• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 64K
  • Watchers 9
Once more, with feeling.
I dunno, man
Just wanted to share a sliver of good health news I got as I barrel toward 60
Was kinda hoping some of the lads here that are/were serious bikers might have perspective on it.
And the reaction is "Well that's a stupid fucking thing to care about" and then doubling down.

In general, I see a lot of miserable people on here that can't get out of their own way.
Complaining about their life on the regular like it's something that's happening to them, not something that they have almost complete control over.
And not seeming to realise that our lives are a story we tell ourselves, and if we are constantly negging ourselves, we're making that negative story our actual reality.

And this is just a perspective, but when any measure of positivity is introduced the reaction is often pushback.
Happiness provokes some kind of antibodies in us (Irish people). Like "What's that cunt so happy about?". We're so locked in on whining, that there's a distrust of positivity and gratefulness - something like the way people don't trust people who don't drink, but a little more visceral, deeper.
We're only really happy when we're complaining about something. Or seeing someone happy made unhappy.
And we can't see it cos everyone's doing the same thing.
Like alcoholics lined up on stools at the bar, or overweight spouses telling each other exercise sucks, let's eat pizza. When misery is all around you, you can't even see it.
Like the DFW thing "What the hell is water?".

But when you're outside of it, it's clear as a bell.
Anyway, just a perspective.

Oh yeah. Go fuck yourself. Almost forgot. Heh.

ETA Not just Irish people. It's us and the Brits.
The actual Europeans seem to get along much better. But that's just my experience.

as mentioned, i've been off the bike for months now, but when i was fit i didn't pay heed to VO2 max or other measures like that - it was more beating PBs on strava etc. which i got a buzz from. how fast i could get up to the summit at howth, for example. or being able to maintain a certain average speed over a reasonable distance (i think my best was an average of 32.5km/h over a 50km spin, which is not bad for a solo cyclist)

In general, I see a lot of miserable people on here that can't get out of their own way.
Complaining about their life on the regular like it's something that's happening to them, not something that they have almost complete control over.
And not seeming to realise that our lives are a story we tell ourselves, and if we are constantly negging ourselves, we're making that negative story our actual reality.
I don't know about anyone else but this is a bit of entertainment. Am I really complaining? No. It's like co-worker chat when you have no co-workers or co-workers you don't want to chat to. If I had serious issues with my life, I wouldn't be posting it here. I'd wager most of us are pretty happy. Just my take.

Hindsight is 20/20.... I told you that for years.

Last edited:
I am doing a 24 hour charity fast from midnight tonight.
I ate nothing today from 11:30 to 7:30 pm.

I only ate 300g oatmeal and a can of kidney beans plus water today until 7:30.
But since then:
3 cans of Kidney beans and about 750g oatmeal and a litre of soya milk
By 10:45 pm I was so stuffed I didn't want to eat anymore.
Fun while it lasted.

Now water is my only friend for next 24 hours.
Thankfully I luv water!

Just putting food away out of sight now...

I dunno, man
Was kinda hoping some of the lads here that are/were serious bikers might have perspective on it.
And the reaction is "Well that's a stupid fucking thing to care about" and then doubling down.

And this is just a perspective, but when any measure of positivity is introduced the reaction is often pushback.
Happiness provokes some kind of antibodies in us (Irish people). Like "What's that cunt so happy about?". We're so locked in on whining, that there's a distrust of positivity and gratefulness - something like the way people don't trust people who don't drink, but a little more visceral, deeper.
We're only really happy when we're complaining about something. Or seeing someone happy made unhappy.
Like alcoholics lined up on stools at the bar, or overweight spouses telling each other exercise sucks, let's eat pizza. When misery is all around you, you can't even see it.

The actual Europeans seem to get along much better. But that's just my experience.
It wasn’t that I was saying don’t be happy but relying on a number like VO2 max (which still misses a huge amount of your health) instead of just happy with feeling healthy just seems to be looking for a proxy of happiness. What do you do if you never improve your VO2 max but continue to be healthy? Will that feel like failure or will you push yourself further than you should to get that feeling again? It’s destination stuff, not journey.

And I’m actually finding most of your posts genuinely great and I’m trying to get out of my own head and do more lately because you are clearly thriving. But I’m not going to be stepping on a weighing scales, let alone having my VO2 max done.

I am doing a 24 hour charity fast from midnight tonight.
I ate nothing today from 11:30 to 7:30 pm.

I only ate 300g oatmeal and a can of kidney beans plus water today until 7:30.
But since then:
3 cans of Kidney beans and about 750g oatmeal and a litre of soya milk
By 10:45 pm I was so stuffed I didn't want to eat anymore.
Fun while it lasted.

Now water is my only friend for next 24 hours.
Thankfully I luv water!

Just putting food away out of sight now...
Your diet really worries me.
I actually think about it often.

As I get older, I find myself increasingly allergic to things. I always had a dust allergy but don't remember having hay fever as a youth and now toothpaste sometimes sets me off in a retching coughing spree. Also long standing, my face doesn't like soap.

I've now turned in to somone with a dodgy tummy, after years of basically being bullet proof.
I was in A&E Friday and Monday with some more tests to go but they've ruled out the really bad stuff so it's grand. I had a look back and I've had 12+ antibiotics in the last 12 months ,so I think that's a big part of it.

I dunno, man

What's going on here? did I miss something?
TBH I zoned out a bit.

Basically Deadmanposting is high on jogging drugs and has slipped into thinking everyone else is doing it wrong and while he might be aware of it, he's still a few weeks off understanding it.

I've now turned in to somone with a dodgy tummy, after years of basically being bullet proof.
I was in A&E Friday and Monday with some more tests to go but they've ruled out the really bad stuff so it's grand. I had a look back and I've had 12+ antibiotics in the last 12 months ,so I think that's a big part of it.

Will you miss butter?

As a heriditary terrible at digesting food canary in the coal mine type, butter is at the root of a lot of bad reactions to food

I'm pretty sure there was something small wrong and then the antibiotics made it worse. The Doctor didnt check for an infection with the last 4 rounds of them so hard to tell .
I'm just going to get a load of probiotic food in to me and a little exercise, and just try to build myself up from there.
It's just that I've let myself get too run down. I take after my Dad, so I'm normally hardy enough.
He was in the hospital 3 weeks ago because he accidenly ate a load of fire ants and was back to normal the next day. He did get heatstroke and covid the following week, but thats different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back