• Replies 16
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 0

MDR

Did you get my email?
Website
www.myspace.com
This week on Ro's moan:

Wine bottles where it has a raised bit at the bottom and you think you have some wine left bit it's actually just a trickle.

So cruel.

I was told that the more expensive the wine the higher the raised bottom. That's bollox right?

Punts

A punt, also known as a kick-up, refers to the dimple at the bottom of a wine bottle. There is no consensus explanation for its purpose. The more commonly cited explanations include:[1]

• it is a historical remnant from the era when wine bottles were free blown using a blowpipe and pontil. This technique leaves a punt mark on the base of the bottle; by indenting the point where the pontil is attached, this scar would not scratch the table or make the bottle unstable.
  • it had the function of making the bottle less likely to topple over -- a bottle designed with a flat bottom only needs a small imperfection to make it unstable -- the dimple historically allowed for a larger margin of error
  • it consolidates sediment deposits in a thick ring at the bottom of the bottle, preventing it from being poured into the glass;[10]
  • it increases the strength of the bottle, allowing it to hold the high pressure of sparkling wine/champagne
  • it holds the bottles in place on pegs of a conveyor belt as they go through the filling process in manufacturing plants
  • it accommodates the pourer's thumb for stability and ease of pouring
  • According to legend the punt was used by servants. They often knew more than their master about what was happening in town, and with a thumb up the punt they could show their master whether a guest was reliable or not. (Vinavisen 19 may 2008 - danish)
  • it provides a grip for riddling a bottle of sparkling wine manually in the traditional champagne production process.
  • it simply takes up some of the volume of the bottle, giving the impression that you're getting more wine for your money than is actually the case
  • Taverns had a steel pin set vertically in the bar. The empty bottle would be thrust bottom-end down onto this pin, puncturing a hole in the top of the punt, guaranteeing the bottle could not be refilled [folklore].
  • The punt acts as a lens, refracting the light to make the color of the wine more appealing.
  • Prevents the bottle from resonating as easily, decreasing the likelihood of shattering during transportation.
  • Allows bottles to be more easily stacked end to end. [11]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_bottle

rip off

the worst is when you go to take a sip of brandy and it's actually one of joke "no spill" glasses.

the shame is only beaten by the unrequitedness of ot all.

I was told that the more expensive the wine the higher the raised bottom. That's bollox right?

I was told that too. I'm a brainless cheap wine drinker so I always pseudo-intellectually pretend I know something about wine to my more retarded friends by regurgitating that. Tell me I'm not wrong.

That was cruel...

I was told that too. I'm a brainless cheap wine drinker so I always pseudo-intellectually pretend I know something about wine to my more retarded friends by regurgitating that. Tell me I'm not wrong.

So it's true then?

I hope so, otherwise I've made myself look very foolish :D

Keep on drinking and you won't give two shits how foolish you look, but you will regurgitate more. If only I wasn't in work tomorrow I'd be lashing down suds, slashing on the tiles and flashing my genitals at reflective surfaces:p the auld lash slash and flash

I bought a tesco brand carton of wine the other day for about 4 euro. It wasn't even proper wine carton shape, it looked like juice. It was suprisingly ok.

I bought a tesco brand carton of wine the other day for about 4 euro. It wasn't even proper wine carton shape, it looked like juice. It was suprisingly ok.

I fucking swear by it

Even Had it as my avatar once

I didn't even get a hangover from it, I'm usually hangover free but cheap alcohol kills my brain. And nada! I give it the ciara seal of approval!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back