Your Health Is Your Wealth (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 65K
  • Watchers 9
I know little enough about this shit, but 7 hours sleep seems WAY too little for intensely training like this. Smells more like legend-building than an accurate description to me
dunno about boxing, but I knew some lads who'd have a two hour nap in the middle of the day.
Their routine was something like: on the bike -> warm down / wash / stretch -> nap -> lighter cardio / recovery -> bed for the night.

But the nap would be a solid two hour + break in the middle of the day, and they felt that it allowed you to recover better. Then they didn't need to worry about getting the full 8 hours at night or whatever.

dunno about boxing, but I knew some lads who'd have a two hour nap in the middle of the day.
Their routine was something like: on the bike -> warm down / wash / stretch -> nap -> lighter cardio / recovery -> bed for the night.

But the nap would be a solid two hour + break in the middle of the day, and they felt that it allowed you to recover better. Then they didn't need to worry about getting the full 8 hours at night or whatever.
I nap pretty much every day around noon
A solid 20 minutes and I'm recharged

I don't know what your local hospital is like, but I rocked into my one at 09:30 at the orthopedic department, and I was home by 10:30.

An end to the saga of the broken wrist, which happened in May. So, yes, bad that there was a five month gap between my last check up and this one. But now it's over.

The doc said basically "I can't do anything with you at this point".

But there was plusses and minuses. The injury was "horrific". The recovery seems "remarkable". The fact I walked around for three weeks with a broken wrist left him pretty much speechless. Though it is malunioned, as he says. The fact that it doesn't cause me any more discomfort than my other unbroken wrist is "very interesting". I can still work, I can still play guitar. That was important to the doc.
If he were to re-break it, he would worry about it healing, because of my drinking and smoking habits. So that's quite interesting. He's not wrong. I've noticed everything takes longer to heal than it used to.

In and out of his office in 15 minutes. As I left I said "SEE YOU SOON!". Because I'm an idiot.

Have completely changed my approach to my yoga workouts for the new year. I was moving towards it from November but really am in it now.

I've cut back to 4 days a week, and currently am only done 30-35 minutes sessions as opposed to the odd 55 minute one over the course of 6 days.

But I'm wringing every second out of them. Focussing on keeping my muscles engaged the whole time, targeting the weak areas to build them up, trying to concentrate on form, not stretching as far a possible but stretching with good form using as many muscles as possible. 30 minutes of really good work seems to be working comparably to 55 minutes of sometimes sloppy work.

Basically I've got problems with my hamstrings and lower back that will never go away by only working on my lower back and hamstrings, so I'm trying to get my calves, ankles and upper back stronger and more flexible, build everything up a little bit so I'm strong and more flexible overall.

It seems to be working, I feel great.

I've started keeping track of my protein intake after reading a few articles about it

This https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5952928/ recommends a minimum intake of 1.2g per kg of bodyweight per day for "older people", which I think means people a fair bit older than me, but even so I'm aiming for that as a minimum (I weigh 65kg so that's 78g/day for me)

... and it turns out I wasn't hitting it at all. I eat meat probably on average less than once a week, and had always thought that beans and bean-based stuff like falafel and hummus had loads of protein, and that'd make up for it. Not so - there's actually really wide variations in the protein content of canned beans, and the max is around 7g/100g. Even with lentils - it looks like the lentil bolognese I make has around half (or less) the protein content of the meat equivalent

Then also I read this International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: protein and exercise - Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition which says

In summary, it is the position of the International Society of Sport Nutrition that exercising individuals ingest protein ranging from 1.4 to 2.0 g/kg/day

I exercise most days for half an hour or so, so that seems to mean I need even more, and perhaps the reason I keep getting sore and injured is I'm not getting enough? Anyway just tracking it (I just have a google sheet for it) is easy to do and illuminating. Doing something about it (which I'm attempting to do by upping my consumption of pickled herring and those whey protein shakes) is a little trickier

Get stuck into the eggs @egg_

I try to hit 1g per kg, but I'm not too scientific on it. I take whey powder fairly regularly. Will dump some into morning oats with milk and yogurt. Usually have a milkshake per day. So that's about 40g at least.

I'm a bit nervous about the eggs cos my cholesterol is high ... I know the thinking these days is that eggs aren't so bad for that, but when I did an experiment once where I went from eating loads of them to eating none it dropped a lot

edit: I do eat some eggs in fairness - 5 in the last week, according to my spreadsheet

Have eaten cheese 4 times in the last 7 days, it's high in saturated fat so for cholesterol reasons I probably shouldn't have it more often than that

Have had tinned tuna once this week - actually I had thought you couldn't eat it any more than that because of its mercury content, but now I see it depends on the species of tuna. Will have to check on the cans

I absolutely love fresh sardines, but the tinned ones are kinda mank - I still eat them the odd time, because I get it into my head that they'll be like the real thing, but they never are.

... and the other thing is nuts and seeds, I guess, which are how I manage to have 25g of protein for breakfast (via the medium of homemade muesli (with kefir))

I do love pickled herring, though I'm afraid I'm eating so much of it now that I'll put myself off it

Overdue doctor appointment next week

I know they'll put me on statins for cholesterol and tell me to fucking get fit you fat slob

I have prepared a list of other items for the agenda too

giphy.gif

Has anyone else got this never-ending cold/flu?
No, but my nose is runny kind of all the time

I go through a good few tissues at work, and I am a snot-rocket fiend when out and about.

I think I am mildly allergic to something, but the symptoms are so mild, I am not really prepared to find out what it is.

Has anyone else got this never-ending cold/flu?

My housemate is. He hasn't been out of the house in ages. It goes up and down, but it never ends. And he won't do anything about it because he's a stubborn fecker. He thinks he can just wait it out, but he's been doing that for weeks.

Getting close to intervention time.

My girlfriend has had it since Christmas and a load of people at work have had it or still have it. Worryingly a colleague in India is saying the same thing. Is it a subtle form of a pandemic, if there is such a thing?

What do the anti-vax people have to say about this?

I am not measuring anything, but I probably should
Just trying to eat whole foods
Weekdays
Breakfast - oats/milk/syrup/peanut butter
Lunch - soup - with meat and veg
Dinner - rice meat veg

Weekends I indulge. Breakfast at a restaurant, both days. Pastries when I feel like it. Big dinners.

I just have a hoor of a sweet tooth too - or maybe that's just another word for low willpower
And it is hard to get the idea of friend chicken or pizza out of my head, once it gets in there. Again, probably more of a will power thing.

Carrying about 8 extra lbs with winter. Simply because being outside is harder, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back