Why Fianna Fáil dominate Irish politics (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 88
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 6
Other countries have it that you can vote but register your non-vote. As in your participation still counts but you are saying you dont agree with any of the parties in the election and show your dissatisfaction with the system.

I think its more worth while than people not voting and then it getting put down by the older generation as 'can't be bothered' or 'too lazy'. I think people do care but they just cant see anything that really gets their attention

Other countries have it that you can vote but register your non-vote. As in your participation still counts but you are saying you dont agree with any of the parties in the election and show your dissatisfaction with the system.

But do they publish the figures for Non-Votes? Or do they just go around boasting about how healthy their political system is because they had an 80% or 85% voter turnout?

I'm not sure to be honest. I think that it is included in the results but it could be that it is passed off. Most likely in Ireland that would be the case but at least it'd be something to stop Politicans slagging off the Irish youth

this is sort of funny. serious but.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGwRLw1BMmc[/MEDIA]

I think its more worth while than people not voting and then it getting put down by the older generation as 'can't be bothered' or 'too lazy'. I think people do care but they just cant see anything that really gets their attention
vote dustin.

I'm not sure to be honest. I think that it is included in the results but it could be that it is passed off. Most likely in Ireland that would be the case but at least it'd be something to stop Politicans slagging off the Irish youth

Perhaps... but the suggestion made by some that we should instead go in and spoil our vote leaves us looking even less intelligent to my mind... as if we didn't know how to vote or had nothing better to do than play childish pranks. I feel that by entering a polling station I would be viewed as sanctioning our political system... which is the last thing I want.

Edit: I'm a big fan of the "vote nobody" idea. Pity it is too late this time round but maybe we need to rally under that flag next time.

i would differ on that - that would imply that any racism, crime, etc. in society should be reflected in government in a democracy.
It is. I don't think it's right, but that's the way things are.

as regards trying to convince RSJ, i've already made a suggestion.
You told him to go and read a book? Do you think he will read it? If not then that's not a very effective way of changing someone's mind

If I had a load of money I'd start a political party and hire tall, good-looking actors to run as candidates plus a team of writers to decide what they're going to say. I'd send the actors on intensive media training and work out everything with the writers in advance of any media appearance.

Sure aren't FG already running Graham Geraghty in yr neck of the woods? (Which part of Meath are you in?)

what do you want me to say? that the opposition are different?
that's what this hinges on, and something tells me he's not going to be arsed listening to some random punter from the internet.

things like this make me cry.

I would agree that voting for your local politican that helps you personally is no harm. I dont see any problem with this.

I know that FG are coming out predominately in the West for a lot of people primarily because of Enda Kenny being from Mayo. It's not that anyone is majorly in favour of FG but they are the most party that will take care of the West if they get in, I believe.

Politics are really complicated and who has the time to constantly keep up to date with them. In all honesty most people go in and vote (particularly in a rural setting) for their local known to them candidate who they feel will help them not based on party politics.

Theres feck all difference between the parties anyways

what do you want me to say? that the opposition are different?
that's what this hinges on, and something tells me he's not going to be arsed listening to some random punter from the internet.
Ah I just think if you want to change the way things are you need to make more of an effort, that's all. You probably know this already

Graham Geraghty is in east Meath, I'm in west. Apparently he recently thanked Fianna Fáil for the chance to run, the lug

Ah I just think if you want to change the way things are you need to make more of an effort, that's all. You probably know this already
maybe i figured that suggesting a book, of which the credentials and biases of the author are probably better known to him than my credentials and biases, would be better than me, an unknown joe soap on the internet, mouthing off about why FF is systematically corrupt (last two FF taoisigh leaving office in disgrace, serious questions about this one) in nowhere near as comprehensive or researched a manner as in the book.

(last two FF taoisigh leaving office in disgrace, serious questions about this one)

Nitpick:

Haughey resigned in disarray more than disgrace - the real corruption only came to light once he had retired. Reynolds fudged the Harry Whelehan stuff and Dick Spring whipped the carpet out from under him - more an embarassment than a disgrace.

Not to say that FF isn't systematically corrupt - the indications are very much that it is - but disgrace as a result of corruption has yet to directly bring down any Taoiseach.

I agree with this. Show up and write "fuck you" or whatever on the paper. It's the taking part that counts guys. I'm giving this serious thought.

But do they publish the figures for Non-Votes?
They always count them and read out. "FF 11002 votes, FG 11000 votes, spoiled 3003033030303 votes", so I guess they must publish them somewhere.

I agree with this. Show up and write "fuck you" or whatever on the paper. It's the taking part that counts guys. I'm giving this serious thought.

everyone should have a sneaky wipe with the voting slip.

mary o'rourke is on the vincent browne show now - shes a bit of a laugh in fairness

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back