worst ever cover version... (2 Viewers)

It's an interesting thing how it has become a formal style. Like this cover led me down a listening alley of early NOFX and Descendents earlier, and you can really hear them working out a thing as they went along (i was mostly listening to Ribbed).

Now it's a bit like playing rockabilly or Doo Wop or something, all you can really do is pay homage or parody it, or invert the rules, but those rules are now set.
I think I see what you’re getting at. It’s what happens when a once rebellious style of music that developed naturally is then taken over by a very conservative element who are resistant to any sort of change or development, so it ends up becoming completely formulaic.

I have to say Descendents and Nofx both progressed in their own ways over the years. Whereas when I watch this video, I see 4 middle aged still refusing to believe that their teenage years have ended

The traditional

Good music is music made when i was in my late teens / early twenties and and all that new/old stuff doesn't just cut it

Approach
Neither what I said nor applicable to what i was getting at, no.
I have to say Descendents and Nofx both progressed in their own ways over the years. Whereas when I watch this video, I see 4 middle aged still refusing to believe that their teenage years have ended
Oh yeah, but I doubt there's any young pop punk band out there who are aspiring to, say, Coaster over Punk in Drublic.

I kinda like that there's middle aged men doing music who have decided that this is our style and these are our musical rules we will never move outside them.

Ah yeah, sure look if they enjoy doing it fair play to them.
Interesting to compare to the NOFX version (which is from, like, 1989?)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lol, just listening to that NOFX version for the first time in 20 years I'd say. It's so bad haha

I fucking love early, terrible NOFX

Interesting to compare to the NOFX version (which is from, like, 1989?)

I just looked up Punk Rock Factory on Spotify. They’ve a full album of cartoon theme song covers and 2 Disney cover albums. That’s actually making me warm to them. Fair play to them. That’s commitment. I thought they were just some random pop punk band trying to get on to the cover of Kerrang.

Lol, just listening to that NOFX version for the first time in 20 years I'd say. It's so bad haha

I fucking love early, terrible NOFX
It was pretty amazing live. Not having ehh studio quality sound covered a multitude of sins. Like my recollection is that they fuckin nailed the harmonies, but video on YouTube would indicate that no, they did not.

It was pretty amazing live. Not having ehh studio quality sound covered a multitude of sins. Like my recollection is that they fuckin nailed the harmonies, but video on YouTube would indicate that no, they did not.
I saw them once in The Mean Fiddle ( I think )in Wexford Street. It was great fun. They gave out hundreds of the Fat Music for Fat People comp CD. Everyone I knew had one. I was previously unaware of them or "that" sound. It's good fun live but I'd never listen to it at home.

I saw them once in The Mean Fiddle ( I think )in Wexford Street. It was great fun. They gave out hundreds of the Fat Music for Fat People comp CD. Everyone I knew had one. I was previously unaware of them or "that" sound. It's good fun live but I'd never listen to it at home.
I remember my brother having a copy of that album despite having absolutely no interest in Nofx or any other Fat records band. It probably came from there. I remember it had a great propaghandi tune on it

I remember my brother having a copy of that album despite having absolutely no interest in Nofx or any other Fat records band. It probably came from there. I remember it had a great propaghandi tune on it
yeah, actually this is one of the better songs on it. I remember liking this line a lot : "Word acrobatics performed with both harness and net." "

Now it's a bit like playing rockabilly or Doo Wop or something, all you can really do is pay homage or parody it, or invert the rules, but those rules are now set.

Yeah that kinda codification is kinda fascinating - things generate their own playbook and everyone accepts it. It becomes it's own industry etc etc.

Much like Weezer I refuse to ever see them live, they live in the part of my brain that is still 14 and there they shall remain.

Much like Weezer I refuse to ever see them live, they live in the part of my brain that is still 14 and there they shall remain.
I saw them the last they played in the Olympia. They were excellent. They played the Decline and it sounded amazing. But my mates saw them at a festival a couple months before and said they were terrible so I think they can be bit of a lucky dip

I saw them the last they played in the Olympia. They were excellent. They played the Decline and it sounded amazing. But my mates saw them at a festival a couple months before and said they were terrible so I think they can be bit of a lucky dip
Having said that, that Olympia gif was about 13 years ago so it wasn’t exactly recent

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back