with all this talk of how easy it is to put on gigs... (1 Viewer)

robin

Since 2000
myself and a few friends were thinking of putting on a gig of sorts in a month or two...
we have plenty of ideas,but the problem is that what we know about the technicalities of organising these things could be spelt with seven letters and a space.
with this in mind,is there anyone who could point me to a bluffers guide to this sort of carry on,or who could provide me with a brief rundown of the costs of putting on a gig in say,the shelter?
thanks in advance,
robin

cheers for the link to the kids article,that's exactly the sort of thing i was looking for...
as for the shelter,is it really £600 ?
can anyone suggest a slightly more realistically priced venue?
for some reason i was under the impression that the shelter was fairly cheap...

Doran's can be difficult to deal with (double bookings etc.) but I like it. It's free and there's a PA and a soundman provided.
Their number is 6799114. A guy called Saul books Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday nights and I'd say he's your best bet

jeepsters man, £600? the TBMC is cheaper than that. you could always try whelans but you run the danger of being bumped for a bigger promoter. plus there's at least a 2 month waiting list. apart from that, there's eamon dorans - the trick here is to get into a heated argument with dermot insisting that he's messed you up in some way and he'll promptly hand you £300 cash - it actually happened! other than them there's the four seasons on capel street, mcgraths of o'connell street, the temple on temple street but you're really much better off just headin down to limerick. it's much better fun than this boring old pubic town. bah.

I was at a gig maybe two years ago, around Christmas I think, in the New Theatre in Temple Bar, near Conolly Books. It was a Frames gig - and the venue really added to the gig - small & cosy.

What's the story with that as a venue for small gigs? has anyone put a gig on there lately? Is it expensive?

- Fintan

I might be wrong here but i think that maybe that was a once off i dont think they put on gigs there at all. but maybe im wrong. i often am

I asked the manager once and basically got told to fuck off.

Not that anyone should let that put them off asking again, of course....

are you talking about the project in templebar. They used to let you dring in yer own cans and all back in the day, they put on some good gigs.

hag (21 Mar, 2001 04:38 p.m.):
jeepsters man, £600? the TBMC is cheaper than that.

I was in the TBMC for the first time in around two years last night....It looks very plush these days doesn't it? I think it looks like a good venue though...and If it's cheaper than the Shelter it might be a good venue for a gig....

Also there's loads of drinking space, with the two bars and loads of fancy little seats. With the new modern decor, you'd think you were in temple bar or something :p

- Fintan

actually it was just done up but the problem apparently with the music centre (and i have inside sources on this) is that they fuck you over as much as they possibly can. Anyway apart from that theres a nice little gig going on there on Thursday with the connectfour orchestra, 46 long, the coldspoon conspiracy, estel, paul o'reilly and im not sure who else but it should be really kick ass. i'm dying for it anyway.

46 long
the coldspoon conspiracy
npb
low end (from belfast)
paul o' reilly
connect four orchestra

(running order is names out of a hat on the night)

all for two tiny squids

treelo (03 Apr, 2001 02:05 p.m.):
46 long
the coldspoon conspiracy
npb
low end (from belfast)
paul o' reilly
connect four orchestra

(running order is names out of a hat on the night)

all for two tiny squids

you rip-off bastards!!

i was told it was only £1.99

i wanna know where that penny's goin

germ (03 Apr, 2001 03:11 p.m.):
is this in the TBMC? 2 quid? how so? who's losing a fortune here?

good point...how can someone book that many acts for 2 snots a ticket and not lose a heap? I asked around the TBMC and people told me 300-1000 to rent the venue (i've no idea what that includes, it was just idle chit chat) but the point remains, how can someone afford to charge so little?

Especially if some scaldy beggar is pocketing £0.01 on each ticket, god and i thought ticketmaster were bad :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

M Stevens & The Ghasts + Vega Storm
Wexford Street
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back