The Ice Bucket thread (2 Viewers)

So I got tagged in the chain letter.

it has been good to see people raising awareness and funds for Motor Neurone Disease. It has been humbling to read some stories of the effect the disease is having on peoples lives.

It has been funny to see some of the videos up on social media as people poured ice water over themselves.

I am conflicted though. Water is a basic human right and we will be getting billed in Ireland for it over the next few months. Depending on the stats you read it can be as much as 2 billion people who have no access to clean drinking water. On average an African women has to walk 6km for water. And then over 1 million people are pouring it over their heads.

It is good craic though. While all this was going on ISIS was still running rampant, children were being in killed in Gaza (and subsequently Israel) and conflict still rages around the world. People are sleeping on the cold streets of Dublin, Greyhound workers are still locked out of their workplace.

I don't want to be a killjoy so I'm trying to come up with something. The water will be recycled

So how about this. After you film yourself pouring ice water over your head get involved in your community. Donate if you can but the best donation is time so try and free some of that for something worthwhile. You choose what it is but preferably not something that involved experimenting on animals.

http://www.water4all.org/us/projects/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_scarcity
http://www.wateraid.org/

That's my take on it. People do seem to be having a laugh so that's probably no bad thing eh?

I've complained about it, I give not a fuck.
It's annoying, fuck off and donate anonymously if you aren't in it for the sheep element. Ugh. It's all my Facebook feed is. Guess I'll just delete or hate them all more. Win win I suppose

God, don't you just hate fun?

What do you have for raingear?

I have this Jack Wolfskin gear. It's brilliant.
I only wear a light Craft rain cape in the summer. My cycle is ~35 mins and I shower and change clothes each side. In the winter I'd wear a thermal jacket under the rain cape but mostly just still wear shorts on the bottom half.

I'm of the opinion now that its not possible to stay dry (proper waterproof gear would still have you sweating buckets) so staying warm becomes the priority.

Harmless, eh? It caused this young man to jump off a cliff, to his death, never to risk putting himself at risk of ALS. Awareness is a double-edged sword.
Brilliant headline there. To say that this guy died because of the ice bucket challenge is like saying that kids in Gaza are dying because of an allergy to artillery shells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigeminal_neuralgiaI go from being annoyed to thinking its a good thing every half hour.

They are making money for research and that might help some people. That is good.

On the other side of the coin, people only really donate this kind of gesture to causes that have 'made it' in the media world. It might be a while back but there is a celebrity involved. people had heard of it to some extent beforehand and its easy to do and 'the right thing'. There is a tipping point somewhere in there for diseases and charities where they stop being scary and step out of the wilderness into being something people are obliged to get behind due to peer pressure. There are probably a load of active groups dealing with other issues that have had months of planning completely washed aside by this, or by no make up selfie.

I do small amounts of awareness work for the completely obscure and very indie disorder I have. This one and no makeup selfie have sorta annoyed the angry cripple in me because putting on makeup and splashing water on your head are things that my folk have real trouble doing every day (or just dont). I've refused two nominations simply because of the timing in regard to how many days i'd be having minor convulsions after doing it and how much work I have to do in real life.

The most striking thing about the icebucket is the similarity with baptism style rituals. There is a whole psychology to the water sensory/mentality that has more impact probably that the initial two euro or whatever. Like you would be worried about your kids all doing it if some cult leader type was doing the watering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigeminal_neuralgiaI go from being annoyed to thinking its a good thing every half hour.

They are making money for research and that might help some people. That is good.

On the other side of the coin, people only really donate this kind of gesture to causes that have 'made it' in the media world. It might be a while back but there is a celebrity involved. people had heard of it to some extent beforehand and its easy to do and 'the right thing'. There is a tipping point somewhere in there for diseases and charities where they stop being scary and step out of the wilderness into being something people are obliged to get behind due to peer pressure. There are probably a load of active groups dealing with other issues that have had months of planning completely washed aside by this, or by no make up selfie.

I do small amounts of awareness work for the completely obscure and very indie disorder I have. This one and no makeup selfie have sorta annoyed the angry cripple in me because putting on makeup and splashing water on your head are things that my folk have real trouble doing every day (or just dont). I've refused two nominations simply because of the timing in regard to how many days i'd be having minor convulsions after doing it and how much work I have to do in real life.

The most striking thing about the icebucket is the similarity with baptism style rituals. There is a whole psychology to the water sensory/mentality that has more impact probably that the initial two euro or whatever. Like you would be worried about your kids all doing it if some cult leader type was doing the watering.

Fuck me, it must be bad if it's called the 'suicide disease'

My sympathies.

Thankfully anyone I know thats done it knows me better than to nominate me.

I have enjoyed watching all the fails especially that Irish wan that ran into the bar sticking out of the clothes line.

We try not to call it that in fairness, though there are regular suicides (some assisteds too).

I prefer the really stuff fothergill's disease

Right.
I meant more that it was ever called that at all is an indication of how brutal it must be.

Fothergill's disease sounds like what they'd call a yeast infection in a Jane Austen book.

i don't understand why charities need to crowdfund disease research when there's a multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical industry

i'll bung two quid in if anyone's raising money for a class-action lawsuit to force drug developers to function ethically

You could argue that charity funded research is better because it's not driven by shareholders. Also, the charities work with patient care and education and not just research. Should pharmaceutical companies have to pay for everything for a given disease because they make money off treatments for that disease? There's definitely room for huge improvements in how the pharmaceutical industry works but there's a lot more to funding care for these illnesses than just how much drugs cost to develop and manufacture versus how much profit the companies make. Plus there is only one drug available to slow the progression of ALS, so should the company responsible for developing this drug pay for all patient care?

So I got tagged in the chain letter.

it has been good to see people raising awareness and funds for Motor Neurone Disease. It has been humbling to read some stories of the effect the disease is having on peoples lives.

It has been funny to see some of the videos up on social media as people poured ice water over themselves.

I am conflicted though. Water is a basic human right and we will be getting billed in Ireland for it over the next few months. Depending on the stats you read it can be as much as 2 billion people who have no access to clean drinking water. On average an African women has to walk 6km for water. And then over 1 million people are pouring it over their heads.

It is good craic though. While all this was going on ISIS was still running rampant, children were being in killed in Gaza (and subsequently Israel) and conflict still rages around the world. People are sleeping on the cold streets of Dublin, Greyhound workers are still locked out of their workplace.

I don't want to be a killjoy so I'm trying to come up with something. The water will be recycled

So how about this. After you film yourself pouring ice water over your head get involved in your community. Donate if you can but the best donation is time so try and free some of that for something worthwhile. You choose what it is but preferably not something that involved experimenting on animals.

Our projects - Water for All Water 4 All
Water scarcity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
WaterAid - Home

That's my take on it. People do seem to be having a laugh so that's probably no bad thing eh?

SOLUTION:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back