What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (7 Viewers)

I agree with much of this, and perhaps, unsurprisingly, disagree with some aspects! It *could* be argued that women are also a marginalised community. We certainly don't have the issues licked that women face every day. This particular issue that JK Rowling is in the storm of at the moment is getting increasingly toxic-and I am very hesitant to wade in-but hey, I guess at least I am dipping my toe in a little on Thumped, and not on Twitter.....but I will say that my desire is always that people are reasonable towards each other, and that the balancing of rights is fundamental and should be thoroughly examined-perhaps, as has been mentioned-Twitter is not that forum! Some of the nuts and bolts of these issues are getting lost in a hectoring that leaves me feeling quite defeated, almost like being sat at a dinner table where two friends are roaring at each other, and language and meaning kind of disintegrates into nothingness.

From my own perspective, I have lived almost four decades on this earth, and I have never experienced a more misogynistic period than the last few years. For example, if you even do a cursory glance into statistics at home and abroad in terms of criminal law-and the cases of sexual assault, rape, the incel "movement" and so forth, it is incredibly distressing. I was talking to my Mum about this a while back, who is 70 now-she agrees, and she cannot understand what is happening. I have to be honest, sometimes I don't know what the hell is happening, and I don't really have any easy solutions, except to say that working towards a reasonable balancing of rights, and a considered approach to issues that have very far-reaching effects to many interest groups is key. I am led by compassion and reason. It's sad to write that I have never lived through as misogynistic a time as now, but that's how I feel. However, I still have a love of the world, and a belief in better days to come (I can almost hear Glinda the Good Witch saying those words...I do love her actually).

I guess that is where I will leave it for today, as I unfortunately have to get back to work. I wish you all a good evening!
I can’t really disagree with any of this and my post is not necessarily directed at you btw. I think the reality is that cancel culture is here and we’re not going to get rid of it. Like anything, there’s a happy medium in it (say de-platforming openly hateful speakers like Gemmtrails) but the extremes (“Those statues are part of history!” excuses for keeping racists on a podium or absolutely cancelling everything about a person because of one tweet) are where it falls down.

i saw a tweet from hazel chu apologising for using what i can only guess was the same word, also in the context of discussing racism, several years ago.

and i just struck me kinda funny that you can't talk about the language of racists when talking about racism.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

hazel chu just seems like a decent skin, and speaking as someone whose experience of racism basically extends to 'ah you're irish, you like the drink' (i.e. i'm so far from an expert on this it's not funny), it seems weird that someone who deals with racism on a daily basis has to apologise for a non-racist comment lest she appear to be racist?

i'm too old for this shit.

She has always had something likeable about her.

Anywhooo I looked at the twitter thread for ER and its a bunch of white people having a debate about black people or at least being offended on their behalf. In the context of disability we have the phrase 'nothing about us without us' I.e. don't debate disability over the heads of the disabled. About 90% of this twitter spat seems to be that except over the concept of acceptable use of language. Plenty of people trying to score politics points. I'd like to see a statement from somone who actually has to deal with that language.

the author of the piece ryan was quoting just appeared on morning ireland. he described the use of the word as a 'misstep' but said there was clearly no malice in its use, and that the intention was clearlygood; and also mentioned that he'd hate to think that people might avoid talking about these topics for fear of inadvertently saying the wrong thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back