Why do you make music and for how long more? (1 Viewer)

Beanstalk

Website
www.myspace.com
So if you're making your own original music, do ya reckon you'll always be gigging, recording and trying to put your music out there, or does there come a time when you say "fuck it, whats the point", and start a wedding band.

I know I'll always be making music and recording it, and I hope I've got a few more good years gigging...as far as Why? goes...I'm a member of the 'make music for myself and if anyone else likes it, great" camp, and have fuck all drive to sell squillions of records...just a cool creative outlet, and a good way to spend a few hours a week with your mates, trying to do something no-one's done before...or at least, something we've never done before.

So any retired muso's out there? Do you miss it? Why did you call time on it?

And for those about to rock...what keeps you going? What makes it worthwhile.

This thread is officially gay.

never say die

stooge.gif

This is a good thread.

I'm going to do an album this year and after that take a back seat, live my life a bit - I'd love to start a family. I have come to use music and songwriting as a way of understanding my life rather than as a hobby. I don't get any sense that it will always be like that. I get great comfort from seeing how anthony, egg and snakybus have managed to stay creative after becoming grown ups. (Imagine knowing your dad was called snakybus?)

Over time I'll just let the ideas build up, and then if I still feel creative I will possibly do one more album in a few year's time (before I'm 40). At the moment, having written the stuff for the new album i feel exhausted creatively.

I was briefly involved with a few fairly naff bands but haven't done anything in about 3/4 years besides a few impromptu jams all of which i enjoyed thoroughly. the prospect of being in a band and taking it someway seriously is a really daunting prospect now for some reason, even though i used to exhibit unbridled enthusiasm for all things band related. don't see how most people fit it into their work/personal life without going completely insane...

Good thread for me.. I've just turned 30 and have been thinkin about this too. A guy I know, who is one of the most talented guitarists I've ever seen, has just had a baby and moved away from the city - and he now has no real interest in playing again. He actually has started drumming for another band (he's one of them multi-instrumentalist gits) in order to help them out. I think it's a terrible shame!

The band I'm in, we've been looking for a guitarist for about a year and a half too, and the only replies we get are from 17 - 20 year olds.
We all know it would never work that well, or at least only be temporary until they finish Uni or whatever.

But surely being a bit older doesn't mean you have to quit the local band scene..! I now have (for the first time) money to buy good kit, get websites made, print t-shirts etc, and my musical knowledge and interests are much wider than they would have been when I was 20, and I think that shows in the music.. so why does everyone stop altogether!?

Nothing better than starting with nothing and making a fully grown song, that you'll always have...like a photograph of your life at that time...even if the song is not about you.

Ah making your own music is grrreat...how could you just stop.

It's such a simple appeal, but it's great to think that a song never existed before you wrote it or that it would never have existed if not for you being on earth. Makes me feel like a God thereby justifying my wrath etc.

i went through a good few years of not playing, writing or listening to music after having spent my late teens + all of my 20's doing just that - couldn't stand it anymore. but in the last 2 years i'm back doing it again and it couldn't be more fun!! its a great outlet, socially and creatively. and the buzz you get from writing songs and playing them to people is amazing (even if the people you play them to dont think so). !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back