What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (2 Viewers)

Is this like, Leninism for celebrities? Nationalize Heat Magazine!

Possibly something like that yes!

I'm being a bit facetious in the above obviously but to put it another way - public platforms are a privilege as opposed to a right - and while the mechanisms for how this it's done are obviously imperfect and open to question - I think it's a healthy thing for a culture to be able to take away that right - for us to say "You know what, we're not having this shite from you anymore".

Often those who complain about"cancel culture" are those from whom this privilege has been taken away (though often they are just claiming it has been taken away) and were previously used to being able to spout whatever it was they were spouting without any comeback from anyone.

Let's all remember that John Waters got cancelled. I don't think we are all the poorer without his nuanced views in the Irish Times. And if I really feel the need to hear the opposing viewpoint and shake myself out of my lefty bubble I can always go onto his Youtube channel or whatever the fuck it is he uses to spout his bullshit now.

I was about to say that maybe we should totally democratise things and let everyone have a platform for one week once in their lives but then realised that's beginning to sound like ... Twitter .... hmmmm.

Cancelling looks for people to repent pretty fast too. Probably gonna have to sit through epic movies about this eventually.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Guaranteed Brendan O'Neill or some other cunt is writing about the historical abuses associated with the tea industry in retaliation.

This was clearly a post about cultural erasure and the conflict of the HP fan who is now faced with weighing up the extent at which they ally with the trans community and the sentimental horcrux of their childhood - of course against a backdrop of BLM protests removing the statues of slavers this becomes more complex as the commitment must be comparable to be of value in the cancel economy. At the same time the slaver statues are removed the remants of the slave empire are still on tap day to day in the Irish Isles, so the problematic nuance, does growing up in potterworld arm someone with a scope wide enough to realise that trans rights are important while still leaving scope to erase the source of potterworld. Complex times, Cancelled ann post.

Also it reminded me just how great a band name Erasure is.

Daniel radcliff reacts.. the process of detatching the author from the books begunning.

Yeesh, I enjoy the Harry Potter books a fair bit but it was always cozy comfort reading. Even in the ideal Death of the Author situation (lol) those books aren't going to get any better.

I'm a little skeptical of anyone who says as if "the truth" was easy to identify

but still, some interesting points in there

Its a bit different in the USA though - Here we have the *glances around room* BAI / NUJ and a code of conduct around *glances around room* balance. In the USA you can go full 24/7 propaganda with literally nothing to stop you other than a suitable amount of money.

It's kinda a node for modern fundamentalists with some form of sacrifice to a transient nexus. It could even be looked at like some kind of organic RAM, all the little segments being either in 1/0 state depending on what [famous person] has said. At the time of writing public opinion of JK Rowling is in the 0 state because education around trans issues moved into the 1 state. BLM movement is in the 1 state unless the user is in Ireland where the state can be 1 or 0 depending on wether their patience with social distance is 1 or 0. Monuments to slavery era figureheads entered ram in a 0 state.

I use it for news for work. I do like parts of it sometimes. I find the current tone of delivery, or the patterned tones hard to read. Like a certain format of tweet becomes popular and then all info has to come through that filter for a few days. I was today years old when I wrote this.
My brain hurt when I read this! I barely know what RAM is :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back