What movie did you watch last night? (26 Viewers)

There Will Be Blood.

I'm fucked if it's not the best film i've seen in the past 2 or 3 years.

It's a pretty much a character driven flick.It's a relatively small cast for such a large film, so it's easy to focus on everything thats going on. The central characters play off each other perfectly. D.D.Lewis is non-stop the whole way through.

It's beautifully shot. And scored perfectly; really good soundtrack.

Production design's spot on too, detailing the practice of early prospectors n turn of the century america.

and you gotta admire P.T Anderson's timing. He's such a cheeky motherfucker.

I'm done gushing. See it.

i don't remember the last time i've been as excited to see a single movie. Corey, you've whopped me up into a frenzy!

i don't remember the last time i've been as excited to see a single movie. Corey, you've whopped me up into a frenzy!

No Country For Old Men.

Fantastic.
Most Cohen Brother films are great but finally one that isn't quirky. It's a huge step up for them. They have just moved from being cult heroes in the league of really important filmakers up there with people like Scorsese.

I thought the ending was great - I haven't read the book but I guessed the end was coming in the midlle of Tommy Lee Jones speech - the groan from the audiesnce when the credits came up was hillarious and the fact that there was no credits music made it even better

Hmm. Yeah I really enjoyed this too. Loved how they built-up the tension in certain scenes-especially without the use of incidental music. Initially I was thinking they'd just remade Fargo in West Texas but there's an interesting philosophical discourse running though it that makes me want to se it again.
All the talk of the three male performances has eclipsed Kelly McDonald's turn in it which was brilliant, I thought.

Mind you, I was hoping someone would say 'Anton Shugre? He's a f-cking nihilist, dude'.

Hmm. Yeah I really enjoyed this too. Loved how they built-up the tension in certain scenes-especially without the use of incidental music. Initially I was thinking they'd just remade Fargo in West Texas but there's an interesting philosophical discourse running though it that makes me want to se it again.
All the talk of the three male performances has eclipsed Kelly McDonald's turn in it which was brilliant, I thought.

Mind you, I was hoping someone would say 'Anton Shugre? He's a f-cking nihilist, dude'.

Kelly McDonalds scottish accent is the sexyist thing on the planet - even though she was great - I'd loved to have heard her speaking scottish. :heart:

I'll definately catch it again before it leaves the cinema.

Vanishing point(the origional from '71)
Queens of the stoneage-over the years and through the woods (if it counts. does it?)

There Will Be Blood

Only regret is watching a stream and not waiting for the cinema, though I will be the first past the doors when it opens. Haunting, weird, visionary, hypnotic.

One phrase

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAAAAAAAAAAAAKE

Corey is right, it's as good a movie as any in years and years. It also has several set-piece scenes that will become cult cinematic stock along the lines of 'heeeeeeere's johnny' or 'I am spartacus'.

I went to see the kite runner at the weekend. Two childhood friends in Kabul, a bit of buggery, taliban, father and son stuff. About halfway through i thought it was just going to follow a fairly predictable formula but the second half, some of which is set in Afghanistan (one or two mountains), is quite tense and moving. Best new film I've seen in a while.

No Country For Old Men.

Fantastic.
Most Cohen Brother films are great but finally one that isn't quirky. It's a huge step up for them. They have just moved from being cult heroes in the league of really important filmakers up there with people like Scorsese.

going to see this tonight and interested by your post mortem.

There Will Be Blood.

I'm fucked if it's not the best film i've seen in the past 2 or 3 years.

It's a pretty much a character driven flick.It's a relatively small cast for such a large film, so it's easy to focus on everything thats going on. The central characters play off each other perfectly. D.D.Lewis is non-stop the whole way through.

It's beautifully shot. And scored perfectly; really good soundtrack.

Production design's spot on too, detailing the practice of early prospectors n turn of the century america.

and you gotta admire P.T Anderson's timing. He's such a cheeky motherfucker.

I'm done gushing. See it.

HOW did you get to see this already may I ask?!?
i can't bleedin wait to see it.

1735-large.jpg

this was great, but of course very very sad. was bawling my eyes out crying by the end. eccleston was brilliant. only wished they had spent more time on the judicial process itself.

Saw No Country For Old Men tonight. Fucking amazing. Despite being an actual superbly made film, the story and the underlying philosophy of the film is sublime. The tension was something else.

"You can't stop what's coming" pretty much sums up the philosophy which is said several times in the film, esp by Tommy Lee. Hell of a lot of predetermination etc. It's also why the Sheriff was so troubled at the end of the movie by the dream. Chigurh & Moss had accepted their respective fates but Bell hadn't. (couldn't save the day etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back