XIU XIU (Usa, Kill Rock Stars) / CRAYONSMITH / ANGKORWAT - Whelans (1 Viewer)

skinny wolves

Website
www.skinnywolves.com
Amazing cult experimental avant pop goth noise group, XIU XIU, play Dublin to promote their new Greg Saunier produced LP "Dear God, I Hate Myself"

Skinny Wolves Presents,

==========================

XIU XIU (Usa, Kill Rock Stars)
w/ CRAYONSMITH & ANGKORWAT

Saturday 20th February 2010
Whelans, Wexford St, Dublin
Doors 7.30
Ticket Price : 15e ( from Road, City Discs, Tickets.ie/skinnywolves)

=============================

XIU XIU
http://www.myspace.com/xiuxiuforlife
http://www.xiuxiu.org/

Jamie+Stewart.jpg

ABOUT : 'Dear God, I Hate Myself'

cover_dg.jpg

Read almost any piece about Xiu Xiu and you'll see words like 'harsh' or 'brutal' — the same words that appear before 'truth' when an unwavering eye is turned on any intimate detail of our lives. Fair descriptions of the themes central to the music, they sit incongruous to the refined, intricate, and beautiful approach taken in crafting the twelve tracks on Xiu Xiu's new album Dear God, I Hate Myself.

Read almost any piece about Xiu Xiu and you'll see words like 'harsh' or 'brutal' — the same words that appear before 'truth' when an unwavering eye is turned on any intimate detail of our lives. Fair descriptions of the themes central to the music, they sit incongruous to the refined, intricate, and beautiful approach taken in crafting the twelve tracks on Xiu Xiu's new album Dear God, I Hate Myself.

Stewart is joined by new full-time band member Angela Seo on piano, synth, and drum programming; with production handled by Jamie and Deerhoof's Greg Saunier. Together they've crafted a fully grown sound for Dear God, I Hate Myself with elements from goth and pop that are expertly performed by a crop of brilliant musicians. Saunier himself plays on much of the record as does Ches Smith (John Zorn, Terry Riley, Marc Ribot) who supplies timpani, conga and moog along with a broad range of other instrumentation. Deerhoof's John Dieterich is all over a rendition of the traditional folk song “Cumberland Gap” and Xiu Xiu is even joined by the Immaculata Catholic School Orchestra in Stewart's ode to heartbreak and healing, “This Too Shall Pass Away (for Freddy).” The title track, one of four songs done primarily on a Nintendo DS, explores the relationship between faith and despair with a layer of commentary provided by the bizarre sounds of the music itself.

Each new Xiu Xiu release has evolved alongside the lives of Jamie Stewart and company. On this record you'll find more intensity and introspection than ever before, but sonically and lyrically it continues to move forward with a subtly new perspective — hyper-focussed yet aware of a larger, external picture unfolding. The pace of the record grips you, the music offers layers of detail, and the themes focus on not just the past or stark present but hint towards vespers of the future as well. Dear God, I Hate Myself will challenge you and force you to look inside yourself, but only after you get lost in the music. It's passionate, it's energetic, and it affects you.

Dear God, I Hate Myself is a beautiful piece of humanist art. It's an important addition to the growing body of intelligent music from Xiu Xiu. And it's a brilliant gothic pop record that can stand next to anything.

http://pitchfork.com/artists/4683-xiu-xiu/

//

Some videos

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
CRAYONSMITH
http://www.myspace.com/crayonsmith

617481682_l.jpg

For now, Ciaran is writing and demoing new material and playing solo shows with a synth and sampler set up as well as some acoustic shows. He recently played the Hefty Horse solo acoustic night with Goodtime John and Squarehead, opened for Phantogram and Benoit Pioulard in Berlin and supported Messiah J and The Expert in Dublin at the Richter Singles Club. He will play on the upcoming Out On A Limb records Irish tour in February to road test the new songs and will announce more live dates shortly.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
ANGKORWAT

http://www.myspace.com/angkorwatwat

l_a5a83f3f031f4975a6f08898d6eb4329.jpg

"Mysterious, cigarette-smoke skeletons of songs shake hands with eerie banshee keening - Corcoran creates a Bateau Ivre of sound, slowly sinking and marvelling towards the abyss (...) [angkorwat] stands, or sits cross-legged on the floor, surrounded by computers, cables and synths. Behind her, flickering images lick at a projector. Senses swirl in and out of the room, while synth loops wrap themselves around necks and hearts." - NME

"All eerily-filtered vocals and menacing synth melodies, the overall effect of her music is an unsettling, keep-watching-over-you-shoulders sensation you mightn't shake for days afterwards. Already earning the deserved attention of Wire magazine and producing her debut album with David Kitt, Angkorwat has more potential than you've had Monday morning headaches." - TotallyDublin

"smudged expressionist electronica that walks a tightrope between euphoria and worry." -Asleep On The Compost Heap

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back