Your call with Brenda Power. (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter mark
  • Start date
  • Replies 78
  • Views 10K
  • Watchers 4
Me, too. Everything about him suggests I shouldn't, but I can't help it. I think he's great. I think he's great, even though someday I will probably eat those words.

This morning Newstalk did a piece about odd socks. Really hard-hitting stuff.

Odd socks.

And yes, all cats are sluts. Look at that clown-anused pussy! Do you need any more proof that ALL CATS ARE SLUTS?

johnny raz's guide to newtalk;

brefast show; alright, good producers/researchers shit presenters
brenda power; fuck off and die you joe duffy wannabe
orla barry; i would like to beat to death
eammon keane; decent enough show
sean moncrief; excellent stuff
george hook; his blustering self importance can get too much sometimes, but the show is well produced, and hes like your drunken uncle at a wedding.
off the ball; one or two of the presenters could do with a hiding, but otherwise a great show.
declan carty; (see brenda power)

and of course on sat you have rosin ingle. I can never forgive newstalk for robbing tow hours of one of the best current affairs shows in radio(the wide angle) to give her and her minions free reign over the airwaves. on the plus side it makes me gte out of bed earlier in the morning.

Off the ball is way too long - 3 hours every evening?? Fuck off.

Orla Barry is the worst presenter on Newstalk by miles. She's a complete geebag and she gets other geebags on to talk to her.

Yes, Orla Barry is dreadful.

Off The Ball benefits from being 3 hours long because you can head off, come back to it, catch bits and pieces here and there. It's not the type of thing you listen to straight through. I like if I have to drive somewhere at about half 7 so I can catch a bit of Off The Ball. It's a small pleasure.
They cover semi-obscure things and forrdin sporting issues that we don't hear elsewhere, and they're funny. They seem like they'd be bollixes, but they're funny bollixes.
I don't like Ken Earley. He just seems like your typical barstooling, Fantasy Football playing, Premiership-obsessed nerd.

and of course on sat you have rosin ingle. I can never forgive newstalk for robbing tow hours of one of the best current affairs shows in radio(the wide angle) to give her and her minions free reign over the airwaves. on the plus side it makes me gte out of bed earlier in the morning.

And it replaced the deadly arts show that they used to have on Saturdays before they went National.

Shit.

Haven't listened to Newstalk on a Saturday for a while.
Really liked Sophie Gormon (& I'm pretty sure she fancied it me from the tone of her voice).

Bring back David McWilliams, all is forgiven!

I feel like getting behind Brenda's crusade this morning. Seemingly the widow of one of the firemen who died in Bray a while back has been told by Wicklow County Council that she needs to get a solicitor to receive the money due to her and also that it will be docked 40 euro because her husband didn't finish his shift the day he died.
Now, if I'm not mistaken, Brenda is fighting the good fight here. But I don't trust her. Is there more to this than meets the eye? Is the widow shamelessly exploiting the county council? What should I think?

Shit.

Haven't listened to Newstalk on a Saturday for a while.
Really liked Sophie Gormon (& I'm pretty sure she fancied it me from the tone of her voice).

Yeah the Saturday morning arts show used to be quite good.. I wonder how come she didn't get a full-time slot?

Off The Ball benefits from being 3 hours long because you can head off, come back to it, catch bits and pieces here and there.

yeah, really like off the ball. listen to it a lot when i'm cooking.

I don't like Ken Earley. He just seems like your typical barstooling, Fantasy Football playing, Premiership-obsessed nerd.

thats exactly what he is! took me a while to warm to him but i like hom now. knows his stuff.

murphs country pages is not nearly as funny as they think it is. they could do with dumping that.

rarely listen to orla barry but when i do i don't find her too bad. power is the devil though.

I feel like getting behind Brenda's crusade this morning. Seemingly the widow of one of the firemen who died in Bray a while back has been told by Wicklow County Council that she needs to get a solicitor to receive the money due to her and also that it will be docked 40 euro because her husband didn't finish his shift the day he died.
Now, if I'm not mistaken, Brenda is fighting the good fight here. But I don't trust her. Is there more to this than meets the eye? Is the widow shamelessly exploiting the county council? What should I think?

This is the problem with radio phone-in programmes. Because they don't really differentiate between platforms of misplaced rage and justifiable calls for, well, justice, they leave us feeling kinda confused. Joe Duffy has people on who bring up issues that really do need solving (one a few months ago about the Alzheimers unit at Connolly Memorial was one I heard a few months ago), but then he, like Brenda Power, also entertains total nutjobs with their crazy talk, like the woman who should have been 'grateful' that she had her arse grabbed.

Rage sells, and I'm not sure if it's a good thing, on the whole, even if sometimes the issues are very much worth becoming angry about. I'm not convinced that it's a healthy price to pay.

I heard about that pay docking thing -- incredible. And ridiculous, and I'm sure that while 40 quid isn't a huge chunk of money, it is the result of bureaucracy making people feel powerless, and it probably compounded her grief, especially since her husband's death was possibly preventable. This is a guy who predicted that the underresourced fire service would result in tragedy. Her grief must really be something awful.

Still, since you asked, I will tell you what we should think. What I've leared from radio phone-in shows is that we are entitled to one of the following responses. Choose wisely, VascoJ, for your choice is LEGALLY BINDING:

1. "A national disgrace!"
2. "A regional disgrace!"
3. "What is that crazy woman/fella on about? She shouldn't be so greedy."
4. "THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!"
5. "I'm not racist, but the foreigns are a load of spongers."
6. "Kids today: A DISGRACE."
7. "All of the above."

That any good to you?

rarely listen to orla barry but when i do i don't find her too bad. power is the devil though.

I get really annoyed with her, but then sometimes she will spend a long time on something incredibly interesting that no one else has ever covered. She did a piece once on disability and sexuality, and it was really eye-opening. She was genuinely willing to have her eyes opened, made a load of time and space for intelligent discussion, and never allowed it to descend into stupidity -- it was a piece of rare dignity. Seriously. Her show also did that investigative piece on the WRC. I know they weren't the first, but she did manage to reach an audience that wouldn't have otherwise heard about it.

But I find these items by accident because a lot of the time, she ends up being reductive and lame and infuriating to the point where I feel angry andguilty for feeling so angry. It's disappointing when a show/presenter has good potential, but ends up just giving in to the talk radio bullshit. Newstalk had so much promise when it started. Coulda been an NPR type of station, and I know that was something they wanted to infuse into it initially, but the whole thing jsut went downhill. Apparently (this could be false, but someone told me this when it first started) they started the texting thing because they felt they didn't want to be a Liveline, and because texts were short and didn't involve giving the airwaves over to angry morons, it was easier to control content and have good discussion. That didn't last long at all at all.

Brenda has the sexiest voice ever.

Unless Kelly McDonald has just changed her name to Brenda Power without my knowledge you are well wide of the mark here.

kelly_mcdonald.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back