What you listening to at the mo type of cheesy thread! (2 Viewers)

Rekids: Raised Fist- Watch your Step
Small Brown Bike/ Casket Lottery split
Catharsis- Passion
Minor Threat- Complete Discography

Random stuff off old school mix tapes: Bane, Ignite, Chain of Strength, Harum Scarum, Against All Authority, DS-13, Puget Sound, Quicksand, Inside Out.

Mp3's- La Quiete, BITTG, Black Cross.

Today I have listened to:

Isis: Panopticon and Oceanic
Yakuza-Bootlegs
Oxes-Live in the Pavillion 04
Killing Spree-Bootlegs
Jesu-Jesu

Lately other than that lot I have been listening to

Jesu
Langdon beck
Kid Blunt
Soldiers Take Half
La Quiete
Sunn o)))
Wolf Eyes
Double Leopards

muertos vivientes! said:
yeah! i'll ask him. didn't know there was an oxes one. mac has an assortment of some very dodgy killing spree gigs on cd.

I'd love to hear them sometime actually! Did he do the sound at the gig you done at the Menagerie? Sheas recording of the last show is way better I think.

Well if you cant get them of Shea I'll send you them

Ciaran Mackle said:
I'd love to hear them sometime actually! Did he do the sound at the gig you done at the Menagerie? Sheas recording of the last show is way better I think.

Well if you cant get them of Shea I'll send you them

yeah, mac did sound for about 90% of our shows and just about every hardcore/diy show in belfast for the past few years... ah pity the foo!

shea's recording would be an ambient mix whereas mac usually took the mix directly out of the desk. i have a copy of the last gig from mac, i could try combining it with shea's in work and seeing what happens...

Cormcolash said:
I would be so bold to say that Mac has a CD of pretty much all the good gigs in Belfast over the last 5 years or so, given that he did sound for most of them!

Hey, a man has got to plan for his retirement somehow.* Just as long as this msquerade of 'helping out the kids' holds out while I get my global bootleg empire on a firm footing.

* I foresee long periods off hunger punctuated by cheap beans and noodles maybe once a month if I actually put this plan into operation.

muertos vivientes! said:
shea's recording would be an ambient mix whereas mac usually took the mix directly out of the desk. i have a copy of the last gig from mac, i could try combining it with shea's in work and seeing what happens...

Possibly that recording I did then was either with ambient mics or an ambient mic on one side and a straight feed from the desk on the other. I did all the Giro's one with a stereo pair in the rafters, but they weren't very well positioned and produced a lot of phasing.

I experimented a bit with trying the one channel direct/one channel mic method there for a while, but it just meant you had to correct one side for delay (FUN FACT: Front Page PA to the sound desk takes 25 milliseconds.) I'm currently just doing both sides of the stereo recording using the raw sound from the desk. You get a better quality of recording of the instruments and vocalists at the expense of the atmosphere of actually being at a gig that you get from using ambient mics. Of course, it is possible to overcome this by lifting crowd noise from Iron Maiden's 'Live after Death' LP and dubbing it onto the gaps between Killing Spree tunes.

One thing to be borne in mind when listening to any dodgy live recording that I have knocked out: they have been mixed on the basis of being a live gig, and so some imbalance between backline and accoustic instruments or vocals is often the result of this. If I'm going through the desk then I'm going to be adding less gain to someone playing through an Ampeg 8x10 than to someone whispering into a mic, obviously. This explains why the vocals are oft overly-prominent in the recordings I do at gigs. Also mixing live means you have to compensate for the drawbacks of the PA your working with, and this sometimes forces a strange mix.

over the past few days:

wolf eyes-deranged,fuck the old miami,some untitled 7inch and cdr set
aaron dilloway-boggs vol.2
mangoon-sick day
prick decay-guidelines for basement non fidel
darkthrone-under a funeral moon
sunn o)))-grimmrobe demos
birchville cat motel-chi vampires
xasthur-the funeral of being

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back