Where to start?? (1 Viewer)

The two things I'm itchin to see live are
Verdi's requiem and Mozart's requiem.
For shivers down the spine they can't be beat.
Maybe if the pope dies visiting here I'll have a chance....

Daveor said:
We sang that mozart requiem at college, really intense.|..|

never heard the verdi, gets good props buh!

sarah said:
some beautiful unaccompanied singing (I know there's a term for it but it escapes me now)
If it involves putting on a bit of a contorted face, it's probably sean-nós. I think did my bit for putting a few Austrians off it altogether a while back, there were two of us there off smoking pipes in the Long Valley like ninety year olds and we started making a bit of it up, terrible it was. This crowd of Austrians were there probably thinking this kind of nonsense was a regular occurence.

aoifed said:
'Chi Mai' aka the theme from The Life and TImes of David Lloyd George by Morricone is fuggin deadly aswell.
Sure it's Morricone, pretty much goes without saying.

ratmonkey said:
If it involves putting on a bit of a contorted face, it's probably sean-nós. I think did my bit for putting a few Austrians off it altogether a while back, there were two of us there off smoking pipes in the Long Valley like ninety year olds and we started making a bit of it up, terrible it was. This crowd of Austrians were there probably thinking this kind of nonsense was a regular occurence.
It is in this club:
http://www.goilin.com/

Seanós singing is grand altogether.

Daveor said:
The Mozart is on about four times a year...dyou live in Dublin at all?

i have been listening to some classical this evening while working: Bartók, Benedictine monks of St. Michael and Debussy. nice

Larry Potter said:
They do play some nice stuff if you catch a good program but around prime time they play some awful shite, popera(tm) and the like.

If possible, tune into bbc radio 3, a higher quality all round due to less pandering to advertisers etc, available on chorus/ntl and sometimes sky, interweb stream if yr band is broad.

How come the electronica people aren't included on these sites?

Why when contemporary irish music is mentioned, does one generally
come to the conclusion that bow ties and violins are involved, rather
than a laptop and hoody?

Because you have a degree in composition and have had one or two works in progress to be listed as a composer. I've actually had a meeting with the lady who runs the CMC about the lack of recognition for electronic and improvising musicians, She is very open-minded and curious but the arts council are very ignorant of what's going on in this country. They only support Jazz, trad and classical and modern composition. They think that everything else is pop without recognising the hard-working people producing innovative music without any hope of profit. They see no real difference between the likes of Ambulance and Busted.

sarah said:
how come thumped is never updated with any gig listings or info for this
kind of stuff, apart from that one time denis Mcnulty posted up about
the young composers series in the NCH I haven't heard anything else.

I actually e-mailed and told them about thumped so they've no excuse especaily since they were all whinging about not reaching a wider audience at that symposium Scott attended.

The CMC have an excellent monthly email though. so get on it

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Though why not include pop?
Because they're primarily concerned with aiding music which is 'Art' and isn't commercial. Funds are limited Pop musicians can get record deals and get rich.
Classical music is largely excused from the laws of supply and demand. Ticket prices are kept affordable through funding.

Classical music can very expensive. Bobby McFerrin conducting the Vienna Orchestra was €120. Other prices ain't cheap. Classical music is just as commercially minded as anything else. The price is usually based on how popular the show will be rather than benevolence on behalf of the promoters. Look at the prices of concerts - it's definitely based on supply and demand.

My point is that if you think the distinction between what cmc support and electronica is arbitrary, so are other distinctions. How would you stand over calling one song 'art' and saying another isn't? I'd like to see cmc broaden their view, but it's impossible to provide a robust argument for certain types of music being included/excluded.

I agree with Ro, it's a musical jungle out there, and some of us are Tarzan and some of us are cheetah. What counts, though, is who's unlucky enough to get the greasy vine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back