what's with folk releasing stuff on cassette? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter mark
  • Start date
  • Replies 122
  • Views 14K
  • Watchers 8
The only 10" I ever owned was by the Wedding Present (Corduroy, Smile, Crawl, Take Me - live). Got it in the Abbey Mall. Your man warned me it would probably skip - "they always do, 10 inches". He was right, it did, right in the middle of the 5 minute guitar solo of Take Me. Never bought another one.

Tapes sometimes did weird things like Side B playing Side A backwards. Satanic!

I used to own that 10" - got it in Borderline. Abysmal sound quality. Got the normal sized Ministry LP at a later stage.

In the 1990s some bright spark decided to reissue The Smiths back catalogue on 10". Admittedly some were double 10"s but still - it just didn't look right.

Another cassette thread? I'm not going to post in this one as I explained why I like tapes so much in the other two threads linked at the start of this one but basically its because they're cheap to make and cheap to buy. A lot of stuff like the drone/synth/noise stuff thats released on LP is US only, shipping for records from the States has gone through the roof. Distros usually charge a flat $14 minimum postage now and then its $4/5 for every extra one while a tape is much cheaper..

And I really do think that there are bands releasing only online or via mp3 who are going to have no record of their music left in a few years because of inevitable hard drive failure or deletion. Even download links/hosting don't last long at all.

I have a Jerry Vale compilation I found in a puddle in Arbour hill in 1995.Its about as old as cassettes get I reckon.Still plays.
Its one of about 7 I still own.I used to have LOADS.I dont miss them at all.

There are lots of old high-quality tapes out there that haven't degraded at all, however the lower quality ones certainly have. I have a box of high quality german tapes from the 1980s and 1990s that are in mint condition, although some of the music is goddawful (I used to think Bonnie Tyler had a great voice but one listen to her overproduced album with multilayered choirs and reverb on everything has made me hate the sound of her voice).

I don't think it's even retro, it's simpler than that - tapes are cheap, so the price of the record is much lower, and you actually get a good quality product. Lots of people do have cassette players hanging around. You get liner notes and a proper cover (remember those). When you compare them to modern computers for example, hard drives that die, tapes are very durable.

Out last two tapes have sold out, but you can listen online:
http://www.youreonlymassive.com/mixtapes/page6.html
and there's a new one coming soon!

a proper cover (remember those)

6a65228348a0db3288960110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

the only 10" i have the always skips in the joan of arse ep with the french name. shower of cowboys the arse.

still not convinced that relaseing stuff on cassette isn't just a bit of retro trendiness. nothing wrong with it. i just don't see the point.

god, i think thats maybe why i never got into gaming. memories of sitting by the tape player listening to the electrocuted donkey sounds of mars lander loading onto the acorn electron.

Tapes are gash, and the idea that they're more durable than hard drives is patently nonsense.
However, I would say that the art of making mix tapes was one of the great lost pastimes of the c90-era, complete with mantage artwork. Mix CDs or MP3s is not the same.

the only 10" i have the always skips in the joan of arse ep with the french name. shower of cowboys the arse.

still not convinced that relaseing stuff on cassette isn't just a bit of retro trendiness. nothing wrong with it. i just don't see the point.

Retro trendiness like guitars and analogue synths. Would people ever cop on, get with the times and just make their music with a computer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back