What would you do? (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Given this hypothetical situation.

You're cycling home from work. You happen upon this guy kicking the shit out of this girl. You're closest to the incident.

What do you do?

Not what should you do. Or what would you want to do. What would you do? What would your instincts have you do.

just curious like......

Stay back, i heard of so many incidents where someone gets involved and the girl then turns on them and joins her boyfriends side then they're both beating the shit out of you. Women are assholes.

Given this hypothetical situation.

You're cycling home from work. You happen upon this guy kicking the shit out of this girl. You're closest to the incident.

What do you do?

Not what should you do. Or what would you want to do. What would you do? What would your instincts have you do.

just curious like......
I can sum up the responses to this thread in two words: "It depends".

Without being there to assess the hypothetical situation first hand, it's hard to judge whether actually getting involved is wise. Regardless of that I'd call the cops, and more importantly I'd let it be known that I'm calling the cops. Loudly.

Stay back, i heard of so many incidents where someone gets involved and the girl then turns on them and joins her boyfriends side then they're both beating the shit out of you. Women are assholes.

take photos on your phone and call the cops. and tell him you are calling the cops.

this happened to me yesterday.

I didn't think.

I got involved.

I'm glad I did.

But then it turned out that the bloke doing the beating was married to the woman in question. Not that it should matter. No one deserves to be treated like that.

Other people's reactions were interesting.

Its a mess. The whole thing left me feeling completely like shit.

I know the bloke who got stabbed with a sword in Sandymount for getting involved in a similar situation to this last year.

Because of this I wouldn't get involved and I think I'd do what broken_arm says.

this happened to me yesterday.

I didn't think.

I got involved.

I'm glad I did.

But then it turned out that the bloke doing the beating was married to the woman in question. Not that it should matter. No one deserves to be treated like that.

Other people's reactions were interesting.

Its a mess. The whole thing left me feeling completely like shit.

Most violent acts are between people known to each other. Most violence against women is committed by partners, so the chances are that when you come across a situation like this, it's going to be a partner or an ex-partner, making everything automatically complicated. And because victims of violence frequently protect their abusers, it's also common that they will turn on anyone who interferes.

I'm glad everything worked out okay, though. I'm sure it is a mess. But you know, at some point, maybe she'll look back and realise that not everyone thinks she deserves a kick in the face and it will mean something.

I'm really sorry you feel like shit, though. There's probably no way around that. What a bummer.

I know the bloke who got stabbed with a sword in Sandymount for getting involved in a similar situation to this last year.

Because of this I wouldn't get involved and I think I'd do what broken_arm says.

that only occurred to me after. Like I say, instinct kicked in and I didn't think. I was a little shaken after it, but not a bit shaken during the whole thing. When I stopped and challenged yer man he motioned as if to go for me. I'm slight enough, but I'm nearly 6ft tall, so I reckon he thought twice. Then he legged it.

All I could think of was that could be my ma or sister. And I'd hope someone would intervene if something like that ever happened them.

Fuck standing by doing nothing.

I did call the cops after. They came along and I left them to it. I don't know what happened after.

People are fuckers. Who would treat another human being like that? Especially a woman (I don't mean to sound patronising, but when it comes to the physical stakes, its not exactly a fair fight).

out of interest, did they take your details?

yeah. I was wondering whether to say anything on here or not cos of that. But who'll ever know I guess.

Not that it matters, but the people involved were what the indo would call, 'the new irish'. I only mention that because I get the impression that they seem to regard females far lower than should be the case. Maybe thats some innate prejudice of mine. I don't think it is though. I hope its not.

that only occurred to me after. Like I say, instinct kicked in and I didn't think. I was a little shaken after it, but not a bit shaken during the whole thing. When I stopped and challenged yer man he motioned as if to go for me. I'm slight enough, but I'm nearly 6ft tall, so I reckon he thought twice. Then he legged it.

All I could think of was that could be my ma or sister. And I'd hope someone would intervene if something like that ever happened them.

Fuck standing by doing nothing.

I did call the cops after. They came along and I left them to it. I don't know what happened after.

People are fuckers. Who would treat another human being like that? Especially a woman (I don't mean to sound patronising, but when it comes to the physical stakes, its not exactly a fair fight).

But it's true -- mostly in the physical stakes, the reality is, unless a woman is a trained boxer or something, the average man has far more upper body strength than even a relatively strong woman, and has the physical advantage.

I'm really glad you're okay, though. Sadly, the chances of the woman pressing charges (or at least not dropping them once they've been pressed) are very slim. Or who knows, maybe it was a wakeup call for her? What was her reaction?

Most violent acts are between people known to each other. Most violence against women is committed by partners, so the chances are that when you come across a situation like this, it's going to be a partner or an ex-partner, making everything automatically complicated. And because victims of violence frequently protect their abusers, it's also common that they will turn on anyone who interferes.

I'm glad everything worked out okay, though. I'm sure it is a mess. But you know, at some point, maybe she'll look back and realise that not everyone thinks she deserves a kick in the face and it will mean something.

I'm really sorry you feel like shit, though. There's probably no way around that. What a bummer.

Your previous encounters, as mentioned here before, occurred to me after too. I didn't know the situation. I didn't know they were married. But I don't think I'd have acted differently even if I did. When I stopped it was too dark to make out who was involved. I actually thought it was 2 kids messing at first and thought nothing of it. It was only when I saw punches and a couple of kicks that I realised that wasn't the case.

Fuck it. People are shits.

But it's true -- mostly in the physical stakes, the reality is, unless a woman is a trained boxer or something, the average man has far more upper body strength than even a relatively strong woman, and has the physical advantage.

I'm really glad you're okay, though. Sadly, the chances of the woman pressing charges (or at least not dropping them once they've been pressed) are very slim. Or who knows, maybe it was a wakeup call for her? What was her reaction?

she was terrified. Her daughter (about 14/15) was there watching the whole thing. Thats another thing that made me glad to have stopped it.

I was chatting to her while we were waiting for the gardai. She said she made a complaint about her husband before. For the same thing. This time though, she said he threatened to kill her.

Your previous encounters, as mentioned here before, occurred to me after too. I didn't know the situation. I didn't know they were married. But I don't think I'd have acted differently even if I did. When I stopped it was too dark to make out who was involved. I actually thought it was 2 kids messing at first and thought nothing of it. It was only when I saw punches and a couple of kicks that I realised that wasn't the case.

Fuck it. People are shits.

Ugh, you must feel like shit.

But people are not shits -- you're not a shit! Your absolute first instinct was to help, which means that you are not a shit, and which means that it is not true to say that people are shits. It's totally crappy to feel that way, though.

Not that it's the same, but when we were in Barcelona, this family was at the next table, and they had a toddler with them who was getting fussy, so they got rough with him, and so he -- obviously -- got fussier. so they got rougher, and finally, the dad lifted him up by one arm and dragged him out. He could have dislocated the poor lad's shoulder! I was sitting there and actually started to tear up and had to keep myself from just sobbing. I mean, to see someone treat a child like that in public. It's fucking awful when you see people hurting each other. Despair is all I end up feeling. And anger. And then despair that I've added more anger to the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back