What movie did you watch last night? (14 Viewers)

Interstellar.

What can I say.Best sci fi movie in years.I didnt want it to end.

8.5/10

There's something missing in all of his films that I can't quite put my finger on.
They seem great when you are watching them but I am left with absolutely no desire to watch them again.
There's something artificial and calculated about the filigree of complicated intellectual questions he constructs in the films - it seems interesting at the time - but a few weeks reflection just blows it all away like dust.
Leaving me completely not bothered about seeing the film again.
Dark Knight Trilogy (except perhaps the first), inception (in particular) and Interstellar all suffer from this.

I felt that with Interstellar as well, but not so much Inception or the Dark Knight trilogy (although I have no bloody emotional investment in Batman FFS). I know most of thumped was very sniffy about Inception though.

220px-Fat_City_DVD_cover.jpg

Fat City (1972)

Really liked this. recommend. there isn't a weak actor in it.

I hated the last batman film so much it has spoiled anything with any of those actors in it for me. Not arsed with Nolan anymore.

Lately watched

Orphan (2009)
220px-Orphanposter.jpg

Dud. Most interesting thing to say is that I spent the first half of the film thinking Vera Farmiga (horn thread) was actually Carice van Houten (horn thread).

Headhunters (2011)
220px-Headhunter_poster.jpg

I only recorded this because it had Jamie Lannister in it (horn thread) thinking I was in for a Nordic Noir style talkie. WRONG, this is a fast paced, left field, crime thriller with a slight horror undercurrent. I thought it was class. Recommended. Couple of MENTAL scenes.

Amour (2012)
Amour-poster-french.jpg

Directed by the guy that made The White Ribbon, also brilliant. French film about a well off elderly Parisian couple dealing with the aftermath of a serious stroke. Doesn't sound like a barrel of laughs, but I thought it was a beautiful piece of film making. Extremely watchable.

He's usually plays the same cuddly, scruffy, stoner-dude persona that gets on my tits.
What did you like about Birdman? I thought it was irredeemably bad.

I thought the performances were uniformly excellent and loved how the whole thing looked and was shot. While the story was a bit of a movie business love-in, it held my attention throughout, and there were some very powerful scenes.

And....Andrea Riseborough was in it

tumblr_njtmmke9e01s638qao1_540.jpg

Watched "While we're young" there.

Really really good film, says lot's about hipsters being pricks and what is wrong with the world. Great exploration of truth.
There is actually loads of great stuff about this film, it explores lots of different ideas of what film-making is about whilst providing a narrative throughout, it's also self-referential, etc., very clever film, definitely one the film students should appreciate!

Another great thing about it was that when I went to see it, it was sold out, so I got a ticket for the Fast and the Furious 7 instead, then just went into the other screen and took one of the 10 or so empty seats dotted around the place, ha!

I had a nice boozy movie night with a friend where we watched The Devil Rides out. One of my favourite Hammer films, spooky and yet very cosy. Interesting after reading Carnacki again recently. There's definitely an influence that probably goes back to Wheatly's book.

Seems appropriate to watch some more Hammer and I'm kind of in the mood for one of my faves, so I'm going to watch The Reptile or The Gorgan. Same films really.

Interstellar.

Too long and not enough space scenes, the robots were amazing though. Best movie robots in a long while. Also the word gravity is used too much in it and that poem is shite and "love".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back