What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (13 Viewers)

(sighs)
For a fella who's against competition you sure are determined to turn every conversation into an argument. Carry on yourself there and let us know if you come up with anything interesting
Well let this be a lesson to you for deciding to take the side of a Tory out of pure contrarianism.

I only included fighting because I was talking about Mongols, so ignore that. Say in Holy Catholic Ireland people gained status by being seeing as religious, so we had huge attendance at Mass, and the 8th, and contraception being made illegal. Contraception was made illegal because someone wanted everyone to think they were holy, and in order to do that they introduced a bill to uphold Irish morality, and everyone voted for it cos they wanted to be holy too.

It's not competition, it's theatre.

And in a theatre where money is what gets the applause, then people will pursue that - and I think possibly that is the reason why Europe took over the world. It's the theatre within which money first became the best applause-getter
Well I’m not sure about that at all. Restricting contraception is not so much a piece of theatre as it is a way of control (particularly women, particularly the working class). Religion is the smokescreen used to justify it.

I disagree. I don't think anyone has a fundamental drive to control women. I do think everyone has a fundamental drive to gain the regard of their in-group
WTF?! Seriously, look around you in 2021. Let alone cast your mind back 20/50/100/1000 years and can you honestly say that neither individuals nor entire societys have had a fundamental drive to control women?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The maddest thing about that for me is the idea of Charli XCX using real drums again.

Lol her new album is called Crash after the Cronenberg film, but also it just makes me think of Charli XCX writing Warm Leatherette 45 years after the Normal and being like "hey, this is the motherfucking future"

My word those drums sound shit

Yep, seriously. I'm not saying that women aren't controlled, I'm saying that the reason for the controlling behaviour is status-seeking, not anything fundamental in and of itself. I'm essentially agreeing with @Lili Marlene - there's nothing about humans that makes the burqa inevitable
I honestly don’t follow.

Please, stop, don't drag me back into this. I don't agree that status-seeking or in-group out-group signaling runs everything!

Basically I think that status seeking (in the animal behaviour sense) is a huge driver of human behaviour and has lots of explanatory power for all kinds of things. Meeting now, can expound more later/tomorrow if you like, but I seem to be rubbing people up the wrong way a bit

Basically I think that status seeking (in the animal behaviour sense) is a huge driver of human behaviour and has lots of explanatory power for all kinds of things. Meeting now, can expound more later/tomorrow if you like, but I seem to be rubbing people up the wrong way a bit

I think saying women are only being controlled because of some sort of approval or status or for theatre and not for the obvious power play / patriarchal self glorification would indeed annoy the fuck out of a lot of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back