Which portfolio course should I accept? (1 Viewer)

I did Graphic design in Colaiste Dhulaigh for a HND. It was appalling. The facilites were shite - the teaching was mixed, so great teachers and some who had no business in there. The teachers who were good were all new and as far as I know have all left by now.

The Graphic Design however is 'taught' in their 2nd Campus (as they called it) which caused some of the problems. Stuff took longer to get fixed/replaced there ect etc..

Am I naive or snarky thinking that if you wanna do an art course you should already have a substantial enough portfolio at LC time?

no way, its really hard to get a portfolio together by yourself when you're in school. i know a lot of people do expencive short term portfolio courses during mid term breaks and stuff in leaving cert.

its more rewarding to take your time with it and learn new things in a plc course. if you enjoy making art then an extra year of learning is never a waste of time. theres a bit of an overlap in the kind of projects you'll do in first year ncad but it'll give you an edge and you'll be able to push it further..

Dunno about Dhulaigh, but You'll learn how to draw in ballyfermot.Insofar as i know the facilities vary depending on the courses, but fuck. You'll learn how to draw. The Portfolio corses are a good way of prepping yourself for art college. It's not too labour intensive, and the advice given comes in pretty handy when you're deciding on which college you want to move on to. It also provides talented students with poor leaving certs with a chance of getting into a course purely on the merit of their work, and not on the grades of unrelated subjects.

do it gal. But stick with it, set your projects early and commit to them. It's real easy to fob off these courses because a lot of places dont care wheather you come in or not, they're too busy teaching to hassle people for projects etc.

Gluck.

You'll have a great portfolio after, and it's year well spent.

I totally agree with Maryjane and Corey here, I went to Colaiste Dhulaigh ten years ago (ten!!!) and did the portfolio prep course. It was a good course, it was fun times, I got to draw all day and not have to do maths and shit, I didn't have to wear a uniform, it was cool. In hindsights there was a lot of pompous crap around it and some of the folks were total drama queens who ate up more time in class then they should've, but that's art college!

I started wanting to do fine art and by the end was more into graphic design, I still liked drawing but I wasn't happy about being 'graded' for it, felt it was competive... and then I got into typography, which never would've happened in school, so that was cool.

Most people seem to get out of the leaving cert and want to hit college and get the hell thru it all A.S.A.P., best advice I could give you Roisin is take your time, do a PLC try out loads of stuff you haven;t before (both courses should do cermaics and have a dark room... man I love hanging out in dark rooms, the red light, the bang of chemicals...) and you might even find something you hadn't ever considerd before

Just don't be a drama queen and monopolise the teachers time with your rambling uninteresting prattle... everyone in the class will hate you for it :)

some of the folks were total drama queens who ate up more time in class then they should've, but that's art college!
used to spend a bit of time around ncad,i was kinda dissapointed in people for fitting into this stereotype so easily for me.

i can't imagine having a year of doing a portfolio is a bad thing,better than committing to a full course and then realising its not exactly what you wanted to do.

You should see what my girlfriend is planning.. She's done 1 year legal studies in Griffith to date.. She hates it.. Wants to do art. So she's going doin a fashion portfolio course which is 1 year, the course is 4 years and there's an add on year for fashion.. Thats 7 years!!! She could be a doctor in the same time!

Yeah but doctors are squares and wear shit clothes. All of them.

i dunno which is better but its a good idea to do the prep course definitely, i went and did business for a year and then applied for graphics and got it with a portfolio i did myself, not even having done art but after 2nd year i couldnt keep up and took a year out and it definitley had alot to do with not understanding sketchbooks and preparatry work and all that, and i would imagine that prep courses would be good for that, so there|!
good luck with it anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back