Work-related question if you please? (2 Viewers)

roxy

Website
Visit site
Ok, I've looked on oasis.gov.ie and I can't find the info I want.

Basically, I was working part-time (clearly, not so I could get through college but so I could buy drink to get me through college...it's been proven...anyway long story.) So I left recently and waited on my p45 and a cheque to arrive (the cheque being for my first week's pay, which they withold til you leave. Fair enough). Now I'm certain that I'm entitled to Holiday Pay for the period since my last holidays to the time I left (about 3 months). But the cheque I got today is just the first week's pay, and nothing else. Now, I want to ring up and eat the head of them coz I know they're probably just not being forthcoming in the hope that I'll forget all about it. Coz I know what they're like, and they're pricks. However, I don't want to be overly assertive without being 100pc clear on my rights.

I've gotten a sum of holiday pay before, at the end of other part-time employments. The thing is I'm not sure if that's just a goodwill gesture on the other employters' part or if it's my legal entitlement. yunno?

Surely for every 8 hours i worked since my last hols (start of September) til I left (end of November) I should get 1 hour's pay. Yeah?

Me head is bleedin wrecked. It's all very clear for full-time work but very hazy for the part-timers. Can any of you fine men and women give me an answer that's in any way conclusive.

(Also, a friend of mine left the job a week before me and so got his cheque earlier. He's having precisely the same problem and keeps getting fobbed off. So this game-playing is standard practice with them. Bastards.)

Please and thank you,
F

http://www.irishjobs.ie/advice/parttime.html

Holiday Entitlement

The holiday entitlement of a part-time employee is related to the holiday entitlement of comparable full-time employee, subject to the minimum legal entitlements under the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997.

Under the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 a part-time employee’s minimum annual leave entitlement is

• 4 working weeks in a leave year in which a part-time employee works at least 1,365 hours (unless it is a leave year in which he/she changes employment).
  • 1/3 of a working week per calendar month that the part-time employee works at least 117 hours.
  • 8% of the hours worked in a leave year subject to a maximum of 4 working weeks.

cookiemonster said:
http://www.irishjobs.ie/advice/parttime.html

Holiday Entitlement

The holiday entitlement of a part-time employee is related to the holiday entitlement of comparable full-time employee, subject to the minimum legal entitlements under the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997.

Under the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 a part-time employee’s minimum annual leave entitlement is

• 4 working weeks in a leave year in which a part-time employee works at least 1,365 hours (unless it is a leave year in which he/she changes employment).
  • 1/3 of a working week per calendar month that the part-time employee works at least 117 hours.
  • 8% of the hours worked in a leave year subject to a maximum of 4 working weeks.
I know this in relation to ordinary holiday leave, but i'm not sure about when you actually quit the job. That's the problem.

roxy said:
[/list]I know this in relation to ordinary holiday leave, but i'm not sure about when you actually quit the job. That's the problem.
oh right, found this on the citizens information site here - there's more stuff there about calculating your hours for public holidays and stuff if you want to read it

http://www.cidb.ie/live.nsf/0/4b5bef3e4c7fe91c80256dc9004a77e7?OpenDocument

What happens if you leave a job and have not taken your holidays?

An employee who is leaving a job is entitled to receive payment for any outstanding annual leave and public holidays due to him/her.

Enforcing your rights

Complaints in relation to holiday entitlements may be referred to a Rights Commissioner. Complaints should be brought within 6 months of the date of the dispute occurring. A Rights Commissioner can extend the time for bringing the complaint by a further 12 months where there is reasonable cause why the complaint was not brought within the first 6 months. Alternatively, the claim may be taken to the Employment Appeals Tribunal if it is connected with a claim in relation to another employment matter such as dismissal, maternity, notice, or redundancy.

the rights of the part time worker are close to none. i've been in part time jobs since as long as i can remember and generally you are treated in a second rate way. and anyway i thought it was 1.25 days for every month worked in a full time position? maybe jus fuhged aboudit

cookiemonster said:
What happens if you leave a job and have not taken your holidays?
An employee who is leaving a job is entitled to receive payment for any outstanding annual leave and public holidays due to him/her.
Yeah, this sounds like it's full-time though.

Thanks a million though cookiemonster. I appreciate it. I'll have a look at that site now. Forgot about dem citizens' info centres.

roxy said:
I've gotten a sum of holiday pay before, at the end of other part-time employments. The thing is I'm not sure if that's just a goodwill gesture on the other employters' part or if it's my legal entitlement. yunno?

Surely for every 8 hours i worked since my last hols (start of September) til I left (end of November) I should get 1 hour's pay. Yeah?

Me head is bleedin wrecked. It's all very clear for full-time work but very hazy for the part-timers. Can any of you fine men and women give me an answer that's in any way conclusive.
might be a silly question but ...
Are you sure you didn't get the holiday pay every time you got your wages? Check your wage slips! Some firms just pay holiday money weekly on top of their employess wages instead of giving them a lump sum. I think they have to ask you if you want to do this though.

Actually, I have a question. Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask it here. I've just taken on some occasional research work for a company in Cork, and I think I'm supposed to invoice them myself. Does anyone know how I work out the whole tax thing? Do I keep track of it myself, and then pay at the end of the year? Also, how do I work it out, given that I'm also doing casual work in UCD, and am also entitled to whatever student tax breaks there are? I also can't imagine I won't go over my tax-free allowance, but I'm still totally clueless as to how I do this.

How do you do an invoice, anyway?

jane said:
draw your sword and, while gently tapping the other person one first the right shoulder, then the left shoulder, then the right one again, declare to all present 'By the power vested in me by the grace of God, I hereby dub thee Sir [name-of-person]. Arise, Sir [name-of-person]!'

no, sorry, that's how you do a knighthood. what was the question again?

jane said:
I've just taken on some occasional research work for a company in Cork, and I think I'm supposed to invoice them myself. Does anyone know how I work out the whole tax thing? Do I keep track of it myself, and then pay at the end of the year?

www.ros.ie for all your self-employed tax thingies. I'm sure there's diocumentation there.

Your best bet would be to get an accountant. Rule of thumb for this: an accountant should be able to pay their own wages from the savings they make you. If it's only casual work, this is probably not viable. ROS probably isn't either, but you will have to square all your dealings with the taxman at the end of the tax year, currently, the last day of December each year.

http://freelancewrite.about.com/cs/howto/ht/htinvoice.htm follow it on to see the sample invoice. Or even just google for "sample invoice". An invoice is more or less just a bill.

Your best bet is to get a copy of the TAB Guide on Money Pensions and Tax, or one of the others that come out at this time of year. Colm Rapple does another one called Family Finances. He seems to know what he's talking about.

It's not complicated, just boring.

Goff said:
www.ros.ie for all your self-employed tax thingies. I'm sure there's diocumentation there.

Your best bet would be to get an accountant. Rule of thumb for this: an accountant should be able to pay their own wages from the savings they make you. If it's only casual work, this is probably not viable. ROS probably isn't either, but you will have to square all your dealings with the taxman at the end of the tax year, currently, the last day of December each year.

http://freelancewrite.about.com/cs/howto/ht/htinvoice.htm follow it on to see the sample invoice. Or even just google for "sample invoice". An invoice is more or less just a bill.

Your best bet is to get a copy of the TAB Guide on Money Pensions and Tax, or one of the others that come out at this time of year. Colm Rapple does another one called Family Finances. He seems to know what he's talking about.

It's not complicated, just boring.
Thanks! I'll check that out. I won't have to worry about anything until next year, seeing as I won't be paid for any of this until at least January.

In relation to the getting holiday pay question. When your requesting it ask in a letter rather than by phone. Letters have worked in the past for me when phonecalls haven't.

As for the invoices keep it simple, you can have a copy of mine if you like.

moose said:
In relation to the getting holiday pay question. When your requesting it ask in a letter rather than by phone. Letters have worked in the past for me when phonecalls haven't.

As for the invoices keep it simple, you can have a copy of mine if you like.
Cool, I might take you up on that.

As for letters/phone calls, people take letters a bit more seriously. Also, make sure you keep a copy for yourself. Same goes for emails. Always keep a record of correspondence. That's probably stating the obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back