Why do you make music and for how long more? (1 Viewer)

I always thought I'd keep doing the whole songwriting/band thing for a long time and I think I will but I've definitely gotten lazier about things. I can barely make one rehearsal a week, let alone two or three. Mind you, this might change once I get away from the old 9-5 i.e. Friday and have more free time. I've also found it much harder to think of things to write about. In fact, if anyone has any ideas put them on a postcard/in a pm and send them to me.

I can barely make one rehearsal a week, let alone two or three.

People practice two or three times a week??!! Wow. Is that how you get good?

How do you find the time?

It's not easy.
We used to rehearse whenever, wherever, very vague but when our first boy was born I found I had to tighten up my life a bit. Time management I suppose. So we set a certain evening every week at the same time for rehersing. It can be done.

Also I work from home so I generally pick up the guitar when I get a minute. I have a mic and a small mixer permanently into my computer (which I sit at all day) and I can easily record stuff with no set up and take down time.

But yea, it's not easy.

I heard that these LITE guys rehearse for 6 hours at a time
Yeah but how much of that time do they spend smoking? 3 hour practice 20min break that's the way forward.

space_piperf.jpg

A band is like a shark....it needs to keep moving or it eats Robert Shaw.

Therefore you must always practice, I think, even if you don't have a gig or a recording thing coming up. Try to change and develop. That's what I think anyway.

How to do it when you have kids? It's all about scheduling time. I have two kids but you'll very seldom hear me say that I can't do such-and-such a gig or recording session or whatever. Basically it's just about priorities, and it's second on my list after my kids. I find that, with many people, music is like third or fourth, after their job, going out boozing, going on holidays, home decorating etc. So when time is tight, you just assess what your priorities are and use that as the basis for all decisions. Also, I work on a contract or freelance basis, so I have moved stuff around to accomodate everything. At the moment, I'm on a month's break, and I'm staying at home with the new baby while also sorting out the new Groom album and all the stuff that surrounds that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back