What movie did you watch last night? (7 Viewers)

Zeelander said:
Love Liza is brilliant, in a pathetic, sorrowful sort of way. I could have cried from start to finish if I didn't have my tough guy repuation to uphold. PSH plays hopeless losers so well! Doesn't character actor just mean "dude what is typecast" anyway?
I would say that I think its actually incredibly easy to make someone look pathetic in a film, except that its so excrutiating that no one wants to watch it - hence it is rare that there's a film entirely devoted to patheticity such as Love Liza . However just cos its about something different doesn't make it good or a moodpiece or anything, just kinda...crap in my opinion.

also PSH played Lester Bangs in Almost Famous and his character in Fantastic Mr. Ripley was not pathetic, just a cunt!

yesterday watched pirates of the carrrribbbbbean - which a pretty stylish romp. hadn't seen it before even tho it was in my gaff for ages - johnny depp is deadly, keira kneightly (sp?) also alright. yer man gareth from the office was a bit shit. orlanda bloom is definitely retarded in some way.

also saw friday night lights which i was very interested in because i read the book a few months ago. it wasn't as good as the book because the book had a lot of journalist/social commentary style stuff they couldn't fit in. also they changed a few minor details but apart from that they staryed away from the hollywood shit and the film was excellent and had a really great soundtrack by explosions in the sky (and other deadly assorted tunes)....very impressed altogether.

coast to coast said:
also PSH played Lester Bangs in Almost Famous and his character in Fantastic Mr. Ripley was not pathetic, just a cunt!

He played a nasty charactor in Punch Drunk Love too.

oh i watched black flag live in england 1984 too
cool watchin the crowd go from losin it to just standin around during the slow sludgy shit

Antrophe said:
Anyone watch Monthy Python's And Now For Something Completly Different? A Mix of the different sketches from the series, it just reminded me of how truly odd Terry Gilliam's cartoon interludes were. Completely worth sitting through, the upper class twit of the year competition at the end is probably one of the most hilarious things I've seen. Funny too how much influence Monthy Python has had.

yep. its sort of a "best of" the sketches from the tv series with a bigger budget.
i remember watching it with a friend lately, and she pointed out that so much british comedy since then is directly influenced by parts of it: look, thats very chris morris, thats very bill bailey, thats very father ted etc...
does that have the gilliam animation of the guy who tries to shave and cuts his head off? i love that one. some great lines also: "enough of this gay banter."

Some film (I missed the first few minutes and the title) about this Turkish lad and lass living in Germany who have a marriage of convenience so the lass can go off and have the life of western drugs and shagging. Much pain, madness and heartbreak ensues. Quite good though.

frona said:
Some film (I missed the first few minutes and the title) about this Turkish lad and lass living in Germany who have a marriage of convenience so the lass can go off and have the life of western drugs and shagging. Much pain, madness and heartbreak ensues. Quite good though.

Gegen die Wand/Head-On?

t'weren't bad

ICUH8N said:
Gegen die Wand/Head-On?

t'weren't bad
affiche.jpg

That's it. That burd was mental...

MONDOBRUTALE said:
oh i watched black flag live in england 1984 too
cool watchin the crowd go from losin it to just standin around during the slow sludgy shit

that's a class video, love that mad shit rollins spouts at the end .... what is it? something about knowing that he is actually himself or something... nutter

oh shit said:
that's a class video, love that mad shit rollins spouts at the end .... what is it? something about knowing that he is actually himself or something... nutter

well he starts if off with the henry miller spiel about how he isn't the same as the punks and they should be themselves (this is what i got from it)
he says something to 'em before the last song about "i'm ok man...there's nothing wrong with me" - then at the end kira points out that some dudes kept givin them shit during 'rats eyes'....and he goes into the same thing
"i'm ok, man. there's nothing wrong with me. when you make fun of us, you make fun of yourself, i'm ok man"

deadly video - shame a lot of the banter is obviously cut out.

rollins = super intense during the sludge bits
just standin face down 'search and destroy' in half-view under long headed willfuckyouup stance

greg ginn guitar solos = haha amzing

Brian Conniffe said:
she pointed out that so much british comedy since then is directly influenced by parts of it: look, thats very chris morris, thats very bill bailey, thats very father ted etc...

Yeah that's exactly it. Either Harry Enfield or The Fast Show directly lifted the violent deliquent grannies sketch straight off it with barely an effort to conceal it, then the whole mock Prime Time (being stuck in bog one and two land for so long, I couldn't think of the equivilent across the sea, Panorama maybe?) analysis framing it smacks of Chris Morris. Great stuff all round.

Watched two more movies from Educational Archives - More Sex And Drugs.

Red Light, Green Light: Meeting Stangers - over the top warning rant highlighted the dangers of strangers to kids. From 1969 or so. Totally misses the point about how dangerous parents/people you know can be.

Alcohol Is Dynamite - Late 1950s piece about three underage dudes who try to get an adult to buy them booze. Instead they get a harrowing lecture.

The Impostor on RTÉ2.

Fucking terrible. PKD is rolling in his grave, and not just because of all the speed that's left over.

H8 Gary Sinise

nlgbbbblth said:
Alcohol Is Dynamite - Late 1950s piece about three underage dudes who try to get an adult to buy them booze. Instead they get a harrowing lecture.
sounds deadly! where'd you get all these?

on a related matter.. was anyone watching tv3 news (yeah I know..) last night? there was a news segment about this drug awareness dvd that was launched yesterday. it looks amazing.... the clips shown suggest a total disregard to factual accuracy. "my friend gave me my first joint. he said it would make all my troubles evaporate..."

one of the guys interviewed at the launch said: "people spray deoderant on socks and inhale it, it gives them the same effects as LSD used to..."

wtf!? :D

PS: anybody watch lethal weapon 4 the other night!? heheh....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back