Whelans=wtf (1 Viewer)

kstop

Website
stunbunny.org
So this Saturday, I got kicked out of Whelans. I'd been waiting at the small upstairs bar for 15 minutes, during which time the barman had passed over me twice. I asked him what the story was, and he sneered at me and called over a bouncer. And that was that. I thought that this was a bit unusual behaviour on their part, but according to various other people it's not.

I'm actually quite pissed off about this, as it left my girlfriend quite upset, and the main reason I'd gone out was to try and take her mind off the bad news she'd got about a close relative's health. Is it unusual? Was it just me (and the two people I've asked so far)? Is there any point in complaining?

Turded. Especially if it's happened to other folk as well, as you say. One complaint might not do the business, but if they get a few then they might consider doing summit.

If it was a manager or a bouncer then complaining probbaly wouldn't help much, but there's absolutly no need to put up with obnoxious bar staff with attitude problems.

I'm interested to know what time this happened.
His attitude may have b een bad because there was a four strong queue (sic) at the bar all night and he kept running out of glasses/stout/change all night. Nerves tend to get a bit frayed after a bit; especially if somebody punches you in the face and somebody else throws red bull bottles at your head, both of which happened to him that night.

As far as i'm concerned, almost every rude, irritating bargeezer is no longer working there and if a barperson is rude to you on a friday or saturday night, it's probably becase te place happens to be full of wankers that particular night. I would suggest a little patience. Also, a please and thank you goes a fuck of a long way.

Fair enough it was busy, surely the barman could understand punters getting a tad aggravated?

Getting chucked out for asking what's up fter waiting 15minutes at the bar seems harsh.

Admittedly I could be tad biased, I got chucked out of the front bar bit a few weeks ago.

I spotted a bar stool which was unattended, had no one within two metres and those at the two metre mark said "oh I don't think anyones using it mate".

yoink.

A few minutes later I'm grabbed by the lapels, knocked off said stool and pushed up against the wall trying to apologise and offer the stool back to some extremely drunk guy who was trying to start a fight.

He was however a regular, moreso then my once a week or so at least, knew the bouncer on the door, so I was *dragged* over to the bouncer and he chucked me out, apologising with sorry but he's a regular I know well so you'll have to go.

It took me a few minutes to get the bouncer to let me nip back in to get my coat even though the bouncer said himself if it had been someone else acting like the stool nutter, the nutter would've been chucked.

mutter.

grumble.

!baggyyyy

Originally posted by binky

No later than about 12:30.

His attitude may have b een bad because there was a four strong queue (sic) at the bar all night and he kept running out of glasses/stout/change all night.

I'm only counting the time I was standing directly at the bar. It was busy, though if you mean four deep, it wasn't quite that.

Nerves tend to get a bit frayed after a bit; especially if somebody punches you in the face and somebody else throws red bull bottles at your head, both of which happened to him that night.

I'd like to say I'm surprised.

I would suggest a little patience. Also, a please and thank you goes a fuck of a long way. [

I know it's not the funnest of jobs, and I always say please and thank you. I've been going to Whelans since I moved to Dublin 9 years ago and I've never had any trouble - or caused any. And I know that in a crowded club the staff's judgement needs to be trusted. But in this case I believe that that trust was abused.

I didn't get around to calling tonight, as stuff came up, but I will tomorrow. If, as seems to be the implication, you work in Whelans, is there anybody in particular I should be talking to?

Originally posted by kstop
No later than about 12:30.

Actually, according to my girlfriend, it was about 11:30, 11:45 at the latest. Which fits, since the post-band club was only a couple of songs in when I went up to the bar.

Originally posted by binky
His attitude may have b een bad because there was a four strong queue (sic) at the bar all night and he kept running out of glasses/stout/change all night.

Surely the solution to this Gordian-esque problem lies not in having customers ejected from the premises, but in having more glasses, more stout, more change and more staff available?

Nerves tend to get a bit frayed after a bit; especially if somebody punches you in the face and somebody else throws red bull bottles at your head, both of which happened to him that night.

One can't help but wonder if these (inexcusable) acts of violence were the cause or the result of his apparent attitude problem?

As far as i'm concerned, almost every rude, irritating bargeezer is no longer working there and if a barperson is rude to you on a friday or saturday night, it's probably becase te place happens to be full of wankers that particular night.

Ah yes, but on which side of the bar?

I jest, I jest!

However, I fear the staff member in question, if not the business (nay, the entire trade!) as a whole, may have lost sight of the simple fact that it is they who should feel priveliged to have the customer patronise their establishment, and not the opposite.

I would suggest a little patience. Also, a please and thank you goes a fuck of a long way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the requirements of Polite Society also extend to those employed in the service industry also? Should not the customer expect more than staff who deign to serve them on a whim, and thank them with a grunt at best?

It is not the role of the customer to make the employees feel better. It is the employees role (nay, duty!) to do so for the customer.

Bettabuys would never have tolerated this. Not in my day.

Originally posted by kstop
So this Saturday, I got kicked out of Whelans. I'd been waiting at the small upstairs bar for 15 minutes, during which time the barman had passed over me twice. I asked him what the story was, and he sneered at me and called over a bouncer. And that was that. I thought that this was a bit unusual behaviour on their part, but according to various other people it's not.

I'm actually quite pissed off about this, as it left my girlfriend quite upset, and the main reason I'd gone out was to try and take her mind off the bad news she'd got about a close relative's health. Is it unusual? Was it just me (and the two people I've asked so far)? Is there any point in complaining?

questions-

did you actually have a watch to time the "15 minutes"?
how did you approach the situation with the barman , nicely or rudely?(I am guessing rudeness was involved.)
were you sober?or were you fairly pissed when this happened?
have you ever worked in a bar before?
what the fuck has your birds personal business got to do with it?

Originally posted by spiritualtramp
questions-

did you actually have a watch to time the "15 minutes"?

Nope, but I looked at my girlfriends immediately before I went up and later on after being ejected. You have a point though, i may have been longer than that.

how did you approach the situation with the barman , nicely or rudely?(I am guessing rudeness was involved.)

"What's the story? you've passed me over twice now." were in fact my exact words. At that point he shot a dirty look at me, went over to the other side of the bar to wave over the bouncer person - tallish, clean-shaven, light brown cropped hair - and came back and told me that he wasn't serving me. I was taken aback and asked why, but he wouldn't answer. Then the bouncer came over, so I moved off to the side to talk to him. I told him I'd done nothing to warrant being kicked out, but he said that it didn't matter, that if a member of staff didn't like me, I was out. I argued the point for a couple of minutes. Eventually giving up, I went over, told my girlf what was going on, and left.

were you sober?or were you fairly pissed when this happened?

I only had a vodka and two Guinnesses on me, drunk over a period of about 2 hours, and it's kindof an irrelevant point anyway. I'd hope that someone working in Whelans would be used to dealing with people with alcohol in their system.

have you ever worked in a bar before?

Only a sleepy rural one, so nothing comparable, no. Why is that relevant?
what the fuck has your birds personal business got to do with it?

It's illustrating the fact that said barman's little ego trip had more than one victim. To be honest, if it hadn't been for her I'd be joking about it.

I was at that very bar upstairs for 25 minutes waiting to get a pint of the amber nectar down my neck. The barman looked as if he had just been fisted by a gorilla but would you blame him? I know i was being abnoxious and drunken as all hell and may have left a wee puddle of drool on the counter. i would serve me either, but i would necessarily get my ass slung out the door either.

Uncool...

"Nope, but I looked at my girlfriends immediately before I went up and later on after being ejected. You have a point though, i may have been longer than that."

or it may perhaps of been shorter than that.

""What's the story? you've passed me over twice now." were in fact my exact words."

in what tone?how loud did you shout this?

"I only had a vodka and two Guinnesses on me, drunk over a period of about 2 hours, and it's kindof an irrelevant point anyway."

not if you had 14 pints of cider and a bottle of buckfast beforehand.

"Only a sleepy rural one, so nothing comparable, no. Why is that relevant?"

just wondering if you know what kind of hell it is to work in a bar.

"It's illustrating the fact that said barman's little ego trip had more than one victim. To be honest, if it hadn't been for her I'd be joking about it".

victims?
oh for fucks sake go and watch the news.
there are plenty of people in the world much more deserving of the title victim than you or your bird.

Originally posted by spiritualtramp
""What's the story? you've passed me over twice now." were in fact my exact words."

in what tone?how loud did you shout this?

In a high piercing tone, loud enough to wake the dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back