what's with folk releasing stuff on cassette? (4 Viewers)

• Thread starter mark
  • Start date
  • Replies 122
  • Views 14K
  • Watchers 8
dunno, but i found my jackbeast 'hello syphilis' demo tape in the attic a couple of weeks ago. it got played, and it still rules.

Some threads on it here:

http://thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?80403
http://thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?82998

seems to be mainly loved by people who don't have a vendetta against cassette's because it's all we had 'back in the day'. I was probably among the last generation of people to have only had tapes as a teenager (well, young teenager anyway). Obviously you had CD's but CD copying was too expensive back then.

I've softened my worldview on tapes to 'sure why the hell not' ? Nothing wrong with continuing a format.

Ha yeah the auld video games for dead platforms is huge. People do games for the MSX, original Gameboy, Speccy, Amstrad etc.

I love that, it's kinda bizarre and kinda great.

Also, I have no objection to tape releases, have toyed with doing one myself.

Ha yeah the auld video games for dead platforms is huge. People do games for the MSX, original Gameboy, Speccy, Amstrad etc.

different thing though, no? making a game for a dead platform requires a certain amout of skill and working within the specific parameters of what the console (or whatever) can do.

not trying to be curmudgeonly, i just don't see where the 'fun' in releasing music on tapes is. tapes snarl up and the quality degrades awfully over a short period of time. i had a splicing kit. loads of my old tapes had bits of songs missing.

Danny Glover.jpg

I have highish quality tapes that I recorded in the '90s, some of them have no degradation that I can hear. In fact I have a couple of tapes from the 1970's that are still playable. I've digitised the '70s tapes though cos they're one off recordings of my late grandad and others.

I'm wondering;

tape in 1982: AAA
tape in 2011: DDA most likely?

On one hand it could be at least something to do with whatever boxes of tapes are gathering dust around the world, on the other hand making new tapes just to facilitate quikiness seems a bit of a waste.

but lots of people dont. more in fact id wager.
if they brought out released that were both on cd AND tape itd be more understandable. but fuck that shit. so retro-novelty it annoys me.

including a download code is the way to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back