands for maintenance but never putting money into cancer. It's all just a swizz to keep doctors usingb scanners!" or whatever.

Sorry Should have been more clear - Yeah them too.

Anyone who works within the spectrum of healthcare and yet manages to avoid the higher moral expectations we place on doctors, hospitals, etc. A friend of mine works for a university in Baltimore. She is part of a team trying to "cure" (I'm not sure if she'd say that) diarrhoea. It doesn't sound like much of course, but that's the second biggest cause of deaths in children in the world so fair play. Again this is research carried out by an American university which is of course a profitable, capitalist organisation. The only difference between it and a Drug company or any other company which makes it's money off of disease etc is that we hold universities up to the same higher moral standards.

Essentially what I'm saying is that there's a double standard regarding certain aspects of healthcare and if the higher standard were applied across the board, nothing would really change for us here in the first world but for the billions that make up the non-profitable masses their lives and more accurately their deaths would be far less painful for them and their families. Not to just place blame on drug companies but there was a time when they were fighting a losing battle against HIV and AIDS but they were still making a fortune. Would it have bankrupted them to run a hospice program in the third world ? I fucking doubt it. But if no one expects it of them they sure as fuck aren't going to go out and do something so humanitarian.

Based on tax returns but do all the people involved get all their money from this association? For all we know they are also on hospital boards or whatever, hence have a massive salary.

Anyway, all information on that page is invalidated by them including:
Yes! However, you are not likely to read anything about this from a non-profit charitable organization supporting the pharmaceutical industry. We have previously reported the story of Clarence and his experience in using coconut oil: Coconut Oil Reverses Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

Coconut oil can be used in a strict ketogenic diet that has been shown to be successful in treating Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s, diabetes, and cancer. among others. The principles of the ketogenic diet are completely different from the philosophy that the pharmaceutical companies start from in their research, where the assumption is that ALS is a “genetic disease.” Most of the current research on fighting disease with a ketogenic diet starts out with the assumption that modern diseases are primarily metabolic, and not genetic, caused by such things as poor diet, toxins in our food and environment, etc.

I don't even know where to begin.

Based on tax returns but do all the people involved get all their money from this association? For all we know they are also on hospital boards or whatever, hence have a massive salary.
the salaries quoted are paid by the association - the figures are in the linked tax report

Anyway, all information on that page is invalidated by them including:
not really, the information that came directly from the organisation's own tax report is presumably admissible? you can check the figures in the link.

the salaries quoted are paid by the association - the figures are in the linked tax report

Missed that bit.

not really, the information that came directly from the organisation's own tax report is presumably admissible? you can check the figures in the link.

No, of course not but it's one thing to sanely post about salaries and distribution of charity funds in an article and to use that as a preamble to push your mad agenda.

Of course it doesn't but my point is that by including batshit crazy conspiracy stuff in with real news means, much like pretty much all those homeopathy/"natural" medicine sites, I will take pretty much everything you say and the way you say it with a massive grain of salt. Fox News reports facts but I will not take their spin on things because they have an agenda. Same thing with these types of sites.

but in this case their 'spin' is a straightforward breakdown of spending figures which can be directly checked against the document provided

Their "spin" is to take what might be very standard facts and figures and present them as noteworthy, the implication being there is something wrong here.

On the plus side they have an entire news section on their website dedicated to "Coconut Health":

Coconut Health | Health Impact News

Their "spin" is to take what might be very standard facts and figures and present them as noteworthy, the implication being there is something wrong here.

Exactly. Yeah those salaries look high but I don't know if that's standard, high or low for a multimillion US charity. They don't offer any comparison or critique beyond a "oh well they're a traditional medical charity, they must be up to no good" tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back