What's the best way of storing information long term? (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
Other than say printing out photos and documents what's the best way of storing them and keeping them long term? Hard drives seem to die inevitably. Do DVDs last? If I burned all the data I want to keep on two DVDs would that be a way of keeping them long term?
I've had 2 hard drives die on me in the last while and I've lost a few irreplacable photos that way.

Other than say printing out photos and documents what's the best way of storing them and keeping them long term? Hard drives seem to die inevitably. Do DVDs last? If I burned all the data I want to keep on two DVDs would that be a way of keeping them long term?
I've had 2 hard drives die on me in the last while and I've lost a few irreplacable photos that way.

Long term, the only solution is regular back up.

DVD is absolutely not the way to go.
The same data mirrored on two hard disks might do it.
To do it right you'd also have to archive the PC capable or reading said hard disks though.

CDRs will apparently die, the coating will eventually rust away or some such

Pressed CDs however are more stable.

However, when you are looking long long term the problem arises what will you use to read the data even if it does die. Is it in anyway likely your great grandkids will have something to read CDs available to them?

I'd say for photos the best option is still to print them out.

I suppose I'm really talking medium term. 5-10 years. I do get most photos printed out, in fact I mainly use a print camera anyway but others' photos are often sent to you or shared online electronically and I'd like to keep them stored separate from my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back