What movie did you watch last night? (17 Viewers)

Society Of The Snow - this is the new and proper film about the 1972 Uruguayan rugby team Andes plane crash. Unlike Alive, this is told properly and accurately using the real names of the people involved - Alive basically did a kind of hatchet job on the whole thing, for anyone unaware.
I saw a documentary on this a couple of years ago and I find the whole thing fascinating, it's an incredible survival story, two months up near the top of a mountain and 16 of them made it out. Two fuckin months like! Just think, if something like that were to happen now, there'd surely be somebody with a mobile phone that could get a bar of signal to call for help.
Anyway the film is absolutely amazing, it's told from the vantage point of one of the lads and is perfectly measured. It's not exploitative or or disrespectful or anything like that, it's just a fuckin great survival against the odds film telling one of the most mental survival stories there is. It's a Spanish production (Spanish director bought the rights to the book a decade ago) but was filmed in South America using Argentinian and Uruguayan actors. They also filmed parts of it at the actual location of the crash (which is a beautiful area, unless your plane has crashed there), there was engagement with all the families. It's all done properly and it's totally brilliant. The actual crash scene is fuckin mental how it's done, it's maybe just really great sound design but I think it's one of the most genuinely intense things you'll ever see on a cinema screen.
This film is Spain's entry for 'best foreign language film' at the Oscars - I haven't seen anything near as good as this all year myself, seems to me it should have as much of a shot at winning overall best picture as Parasite did.

Back to the early 70's over the weekend.
Homebodies(1974) a group of elderly people living in a condemned block of flats, earmarked for demolition and new yuppy apartments, decide to fight back. Entertaining seeing oap as killer's.

The Zodiac killer (1971) The back story to this is wild. But it's loosely the tale of the Zodiac killer, that was made and released during his killing spree, in an attempt to lure him out. It's said he did attend one of the screenings!

Ive seen too many movies to list.. was hoping to see Society Of Snow ..might go tomorrow.

Saw Saltburn yesterday .. enjoyable

Currently watching Noah. A Russell Crown biblical epic thing.

Daft shit altogether, but entertaining nonetheless. It makes a lot more sense if you remember god and men are complete cunts. And there is no end to Russell Crowe's self importance.

Watched the new Chicken Run thing. Satisfactory not-really-watching watching. Which is a pity because the work that went into it is astounding. Netflix has a cool documentary about the making of, definitely worth watching.

Recently enough:

The Mummy (2017) - Bonkers movie. Cruise looks alright in it.

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning (2023) - First hour zipped by, then it dragged. Cruise beginning to look like Ken Barlow.

Between the canals
On the rte player. A Dublin urban crime drama from 2010, hadn't seen it. Loads of familiar faces, a lot of them appeared in love/hate, even a young Barry Keoghan. Realistic, well made, acting mostly good, gets a silly 3/4s of the way in, but otherwise its fairly standard dank, depressing Dublin stuff.

Last edited:
Between the canals
On the rte player. A Dublin urban crime drama from 2010, hadn't seen it. Loads of familiar faces, a lot of them appeared in love/hate, even a young Barry Keoghan. Realistic, well made, acting mostly good, gets a silly 3/4s of the way in, but otherwise its fairly standard dank, depressing Dublin stuff.
Is that the thing with Damo Dempsey in it?

Went to a screening of this All Of Us Strangers

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The conceit works. Man visits with dead parents and talks about his life. Really got me.
I think only 4 speaking parts in the whole thing.
All four of them are solid in it; Mescal, Foy, Bell. But Scott is just beautiful and perfect in it.

People were slow to leave the theatre, cos they were crying.
Been a while since I've experienced that.

That Mescal lad is a very lucky boy because he's a terrible actor
Thought he was a mumbling dope in Normal People. Someone who'd lucked into acting gigs by being handsome or whatever.
But now I think that was the part. And he was nailing being a mumbling dope.

He was super in Carmen. And then again in this last night. Totally bought him as the tender love interest.

These lads whose public profile is bigger than their gigs have a tough time getting down into smaller roles.
Similar to Pattinson. Thought he was beyond bad in The Rover.
Now I realise it was the part and he was actually solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back