Would you stay at home with your kids? (1 Viewer)

Essentially you're saying you should only be wealthy to have kids.

I am not saying those without a certain level of wealth should not have kids but it should be a consideration. Money is time. Time is money. Why have a child if you are going to be working all the time and have no time to foster it? Why have one if you can't even afford to take care of yourself? Say my body doesn't work so I can't have children... if I want to adopt I have to go through screenings -- financial and otherwise to judge if I could provide for a child. Just because someone has a working body, I don't think they should be exempt from a certain amount of thought into the responsibility before the decision to have one.

I am not saying those without a certain level of wealth should not have kids but it should be a consideration. Money is time. Time is money. Why have a child if you are going to be working all the time and have no time to foster it? Why have one if you can't even afford to take care of yourself? Say my body doesn't work so I can't have children... if I want to adopt I have to go through screenings -- financial and otherwise to judge if I could provide for a child. Just because someone has a working body, I don't think they should be exempt from a certain amount of thought into the responsibility before the decision to have one.

The problem with this is it's completely unworkable.
If your body is capable of having a child and you want a child, then you should be free to have a child - as it's your body.

Hayworth - you're right, actually. You shouldn't have kids. You're way stingy.

Ah Snaky.. .I wouldn't say that. She's being pretty sensible. But, as Seal once sang, "well you're never gonna survive unless you get a little crazy". And look at him. Face full of acne and married to top model Heidi Klum.

The problem with this is it's completely unworkable.
If your body is capable of having a child and you want a child, then you should be free to have a child - as it's your body.

I realize it's unworkable, I never said it was or there wouldn't be so many unwanted children everywhere. The question was posed, "what can our generation do to change the way things are..." my answer was to be more thoughtful of your actions, specifically when making the life altering decision of having a child. I am not saying people with working bodies shouldn't have the right to have children but the act of thinking about it in the way someone whose body doesn't work, would prevent a lot of what is wrong in this world. Again, my opinion. It's not a case of being stingy rather cautious of my actions and how they will affect others.

Hayworth - if you grew up running around the street swearing at strangers yourself, you probably think that's how your kids should behave, so the prospect of your own kids doing that is hardly going to put you off having them

Are we really disagreeing here about anything but the meanings of words? Hayworth, if your definition of expensive is "costing something more than zero" than yes, of course, children are expensive.

diddles and squiggle, if your definition of "working while looking after children" is doing bits and pieces while your child is asleep or watching tv then yes of course it's possible. What's not possible is doing a full day's work and a full day's childcare simultaneously

Beating a dead horse here but I just to make the point, .... so your opinions on... lets say America, are not valid and ridiculous because you weren't born or live there? Good to know. ;)

You missed my point entirely...
Not to worry...

You missed my point entirely...
Not to worry...

Still, I would'nt know...

But It's still a case of an opinion based on speculation Vs an opinion based on actual fact.
Well then please clarify. It's like saying big screen TVs are not expensive for me or anyone one else just because you managed to by one with little to no problem. I would like to know how someone with a kid can tell me that they would not be expensive for me or someone else? I doubt I am the only person in the world who struggles to make ends meet.

Right now, if I wanted a child, I would need to adopt. I would have to go through screenings and checks to see if I could properly care for a child. There is no way in hell an agency would give me a baby. Why? I couldn't afford one and I would not have the time to spend with it. I would like to know how just because someone with a kid says," it's fine, it's not expensive" while the government and those who can make these decisions based on studies would say otherwise?

I think it's absolutely insane to claim I have no right to an opinion (or it's less valid) on the expense of children just because I don't have one.

Well then please clarify.
I think it's absolutely insane to claim I have no right to an opinion on the expense of children just because I don't have one.

What I do think is "absolutely insane" is you calling nigglebths opinion "bullshit" which is why I began to comment in the first place...

And the sentence you neglected to include in your quote from my post is:

"Parents find a way".

All the clarification you need resides in that sentence.

What I do think is "absolutely insane" is you calling nigglebths opinion "bullshit" which is why I began to comment in the first place...

And the sentence you neglected to include in your quote from my post is:

"Parents find a way".

All the clarification you need resides in that sentence.

Parents may 'find a way' but that doesn't help those who would need to adopt and can't be granted the luxury of a child because 'finding a way" is not valid to the powers at be in adoption agencies. Statistically, children are a certain expense (and a rather high one to meet) or they would let any loving/sane person walk in and have a baby or child.

I can understand parents not wanting to attach dollar/euro signs to their existing kids, nor should they really if they are good parents. Perhaps that's the disagreement happening here but claiming there is no monetary difference is what I was calling bullshit on in his post. Maybe the first few months are simple but a child is 17+ years. I was 'bullshiting' the simplistic version of it.

Crap.
Breast milk is free.
Child eating our food = no money on babyfood
Clothes = you get a hell of a lot as presents

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back