Your Health Is Your Wealth (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 64K
  • Watchers 9
My sister-in-law was talking about following a mutual friend's runs on Strava, and being astounded by how low the guy's heart rate is for how fast he's going. Seems like Zone 2 training really works if you keep at it. Hard to lose the "no pain no gain" attitude though
don't get too carried away with the HR thing. Always measure against yourself. Physiologically we're all different and some people just have a naturally lower HR. Having the monitor is always a valuable tool. For one, the zones, as you pointed out. But also for knowing when you go into the red. When I was cycling I knew what my max HR was (~180bpm), and I measured my effort based on that. If I was under, I had the capacity to push myself harder. If I was too high, I had to ease up.

And the fitter you get the lower the HR will get, but not by much. When I used to do intense training camps, efforts that would push me to 180bpm on days 1 and 2, would only have me at around 165bpm on day 3 onwards. But, once I let up from the intense effort, it would go back up again fairly quickly.

I'm running in a 5k this weekend
Might go all guns blazing and wear a HR strap, just to see where I'm at

My Cooper Test run had me maxed at 164

Oh look this crowd do it anyway VO2 Run Testing | Health Matters
thats what came to mind when you mentioned it. The lad in the first video is based out of my old gym. He hooks people up to this breathing tube thats connected to his laptop and he puts you through efforts of different intensities, gathering data on how you are performing physiologically, as you go.

From time to time I'm aware that college students often do the same thing for free, as part of whatever courses they are doing - sports performance related stuff, obviously. A mate of mine got a free set of testing done that way in Trinity.

Last edited:
My sister-in-law was talking about following a mutual friend's runs on Strava, and being astounded by how low the guy's heart rate is for how fast he's going. Seems like Zone 2 training really works if you keep at it. Hard to lose the "no pain no gain" attitude though

I don't have a HR thing but when i started training a few months back after neglecting cycling i was a bit of a mess after 7km. Now i'm a mess after 65km - but 7 would barely register with me - I'm kinda cramming now on building distance because i've got 5 weeks to be solid on 80km for a trip. As much as anything I'm trying to figure out when i actually do it. Morning cycles are to work so all i can really do is keep a speed up to make the train in time. Evening ones i want to get home but i suspect they'll be zonal things soon enough. Anywhoo the reason i'm responding is on strava i used to get a bit fomo seeing my mate do 25km a few times a week an reasonable pace when i'd no time to be out. Now that's transformed into getting fomo because someone else i know who's 25 years older than me is churning out 120km rides on saturday mornings. I don't think the strava fomo ever leaves.

I'm not sure about ultra stuff though - i've a mate who trains people for it and you see like 300km cycles and i'm bit like thats beyond fun to me.

I don't have a HR thing but when i started training a few months back after neglecting cycling i was a bit of a mess after 7km. Now i'm a mess after 65km - but 7 would barely register with me - I'm kinda cramming now on building distance because i've got 5 weeks to be solid on 80km for a trip. As much as anything I'm trying to figure out when i actually do it. Morning cycles are to work so all i can really do is keep a speed up to make the train in time. Evening ones i want to get home but i suspect they'll be zonal things soon enough. Anywhoo the reason i'm responding is on strava i used to get a bit fomo seeing my mate do 25km a few times a week an reasonable pace when i'd no time to be out. Now that's transformed into getting fomo because someone else i know who's 25 years older than me is churning out 120km rides on saturday mornings. I don't think the strava fomo ever leaves.

I'm not sure about ultra stuff though - i've a mate who trains people for it and you see like 300km cycles and i'm bit like thats beyond fun to me.
the thing about strava fomo is that you have to realise that you're getting fomo from different people. Like, the lad you got fomo over last week couldn't go out cycling this week cos reasons, so didn't appear on your feed. But, some other lad did, so you fomo over him.

I think strava is great and all, but I stopped wanting to know what others were doing because it started to wreck my head. I did used to upload my rides, but I stuck more with Garmin Connect cos I had no mates there. It just showed me the data from what I did and there was no fear of trying to compare myself with Nicholas Roche or Thibau Pinot

back in the day I reckon I could have churned out a 300km. That was after finishing 200km still feeling fairly fresh. But the 200km took around 7 hours, so I'd be fucked if I ever wanted to do more than 10 hours on the bike. Its a sure-fire way of putting yourself off cycling forever.

I was out cycling one morning and met an audax rider. He was doing a 400km and had been out all night. Fucking clown. I had to cycle home with him to keep him from falling asleep. He was training for Paris-Brest.

It's all each-to-his-own for me

If lads wanna bike 300km or run a 200-mile ultra marathon, then they can go for it
Just cos I'll probably never do it, doesn't mean I can't learn something from people that do.

I mostly follow people on Strava that are friends or runners who are a little better than me - cos I want to see what they're doing and what's doable and achievable.
And people are frank about their struggles, so it's good to know you're not the only one experiencing it.
Also tbh, there's a little bit of accountability on there. Like if I know I'm gonna be posting a run, then I don't want to put something up where I dog the last few miles and give up on myself.

Right now, all I care about is time-qualifying for as many major marathons as I can.
After that, I'd love to do some proper trail races and a full IronMan.
I want to see if that guy is inside of me. Or more accurately, if I can create him out of what I have.

Have outgrown the usefulness of my home workout app. Made it to the *advanced* section, but it's got pretty stupid exercises now. Like bicep curls using your leg. I've always skipped that stuff and just used a dumbbell.

It will be a shame to move on. It gave me a nice little tick every day and added heart points to my google fit account.

7 days left of 30 day kettlebell challenge. Looking forward to giving the swings a break for a while. Have attempted a few pullups in the park to gear up for that next.

That decathlon heart rate monitor I got is a piece of shit. Yesterday it told me my heart rate was 47bpm, and when I actually counted it it was 120

Sending the stupid thing back. Seemed to work ok for about a week
Get the Garmin one.
Works a treat.

Well. Back to the office this morning and therefore having access to a pull-up bar. Had started last week with a few 30 second hangs, and then tried a few pull ups. I knew in my heart though i was faking the form. So today tried a couple going from a complete free hang up and back down again. That stuff is different gravy. 2 sets of 2 done.

Pilates with the girls at lunch.

Signed up to physio classes being run my MS Ireland. Not sure what to expect.
All I know is I sat in pain for most of the gig last night after speed walking from Merrion Sq to the NCH. ie: not that far.

Well. Back to the office this morning and therefore having access to a pull-up bar. Had started last week with a few 30 second hangs, and then tried a few pull ups. I knew in my heart though i was faking the form. So today tried a couple going from a complete free hang up and back down again. That stuff is different gravy. 2 sets of 2 done.

Pilates with the girls at lunch.

I know a lad who does insane pullups on facebook. One arm, in slow motion with the neck above the bar. The whole thing takes like ten seconds. Basically has bruce lee upper body going on. It's insane - I've known him years but only added him on there a few months back

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back