Whats the story with Tesco's? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 82
  • Views 14K
  • Watchers 4
This is perhaps a tiny bit drenched in paranoia but I fear a day when there will be no independant Irish farmers left, just large corporate farms where everything is grown in peat moss hanging baskets and is served with a side of angel dust ridden beef from super cattle that have never seen a piece of grass in their life and are shipped here from half way accross the globe.

Cool.... this nightmarish dystopia will surely spawn a lot of good music

Tesco is great! Just figured out where me local one is and it's brilliant, they sell paint! Cost me 60euro to do the sprogs room and it would have only cost 20 there.
Don't know about the food though.

This is perhaps a tiny bit drenched in paranoia but I fear a day when there will be no independant Irish farmers left, just large corporate farms where everything is grown in peat moss hanging baskets and is served with a side of angel dust ridden beef from super cattle that have never seen a piece of grass in their life and are shipped here from half way accross the globe.

no-to-lisbon.jpg

i hear that small producer stuff (glenisk youghurt, that sort of thing) is greatly more expensive than in tesco (going on prices in ashbourne). of course, the tesco own brand is dirt cheap, but i suspect tesco are going to use low sales figures to justify removing them from the shelves.

price for a 500ml bottle of tiger beer in o'brien's in ashbourne: €2.59. in tesco: €3.49. redbreast 12 year old - o'brien's, €35. tesco, €45.

i hear that small producer stuff (glenisk youghurt, that sort of thing) is greatly more expensive than in tesco (going on prices in ashbourne). of course, the tesco own brand is dirt cheap, but i suspect tesco are going to use low sales figures to justify removing them from the shelves.

Tesco Finest yoghurts kick the ass of Glenisk. Glenisk seem to do all low fat.

Low fat = bullshit.

citysickness was telling me he was in tesco and picked up a pack of four tesco finest apples. walking past the standard apples, he noticed that the same variety of apples was for sale - same packaging, looked the same, same batch number. they were charging (from memory) over 50% more for the same apples, because they'd got the 'finest' sticker on them.

citysickness was telling me he was in tesco and picked up a pack of four tesco finest apples. walking past the standard apples, he noticed that the same variety of apples was for sale - same packaging, looked the same, same batch number. they were charging (from memory) over 50% more for the same apples, because they'd got the 'finest' sticker on them.
he's fair getting some mileage out of that one.

http://thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=50752

the finest range is an exercise in how to market to suckers.

The coleslaw's nice though.

What about Tesco Value stuff. I've started investigating in the last couple of weeks. The rice and penne pasta seem fine, as do the spaghetti hoops. Bought 20cent chow-mein flavoured noodles too but thus far I haven't been brave enough to eat them. 500 calories!
It's fair nice at the self-service check-out scanning through a load of stuff and only seeing the total go up a small bit each time.

I steer clear of the value stuff.

The amount of British style frozen pies they stock now is super deadly though.

Post of the year

I overdid it on Lidls Grafenwalder pilsner in the can and that bottled one yer going on about when they first came out.I was drinking them every night.

Same thing hasn't happened with Aldis beer though.

Mind you that Galahad shite is manky and they dropped it from 4.1 to 3.8 abv.My auld dear used to drink it until one morning we were having a few cans and she produced the Galahad and I pointed out the 3.8ness of it.Nearly swallowed her fag.Swears by lidls gargle now.

I don't know if this applies to how other countries process fruit/veg, but I've worked in a few fruit/veg sheds in Australia, and the batch generally refers to a day's picking from a specific variety on the farm. Pickers are paid by weight so will put any old shite in there. The fruit is taken to the packing shed where it's run through a machine a few times where people sort it into three or four types, basically the really good stuff (your tesco finest), the pretty good stuff (goes out with the farm's name on it in fancy 5 kilo cardboard boxes), the average stuff (goes into display type trays for supermarkets), and the shite, which goes in the bin. Some farms do another run that goes in between average and shite, which is the "value" stuff.

Which is a long way of saying, assuming it's done the same at home as it's done here, the tesco value stuff is in fact better than the regular or value stuff. I've seen some woejaysus stuff go into value bins and i've seen (and tasted when nobody's looking) some pretty damn tasty fruit and veg go into the "firsts" bins.

That said i've also had the painful job of relabeling fruit a few times to "give it a few more day's freshness" - aka changing the best before date by up to four or five days in some cases. Generally only with the value stuff though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back