Yakuza, The Waiting Room, The Coldspoon Conspiracy (1 Viewer)

Yea or Nay

• Yea

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Nay

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Solutions
Auntie Annie's, Belfast 15/02/04

Auntie Annie's, from a live bands point of view is the Ideal venue in Belfast- A raised stage with ample room for a four piece, a good soundman and and a good monitor set up. The venue is small enough to generate an atmosphere with even the smallest of crowds, The Audience is no more then ten feet from the bands and there is still room to drink down the back if you dont like the band, all this said, this is my first time seeing bands in Annie's without having to get up and play after them.

First up are the Coldspoon Conspiracy. The only time I've really listened to these guys before was with the mp3 'really bad drunk' - which has been on my playlist for a few weeks - the sounds I'm hearing in auntie annie's are submarine era whipping boy and a dose of NIN nails somwhere in the off kilter riffs. Its definitley something I could get into, particularily the last song - the guitarist and bassist are trading on this riff, then suddenly its gone somewhere, you feel like you've heard three songs, the back drop starts unpeeling itself pin by pin, untill it reads "Spoon Piracy" and again, we're back to the guitarist and bassist trading on the riff - although this may not be how a band wanted to be remembered, its definitley entertainment. To pick flaws (for the sake of constructive criticism), I felt that for the take the guys have on music, they could do more with the live show to back it up.

Next Up are The Waiting Room. What they are is Nico Vocals, Dinosaur JNr Jangles, with the added factor thats been creeping in here recently - I suppose its a natural progression (without using the word prog) for Irish musicians to try things that are more traditional - Moodswings, atmosphere's, balladrey - basically, its like they've all started to play trad again only all they could find was a guitar, a bass and a drumkit. With the waiting room you get all this, from the moment they 'lift' into the start of the set the mood in Auntie Annie's has gone all shady, not like a jazz club, but more shady like the backdrop for a celtic thriller/horror movie - these guys arent afraid to play one note for ten minute's and just when you'd decided to go the bar and never come back comes the staple shock tactic of the loud riff in a different timing, you feel resolved and you can go home knowing you havent been cheated out of £3. My flames for this band: Some of the music just stopped short of completion, maybe a little more time given to the endings of songs might do the material more justice - the live presence was a little bleak from time to time, but otherwise, I'm buying this album.

Last Up is Yakuza - The Rules have changed at this point, I've offered to help out on the stall to give the players a rest. I'm now 50 ft from the stage and cant see the drummer at all. First of all, its an attack from the outset, and they're three songs in before you know whats going on - 'Badass Day' is rumbing through and a few locals have started "dancing", a few moments of onstage banter relating to davids recent 'stolen guitar' incident comes to an affectionate conclusion with david offering a peck of acceptance to his new guitar. Highlights were defintley the new songs they've been showcasing recently, the hawaiian flavoured 'shirts and skins' and the euro disco cum no means no 'the last elastoplast' - I cant wait for the second album and they havent even got the first one out yet... - They finish up harbouring a mantra that sounds a lot like 'georgy best'. Yakuza are on home territories tonight and it seems they're enjoying it.

Match of the day - people passing the stall are asking mostly about the Coldspoons + TWR and seem to have enjoyed the bands - TWR CD's are selling like hot cakes, a few coldspoon inquiries have been made, In retrospect, the biggest let down might have been the attendance...

KKKK

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back