What Music Books Have You Read Recently? (3 Viewers)

Read that Clinton Heylin one too, good range of stuff not always covered in punk books like Cleveland scene etc, he is a bit of a yap though, very dismissive of the Ramones...

Aye, the one saving grace was dealing with scenes that are often overlooked - Paisley Underground, early indie country, Norn Iron scene etc.. His taste is beyond belief though..

next up:

last-chorus-autobiographical-medley-humphrey-lyttelton-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

book-cover.jpg

I started this the other week, a formative account that will transport you back in time to the origins of grunge.

Read most of the Belle & Sebastien book during the summer. Had to put it down, too fawning, example: "then the boy genius took his genius songs to the dirty masses, soon they would know his genius and how much of a genius the boy was"*

*not a direct quote but you get the jist.

What book is that? And how much does he go into it?

It's called "Babylons Burning - From Punk To Grunge" by Clinton Heylin...there's about half a chapter on Northern Ireland

J

Can be summed up thusly: Undertones and SLF have wherewithal to escape to mainland - each did not care for the other much, nobody cares for Feargal Sharkey much, very little else to report apart from a couple of cover bands. Certainly not worth buying the book for I'd say.

Can be summed up thusly: Undertones and SLF have wherewithal to escape to mainland - each did not care for the other much, nobody cares for Feargal Sharkey much, very little else to report apart from a couple of cover bands. Certainly not worth buying the book for I'd say.

Not too surprising then. Ah well,I have It Makes You Want To Spit.

11331168.jpg

just read a review of this. looks decent.
for a book set in mid to late sevs, it thankfully doesn't just focus on cbgb/punk scene.
also covers jazz/disco/nuyorican/general living in the city at this time

anyone pick up that Dan Hegarty book, Buried Treasures? If so, any use? what albums are the 'treasures'?

CBDZPSbWwAAXu_k.jpg

11331168.jpg

just read a review of this. looks decent.
for a book set in mid to late sevs, it thankfully doesn't just focus on cbgb/punk scene.
also covers jazz/disco/nuyorican/general living in the city at this time
I read this last year.. The writing's a bit functional but he makes an admirable attempt to cover just about every form of music going on in the city in one narrative It did inspire me to listen to some stuff I hadn't previously bothered with like early hip hop, salsa, minimalist modern composers which is the best you can hope for from most music books.

More recently read Songs They Never Play on the Radio which is an account of touring with Nico in the 80s when she was a junkie living in Manchester and her career was at a low point, from the perspective of some lad who was fresh out of university and a bit green when he joined up. Grim and quite funny in turns, a bit like a real-life equivalent of that movie Frank.

I'm re-reading bits of Rip it up and start again & Retromania by Simon Reynolds. He's one of the best music writers out there.

I picked up a copy of Girl In A Band by Kim Gordon today, hopefully I'll get to reading it next week. I have my eye on that recent Robert Wyatt biography but I think I'll wait for paperback, hardbacks are a nuisance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back