Your Health Is Your Wealth (5 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 65K
  • Watchers 9
1705594975005.png

I just do this every day with my batch cooking craic.
I do whatever i like at the weekends though in terms of cans, takeaways and all that.
I have a 7kg range of weights I'm aware of.

I was wondering how you knew which weight was "extra" - but maybe you just mean compared to the summertime?
Yeah, I was a fairly steady 192-196 for a lot of last year
And now I'm just over 200 most days
When you exercise more, you feel better and you are more likely to take care of your body with better food choices - or that's been my experience.

Hard to get a baseline as I've never had a steady weight
Dropped about 50lbs since 2015
First major drop is quitting pubs and booze
Second is starting running/swimming
Late peak in the pandemic

Last edited:
Last night some middle aged female friends explained endometriosis to me. It's like horror movie stuff. I was shocked.

"This wouldn't have happened if you'd had children" the doctor said to her.

Everything is. Nobody is safe. Everybody dies 🤷‍♂️

In other news, an older friend asked a few of us to just "keep an eye on her". She's had a couple of heart attacks and is stubborn, trusts herself more than doctors, but also likes wine. Some red wine is good for the heart, but...
One friend said change doctor, I'll take you to my GP, she's great. This guy has had a couple of strokes but has recovered amazingly well. Fucker is fitter than me. Not all doctors are equal, I guess is my point.
And also, yes, everything is indeed a gamble. All these folks had a lot of fun in their younger years, and continue to do so, though with mixed results.

Last night some middle aged female friends explained endometriosis to me. It's like horror movie stuff. I was shocked.

"This wouldn't have happened if you'd had children" the doctor said to her.
Yeah
Dated a lady who had it, all too familiar with it
It's a horrorshow

but also likes wine. Some red wine is good for the heart, but...

I don't think any amount of alcohol is good for any of us.
It is a poison.
Like lower amounts are less bad, but no amount is good.

Last edited:
I don't think any amount of alcohol is good for any of us.
It is a poison.
Like lower amounts are less bad, but no amount is good.
You hear a lot of different positions on this on the internet, but here's a paper with a study of nearly a million Americans over 12 years that suggests otherwise

Alcohol consumption and all-cause and cause-specific mortality among US adults: prospective cohort study - BMC Medicine

This doesn't mean that you personally should go back on the jar, mind - obvs giving it up has been v good for you

You hear a lot of different positions on this on the internet, but here's a paper with a study of nearly a million Americans over 12 years that suggests otherwise

Alcohol consumption and all-cause and cause-specific mortality among US adults: prospective cohort study - BMC Medicine

This doesn't mean that you personally should go back on the jar, mind - obvs giving it up has been v good for you
Everything I've read about this seems to infer that the benefits are being accumulated elsewhere
i.e. the people who drink a half glass of wine with dinner, are leading overall healthy, balanced lives.
The type of person who eats one biscuit and it's enough. They are in a sweet spot of healthy living.

But I'm not a doctor
And no one is concerned about anyone who drinks less than one drink per day - good luck to each and every one of them.

There's studies on studies on studies and they can chase each other's tails at times

The real effect of these studies is for people to eye up the bottle for a second or third glass of CabSav and say "ah sure it's good for me"

1707921994112.png

Last edited:
Everything I've read about this seems to infer that the benefits are being accumulated elsewhere
i.e. the people who drink a half glass of wine with dinner, are leading overall healthy, balanced lives.
The type of person who eats one biscuit and it's enough. They are in a sweet spot of healthy living.
I'm actually amazed at the main all-cause-mortality versus alcohol graph in that paper - not the dip at around 1 drink per day, but the fact that the risk ratio for 7 drinks per day is only 1.1

I like to drink 4-5 beers because about 95% of the time my brain has to do things for other people, those 4-5 beers is where it gets to whatever it likes.
Hard relate, as the Yanks say - though over the last few years I've been taking v deliberate steps to reduce that percentage (and also I find too many beers makes that worse rather than better)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back